Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Is Kalinic likely to go straight in to replace Guzan/Bunn? Would imagine so at that fee.

I imagine he'll keep with Bunn whilst he's playing well. No need to remove him, let the new guy settle in a bit at least - we've seen how important that can be. Plus that would give a good message to the rest of the squad I would think.

53 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

This started with you claiming that Leicester have adopted the Villa model from 1981 and me asking you in what way they have done this. The model that you talk about seems to be - "we used to have a scouting network, like Leicester do and once we get the players in we used to have a coach who coached them, like Leicester" thats not a model!! Thats what has been happening a football clubs around the world for ever.

That has not been happening around the world for ever.

but it has happened when talented managers and coaches and staff are involved.

You seem to think that I need to come up with some academic formula to form a model that creates guaranteed success...its pie in the sky.

Its many of the old fashioned values that you seem to be at odds with that brings home bacon.

you also seem baulk at simplicity,  its the simple things that allude us.

Football is a simple game, its not rocket science, but sometimes the simplicity is missed in all the confusion.

We just need scouts who can bring in talent at reasonable cost..

49 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Completely different players, Veretout is a better comparison and I prefer his upside.

Would I take Shelvey over Westwood or Gil, absolutely. He's a good player. But there's just no way he'd come here.

Do I think if we were in Newcastle's position, with a new manager on board, that we would spend £12m on a player. Absolutely, yes. I know that's an unpopular opinion. We have issues though, in that we are hovering over the trapdoor. Players don't want to come, rightly so, and we shouldn't be spending that kind of money given the strong likelyhood we will go down.

I'm annoyed we don't have a couple of decent loan signings sorted already though, a short term deal can't be THAT hard to sell. If it is, they're doing it wrong IMO.

Oh I wasn't trying to really compare them in style, I just chose Gueye because of his price tag being higher than Veretout (IIRC?)

I also wasn't trying to say we should have signed Shelvey. I was just making the observation that 12m isn't that much money. It was more a comment on value than suitability at our club because somebody said 12m was way too much for him

• Like 1

We desperately need a new keeper.

Bunn's positioning for the first goal was terrible, could have been sent off and was slow off his line a couple of times in general. 
Guzan, who I've defended a lot in the past, has also been very poor this season.

Hope this fella is decent.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What could he have been sent off for?

taking out Vardy at 0-0 but we had defenders back on time, though I still blame Bacuna for his pathetic attempt at letting the ball through

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/19/genoa-president-claims-aston-villa-have-changed-their-mind-about/?

Genoa president Enrico Preziosi claims Aston Villa have changed their mind about Libor Kozak.

Genoa president Enrico Preziosi has told Gianluca Di Marzio that he had struck an agreement to sign Libor Kozak last month - but now claims Aston Villa have changed their mind about the deal.

Kozak, 26, made his name in Serie A with Lazio, scoring 22 goals in 80 games having arrived from Opava in 2008, when he was just 19.

Lazio chose to sell the giant Czech Republic international in the summer of 2013, allowing him to join Premier League side Aston Villa on a four-year deal - but his time in England hasn't been much of a success so far.

Kozak has suffered injury after injury at Villa Park, giving him a record of just four goals in 19 appearances for Villa, with many expecting a departure during this month's transfer window.

However, the 6ft 3in target man has recently been recalled to the Villa side by manager Remi Garde, starting both of their last two matches; where Villa have picked up four points.

It now seems that Kozak is staying at Villa Park, and that idea has been backed up by Genoa president Enrico Preziosi, who spoke to Gianluca Di Marzio today.

Preziosi claims that he had agreed a deal to sign Kozak in December, but has since been told by the player's agent that Aston Villa have now changed their mind, and want to keep Kozak rather than let him head back to Italy.

"We had reached an agreement in Decmber, but unfortunately I heard from the agent of Kozak that Aston Villa has changed their mind and do not sell him," said Preziosi.

Are Villa making the right decision with Kozak?

1 hour ago, TRO said:

what do you want me to say, give you a manuscript of the "secrets of how to create a successful football team.....as if no one has ever thought of it.

The same principles of that are what was used a hundred years ago.

The simple things you mention in frustration I.e Shaun Teale, Pong Waring, shall I say Gerry Hitchens to join in.

They are just examples of how we have bought prudently

you say the things I mention are obvious, .......but we can't do it no matter how obvious you maintain it is........your pursuit of the modern argument of investment, insinuating we don't spend enough, is equally as obvious, but not so easy to achieve either.

Ps if you think I am not answering your points to your liking bullet point them, to make it more clear.

You said many people were claiiming Leicester had copied and applied Villa's successful model from 1981 and that we should have done the same. When I asked you what model you were referring to you said "recruiting the right players and coaching" - this isn't a model, it's what every succesful team ever has done

It's like saying "putting the ball in the net"  (traditionally you would reply to this by saying "you laugh at putting the ball in the net but it's not as easy as it looks" or similar

Also again I didnt say or insinuate that we didnt spend enough

2 hours ago, TRO said:

That has not been happening around the world for ever.

but it has happened when talented managers and coaches and staff are involved.

