Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Well next season will be interesting , 2 teams who have spent big will go down with us.So lets see how they do compared to us ...

Boards problem is they forget we are a football club.We watch games to see us compete and with hope we will win ..the board have signaled they will not compete and we have lost hope.So why should we go to games or buy merchandise ...

That last bit of Remi's interview reads very very very much to me like a) a man who is not taking the flack for the boards decisions and b ) a man who, by telling us how he 'isn't a quitter' clearly sending a message to the board that it'll cost them to get rid but he isn't happy - and who can blame him? 

I'm not shocked at the lack of good signings but I had, like others, held out hope of a couple of championship friendly signings. The players will be so deflated now that it's obvious we've officially given up. I expect a thrashing tomorrow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

That is precisely what the Board want us to think, and I'm not having it.

Clubs in all sorts of positions in this Country and others, in this League and others, manage to sign players if they want to.  How on earth do you know they would have had to take a pay cut ?  FFS if we'd bought 1 player they could've promised him triple the average Premier League salary for 2 years if they'd wanted to, without our books going to cock.

Players still move for many reasons, not always wages.  And why not guarantee them a move if hey want to go ?  And what about the zillions of Leagues where £10k would seem like the earth ?

Yet you really believe that every single decent player on the planet would refuse to come here ?

Nah. If you pay, you get.  But they don't WANT to pay, haven't they made it clear enough !!

I'm talking about players like Doumbia and Sane - we are the last choice for those players. We could have gone shopping lower down, in preparation for the championship, but Remi's ambition to keep us up meant he targetted players we could not possibly get, without a board willing to pay over the odds. It looks like Remi wanted quality, or nobody.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That they would not have to take a 75% wage cut, because you're calculating that based on dodgy figures ((10-40)/40 = -75%). 

The reality is that based on what should be our obvious goal, immediate and automatic promotion, we will not be keeping a wage bill in line with that 'average'.

They were some averages in a daily mail article, not meant to be conclusive, but we've had a red cross daubed on our front door for some time, we reek of relegation and I can't understand why any player looking for a move mid season would think we were a good bet to stay up, let alone be thinking what our plans were going to be the season after.

17 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I'll sign today to play up front or in goal for £1k a week. No fee.

I'm 6ft 6 and I can run. I can't promise I'll score or save anything, but I can give you a display of passion.. And humour..

The club appears to prefer tall strikers who can't run.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yet you really believe that every single decent player on the planet would refuse to come here ?

Agree 100%. This is management failure pure and simple. They knew from the outset we would have problems attracting players (big surprise).  Their job is to overcome that - that is what they get paid for.  Should have focused on our priority position (e.g. a forward),  upped the ante and used clever incentives, broadened the net (plenty of forwards that are better than what we have) and put back up plans in place  (e.g. not expect to get our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices).  The fact it is hard to attract players is no excuse for not bringing a forward in.  Just another pathetic performance from our higher management..   

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I can do a spot of plastering if required. Also have been known to be a bit handy with a paintbrush.

That signature of yours looks suspiciously like a football-related issue. No deal.

We only want you if you can count down to zero and you're handy with some scissors. Cut cut cut.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2016 at 22:46, GeordieVillan said:

I've been avoiding this thread all month as it just annoys me to see people get their hopes up and then be let down, especially when one of those people is me. And I am in the camp of people that still think we can stay up - so I'm not a pessimist.

However, I have to say that I am staggered that we still havn't bought a striker in this window. Our board and owner should have a duty of care to the club and its supporters - and that being the case, I don't believe they have fulfilled that duty on this specific point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should be going out and spending £20m on a striker, for well documented reasons - its not that simple. However, I find it impossible to accept that given its obvious that our manager is not particularly trusting of Kozak, Gestede or Gabby - that we have not even got £5m to spend on a striker from a lower league that might be a bit of a punt, and if it didn't work out then they might still do a job in the championship. Or £5m we can spend on a short term loan to bring someone in that has something to prove and might just keep us in the league, without that player necessarily being committed to staying with us next season regardless of what league we are in.

Of all the arguable mistakes that have been made during Randy's period of ownership (boardroom, managerial, public relations, transfer dealings etc.), I would say that if we do not sign a striker before the window closes, it would be the biggest mistake and error of judgement beyond doubt, and would be a damning indictment on how the club is currently being run.

One week later...still no striker....unbelievable really. Not even a "punt".

How incredibly disheartening for the fans, the manager and also the players. The manager has been banging on about how much he wants a striker all month and nothing has been delivered. 

There's no point in throwing individual names out there (Bamford, Rhodes etc.) as we don't know who Remi would have wanted. However, we havn't signed anyone at all - can't believe it.

We are bottom of the league and struggling to catch up, and all the teams above us have strengthened. We are not helping ourselves at all.

We could actually be only 4 points from safety if results go our way by Saturday. The none signing of a striker could be one of those "what if" moments for our club if we are left languishing in the Championship for many years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

One week later...still no striker....unbelievable really. Not even a "punt".

How incredibly disheartening for the fans, the manager and also the players. The manager has been banging on about how much he wants a striker all month and nothing has been delivered. 

There's no point in throwing individual names out there (Bamford, Rhodes etc.) as we don't know who Remi would have wanted. However, we havn't signed anyone at all - can't believe it.

We are bottom of the league and struggling to catch up, and all the teams above us have strengthened. We are not helping ourselves at all.

We could actually be only 4 points from safety if results go our way by Saturday. The none signing of a striker could be one of those "what if" moments for our club if we are left languishing in the Championship for many years.

We should have signed a striker on Jan 1

We're on hold until the summer now.

It will be one of the biggest summer's in Villa's history. If we don't back Garde then it's game over

• Like 2