The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

We've some interesting fixtures coming up. We have Man City first, all I want from this is to see some kind of improvement and organisation. Everton away would be a game i'd like to see more improvement, is a point possible? The first major game for Garde is against Watford at home, a must win. Then we have Southampton away, Arsenal at home, Newcastle away and West Ham at home, before we end the year at Norwich away.

9 points minimum needed from those I think... 

January is a month we need to be looking at maximum points, if that happens we'll be on 25 points for the run in.

That's what I'm hoping for. November for Garde to get organised and decide on his system and personnel and target some points from Watford.

December to develop what he's started and try to get some points from Newcastle and Norwich. 

January is when we should be hitting our stride and picking up a number of victories. If we haven't started picking up the wins by January we're well and truly gone.

• Like 2

I still can't believe that there are people who actually believe this squad is bad enough to be cut adrift at the bottom of the table.

Nobody is expecting miracles. All we want is the team to have a bit of direction and look like they're remotely playing to their potential.

Sherwood had us far far short of that,

No competent goalkeeper, dodgy error prone centre backs, weak central midfielders and no goalscorer. I think it's easy to see why people belive this squad is so bad

• Like 2

I still can't believe that there are people who actually believe this squad is bad enough to be cut adrift at the bottom of the table.

Nobody is expecting miracles. All we want is the team to have a bit of direction and look like they're remotely playing to their potential.

No competent goalkeeper, dodgy error prone centre backs, weak central midfielders and no goalscorer. I think it's easy to see why people belive this squad is so bad

There's a difference between bad and bottom of the table with 4 points in mid november.

The former isn't an rgument. We are bad.

However, we're not as bad as our league position suggests. If you believe we are then you're doing the players a disservice.

• Like 1

If you believe we are then you're doing the players a disservice.

The players have shown very little thus far so I disagree

Not picking on you but you made a concise point so I wanted to ask a simple question if this is your thinking. You say we have a good enough squad to survive and it just needs direction and them playing to their potential so, if we are relegated, does this mean Garde failed and was another bad manager?

My issue is I DO think this squad is bad enough to be cut a drift, I genuinely do, and take no pleasure from it (I have a season ticket a few rows from the dugout so have to exper8this pain every few weeks!) but have seen very little individual quality in the players even if you put aside the team aspect.

Richards for example has shown leadership, aggression (too much!) and gone on a few marauding runs but Veretout, Crespo, Gana, Sanchez, Lescott, Gabby, Gestede haven't shown any quality, to differing amounts. Gana looks ok but fairly anonymous, but no where near Delph quality and you'd expect that regardless of management he individually would have created more excitement even if there was no end product, a run, a shot, something. Gestede is solely about attacking headers (but his flickons are awful, watch them next match) and no amount of training and organisations is going to give Lescott back the years.

I think our 'best XI' is still far far too weak. The best defence we can muster has at least one dodgy CB. The strike force we have is simply not good enough, it's the key aspect that relegates teams not scoring goals and even the most optimistic fan recognises we HAVE to place hope in Ayew as there are no other options. In the midfield we have a lot more choice and luxury players which is the one area Garde may make an impact.

I'll be back at VP year on year regardless of what division we're in. I'll support any new manager and the players during the match. But I can't lie to myself to pretend these are good enough players to help us survive because I don't believe that. Garde might be able to take them in and get them organised and understanding each other and perhaps even fitter and concentrate more, but I doubt he can make them significantly better and younger! If he makes us more solid we will pick up a few points and draws, I can see that, but I'm fairly sure it'll also kill our chances of scoring as we struggled to do that with a gung-ho approach.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Because they've been managed by a total moron. I fail to see how people are still dismissing Sherwood's performance.
We were underperforming under the previous manager

Are we under performing though? Villa stopped acting like an established premier league club a few years back.

Pete Colley is a **** stupid ginger clearing in the woods, embarrassing questions. 

Garde however came across as very considered, focused and intelligent, so, so far so good.

Finally watched the press conference and holy ***** is he a word removed. Managers consulting with sporting directors and the like is such a non issue but he made such a big deal about it. I love the way Remi responded to him though :wub:

Because they've been managed by a total moron. I fail to see how people are still dismissing Sherwood's performance.

But the media told me that Tim Sherwood was doing a good job. I mean, he got us to an FA Cup final you know.

• Like 3

But the media told me that Tim Sherwood was doing a good job. I mean, he got us to an FA Cup final you know.

He did an incredible job, a team of winners he created.

• Like 1

How many goals have we conceeded through bollocks defending and bollocks general play? You can be the best manager in the world but when your players are incaple of passing it to each other, attempting stupid balls in dangerous areas, being brushed off the ball like a child, not being able to track a runner or in Guzans case flapping around at balls in the area and even more shockingly for a professional footballer not having the capability to kick the bloody thing then your buggered.

How many goals have we conceeded through bollocks defending and bollocks general play? You can be the best manager in the world but when your players are incaple of passing it to each other, attempting stupid balls in dangerous areas, being brushed off the ball like a child, not being able to track a runner or in Guzans case flapping around at balls in the area and even more shockingly for a professional footballer not having the capability to kick the bloody thing then your buggered.

The players are better than that though. While a manager can't legislate for all individual errors I think it was blatantly obvious that tactically Sherwood didn't have a clue what he was doing hence why our players have often seemed confused and rudderless.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

What was painfully obvious was that Sherwood was being out thought tactically.  Other managers were spotting the glaringly obvious weaknesses in our setup and exploiting them to get the win.  Sherwood seemed oblivious to this and failed to counter with any changes.

If reme can spot these and act accordingly, being one step ahead of the other managers tactically then that could immediately be half the battle won

• Like 1

I think that part in the PC, where the journo asked Garde if he had it in writing that he has the final say on transfers, was the journo having the same sense of dismay at how transfer dealings happen at Villa as other people. I didn't see any harm in that.

My biggest worry was that, when asked if he had it in writing that he would have final say on transfers, Garde's response was "that's the problem". Maybe he is accustomed to working with the same kind of set-up as he had at Lyon but, if he doesn't get it the same way here, how will he then react? For all we know, he could think he will get it his way and, if he doesn't, walk out on the club and who knows where we would be then. Before anyone shoots me down for suggesting that, did anyone foresee Martin O'Neil quitting the club on grounds of constructive dismissal just days before the start of a new season?

What was painfully obvious was that Sherwood was being out thought tactically.  Other managers were spotting the glaringly obvious weaknesses in our setup and exploiting them to get the win.  Sherwood seemed oblivious to this and failed to counter with any changes.

If reme can spot these and act accordingly, being one step ahead of the other managers tactically then that could immediately be half the battle won

Exactly, but who is Reme?

Â