You seem to think that I need to come up with some academic formula to form a model that creates guaranteed success...its pie in the sky.

Its many of the old fashioned values that you seem to be at odds with that brings home bacon.

you also seem baulk at simplicity,  its the simple things that allude us.

Football is a simple game, its not rocket science, but sometimes the simplicity is missed in all the confusion.

We just need scouts who can bring in talent at reasonable cost..

It's very difficult to argue with someone who changes tack after every single response

You mentioned the need for a model, not me  you said Leicester were employing Villa successful 1981 model and I asked you what that model was - you said "recruiting good players and coaching them well" and I responded that that is hardly a model - its what every team up and down the country is trying to do

I said that football has moved on tremendously in the last 35 years which patently it has - this does not make me opposed to "old fashioned values" or "baulking at simplicity"

Finishing with a truism like "we just need scouts to bring in talent at reasonable cost" - of course we do. Every team does!!

So Norwich, Newcastle and Bournemouth have spent almost 20 million each and we have done sod all. I'm getting angry now......I'm not usually one of these spend loads of cash in the transfer window types but the lack of urgency has really pissed me off. Randy Learner, you are a massive word removed !!  

• Like 1

When £8m of that £20m is Naismith and Grabban...

We know all about spending money on shite, the amount they spend is irrelevant

It's also not Lerner it's fox or hollis or whoever it is we blame now

And it's impossible to tell how many people have turned us down, we know debuchy is at the moment, so that's a keeper and a RB, would be surprised if we haven't made enquiries for several strikers, convincing them to join is something different though, still hoping that we've got 2/3 on the hook waiting for other offers and when they don't come they'll join us, that's about as good as we'll get

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

You said many people were claiiming Leicester had copied and applied Villa's 

People who live in glass houses should learn not to throw stones.....me the strawman that's rich.

i said in "some circles "it has been mentioned.......not "many people were claiming " the implication is different.

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

It's very difficult to argue with someone who changes tack after every single response

You mentioned the need for a model, not me  you said Leicester were employing Villa successful 1981 model and I asked you what that model was - you said "recruiting good players and coaching them well" and I responded that that is hardly a model - its what every team up and down the country is trying to do

I said that football has moved on tremendously in the last 35 years which patently it has - this does not make me opposed to "old fashioned values" or "baulking at simplicity"

Finishing with a truism like "we just need scouts to bring in talent at reasonable cost" - of course we do. Every team does!!

you simply make statements that are not true.

Man city/Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal do not employ the model Villa in 81 and modern day Leicester do.....so you are now dealing in

semantics.....so it's not a model it's a way of doing things .....are you now happier.

Football has moved on in 35 years, but your implications was that old values are not worth considering.....you didn't say that but that's what was implied.

you poke fun at simplicity and under duress you agree.....yet you failed to endorse it.....all this simple stuff, we are not doing, you say everyone else is doing it you are right...thats why we are where we area for they are where they are.

........is there some kind of deep thinking intellectual strategy that you are waiting for?

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Man city/Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal do not employ the model Villa in 81 and modern day Leicester do.....so you are now dealing in

semantics.....so it's not a model it's a way of doing things .....are you now happier.

Football has moved on in 35 years, but your implications was that old values are not worth considering.....you didn't say that but that's what was implied.

you poke fun at simplicity and under duress you agree.....yet you failed to endorse it.....all this simple stuff, we are not doing, you say everyone else is doing it you are right...thats why we are where we area for they are where they are.

........is there some kind of deep thinking intellectual strategy that you are waiting for?

I'd take them diver's boots' off , you going far too deep .

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

- So Man United are not trying to "recruit good players and coach them well?" That's what you described as "Villa 1981 blueprint". Please tell me what Man united are trying to do. They might be doing it at a different level than us but they are still trying to recruit good players and still trying to coach them well. Surely that is the aim of every football team? Some (like us) might not be very good at it but thats the aim for all

- Football has moved on dramatically in the last 35 years.  Some things of course still apply, commitment, hard work, enthusiasm but in areas like fitness, tactics, player recruitment, youth development etc there is a world of difference.  I don't understand how you could dispute this

- If you implied from my comment that "football has changed" that I do not value old fashioned values then you implied wrongly.  Passion, attitude, hard work, application of course apply as much today as at anytime. I've never said different

- Please point out where I "poke fun at simplicity"?

- Of course we want players with a good first touch. Of course we would like to uncover great players for peanuts, of course we would like to develop world class youngsters from our academy. We are not doing any of that, we are a million miles from doing any of that.  A model would be a roadmap to tell the steps to take to put that right - when you mentioned the model from 1981 I asked you what you meant - I was obviously disappointed with the truism you trotted out "recruit good players and coach them well". It's a lovely aspiration but tells you nothing about how you achieve that