The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I hope everyone realizes that Remi won't be the savior we need?

We thought Martin O'Neill was... we were proved wrong

We thought Paul Lambert was... we were proved wrong

We thought Tim Sherwood was... we were proved wrong again

• Like 2

Third time lucky maybe?

One things for sure, his football style is the way forward.

With regards to remi, wwe're yet to be proven wrong...if I'm not mistaken?

Edited by Neil

So you can see into the future?

He may not be our saviour but no one can say that with any certainty. I prefer to live in hope, keep the faith and be positive. 

• Like 3

Every manager presents a risk coming into an unstable situation and only time will tell if the risk was worth taking.

For what it's worth Mcleish was a monster risk especially after taking the shit down the season before which was the main reason I was disgusted at the club for hiring him. Just to reiterate absolutely disgusted!

I was also massively underwhelmed with the Lambert appointment also and was at the Norwich game when the fans started singing name and to be honest I felt slightly embarrassed even though I was pissed at the time and had a fantastic day. But I never believed he could manage a club our size or as transpired, deal with the ego's within the club at the time and strip the squad maintaining good football keeping things balanced. The Bent debacle and Culverhouse and what's his face sagas confirming this imo. Although I think having an idiot like Faulkner running the ship assisted in breaking Lambert to a degree even if he didn't help himself.

Sherwood I felt although inexperienced brought an upbeat attitude which was exactly what was needed at a time when we were at our lowest. I was never truly convinced about Sherwood as a tactician or as someone who could push us on, but I hoped he could and thought he deserved a chance to try- especially after believing he was responsible for our summer signings. The unravelling of his position came quick through contradiction, uncertainty and finally erratic decision making proving the job was beyond his current skill set.

As for our new manager. As with most of us I don't know much about him other than he has a decent pedigree in top flight football. Has managed at one of Frances top clubs at a time when they were cost cutting regularly and managed to maintain their status. He appears calm, measured and from reports, tactically on his game, something which I feel all 3 of our previous managers lacked. For me tactical nous is where it is at in the modern game as the margins in top flight football are minimal at best. It's like chess on grass!

Now only time will tell if Garde is the real deal and cannot only keep us up but transform the club on the pitch in the long term. One thing I can say though is that there is something about him that makes me personally feel we are in good hands finally. Can't quite put my finger on it but the guy oozes class, he appears measured and calm and has no doubt learnt much from 2 of the best managers that have graced our league, at different times certainly but both Wenger and Houllier aren't mugs.

I also think Tom Fox is seriously putting his own reputation massively on the line as this appointment will most definitely be all his due to the French influx and Arsenal connection. For that reason I think Remi will get everything he needs to succeed come January if we need additions to the squad.

Anyway I just have a good feeling about Remi and hope he can confirm my own confidence in his ability to turn us round with what I believe is a decent squad. 

I don't agree with all you say, but I do wish more people would put the time and effort to lay out their opinions like this once in a while.

We all get caught up in the sniping now and then, it's kinda fun or we wouldn't do it, but forums, especially this one and its precursor which shall not be named, were built on posts like this. Good man.

• Like 3

I hope he is our saviour but we have the tendency to overhype or over criticise on here e.g.

Lambert was billed as the best British manager by some on his arrival. 

Gestede was billed as the new Pelle/Shearer. 

Ayew was supposedly the worst player we've ever had after a few minutes.

Veretout was supposedly going to be our most expensive sale. 

The list is endless. 

So let's let Remi do his thing for a significant period of time before going overboard in praise or criticism. 

Edited by West
  • Like 4

Also, Remi is three years older than Tim... He appears to have looked after himself better. Looks significantly younger at least, although six months at Villa should see that right

Yes I thought the same. Sherwood always looked very stressed.

He's the exact opposite of Sherwood isn't he? Calm, intelligent and gives good answers. Sherwood was just ego, blasé and "my win percentage" and all that bs. Of course it means nothing If RG doesn't win games but I do like him and his style already.

To be fair, in hindsight I think someone like Sherwood was exactly what we needed short term when he came in. Just a confidence boost who could harness the new manager bounce.
But he was never ever going to work long term.

I'm much more encouraged by what I've heard form and about Garde than at any time under Sherwood.

He did a grand job of making a mug of Pete Colley. Not in some over the top, in your face kind of way but with the swiftness of a sharp knife between the ribs. He sold himself completely to me there, using intelligence, charm and above all he oozed a calm and measured confidence I've not seen from a manager of ours in donkey's years. If his team plays as good a game as he talks then we are set. 

He was right, we are indeed in the honeymoon period. So why not take that enthusiasm down the ground with us Sunday, lets get behind the boys and help them to give Man City the game of their **** lives. 

• Like 4

Harry Redknapp has admitted that he was shocked when Villa appointed Remi Garde.

He stated: "Garde would never have come to my mind if asking me [for a manager, unless Rosie got involved or there was a brown paper bag.].

Thanks for that 'Arry.

Comment on this article http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/11/04/harry-redknapp-reacts-to-remi-gardes-appointment-at-aston-villa/page/1/

:D

There is a new comment on that post...

• Like 1

Â