Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

- So Man United are not trying to "recruit good players and coach them well?" That's what you described as "Villa 1981 blueprint". Please tell me what Man united are trying to do. They might be doing it at a different level than us but they are still trying to recruit good players and still trying to coach them well. Surely that is the aim of every football team? Some (like us) might not be very good at it but thats the aim for all

- Football has moved on dramatically in the last 35 years.  Some things of course still apply, commitment, hard work, enthusiasm but in areas like fitness, tactics, player recruitment, youth development etc there is a world of difference.  I don't understand how you could dispute this

- If you implied from my comment that "football has changed" that I do not value old fashioned values then you implied wrongly.  Passion, attitude, hard work, application of course apply as much today as at anytime. I've never said different

- Please point out where I "poke fun at simplicity"?

- Of course we want players with a good first touch. Of course we would like to uncover great players for peanuts, of course we would like to develop world class youngsters from our academy. We are not doing any of that, we are a million miles from doing any of that.  A model would be a roadmap to tell the steps to take to put that right - when you mentioned the model from 1981 I asked you what you meant - I was obviously disappointed with the truism you trotted out "recruit good players and coach them well". It's a lovely aspiration but tells you nothing about how you achieve that

Would you mind if I gracefully withdraw.....We might be in danger of boring the forum and I'm missing Silent Witness.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If we can get rid of 5 or 6 of tonights first eleven this window will have been very successful.

I generally scoff at these sort of 'sack em all' posts. But I sat there tonight watching another gutless display, and i did actually think that I wouldn't to to upset to any of them go. This squad needs ripping to streads. 

Jermaine Jenas figures Adebayor will be a great signing for someone because he likes to go to the gym.   But if the manager doesn't let him go to the gym he will be a terrible signing.   Is there a good gym at Bodymoor Heath?   Does Remi like watching buff men work out?   Could Ade be the man to lift Villa out of the cellar?

Linky

Jermaine Jenas Exclusive: Adebayor could be one of the signings of the season

Yahoo UK's global football ambassador Jermaine Jenas says former teammate Emmanuel Adebayor could be one of the signings of the season - if he gets the right manager

Emmanuel Adebayor is being linked with several Premier League clubs this month, having been a free agent since his release by Tottenham in the summer. Although we barely played together at Spurs, mainly because I was injured, myself and Ade spent a season or so in the same squad at White Hart Lane so I got to him know him pretty well. The first thing I remember is being almost shocked by his work ethic - and not in the way some people might expect.

I was recovering from a ruptured Achilles at the time. Most mornings I'd walk into the gym at about 9am and Ade would already be in there, going at it hard. He loved to spend time doing the power work that made him such a beast up front when he was on top of his game. And during that period, he was. The goals were flowing, the team was playing well and you wouldn't see a more happy, smiley player in your life. He'd turn up every day grinning from ear to ear, he'd have a laugh with the lads and he was a good trainer.

That might like a surprising description to people now, because Adebayor's reputation has taken something of a battering in the years since - on and off the pitch. There's no denying he has his own particular issues, but there are two sides to every story. And in Adebayor's case, I feel the way his managers have handled him has always been a huge factor.

During that time at Spurs, Harry Redknapp knew how to deal with Ade and the team reaped the benefits. But things changed when Andre Villas Boas came in. The club had built a state-of-the-art new training facility and AVB's attitude was that we should be using it. That meant his fitness team didn't want anyone in the gym - ever. It seemed a weird rule, but it was particularly unpalatable to Ade because he loved his gym work and AVB was essentially taking that away from him.

It may seem like a relatively small thing, but for Adebayor these are the kinds of things that can completely change his outlook - and therefore his prospects - at a club. While some players would just do as their manager said, with Ade you could tell he was extremely annoyed about it. And that's when we started to see the other side of Ade.

Personally, I had sympathy for him because every player knows how to get the best from themselves. Sometimes he would go against AVB's instructions and just go to the gym regardless, but that's when their relationship started to slide downhill more rapidly. The moment Adebayor is not playing, he has an issue with the person responsible. It's an ego thing. That then puts pressure on a manager to show his authority. And once Adebayor falls out with the manager, it's game over. There is no reconciling that situation.

Despite this, Ade never caused problems in the changing room. He's not that type of person. But he would be very honest with the manager and the club if he wasn't happy, and that would start to show in his performances. At Tottenham he ended up being injured a lot of the time. Maybe it was legitimate, or maybe he was just downing tools. Either way, he's not a player who sees himself as someone who comes off the bench. He demands to be the top striker. You come across a lot of complex characters in the changing room with different requirements. Ade is the kind of player who needs his ego to be fed, and any manager who has done that has been rewarded with top performances.

That's why, if I were a Premier League manager in need of goals this month, I would break the bank to get Adebayor for the next six months. And there are a lot of clubs that fall into that category: Crystal Palace, Man Utd, Norwich, Newcastle. These kinds of clubs could do a lot worse than signing Adebayor on a short-term deal. And for those near the bottom, he will almost guarantee you safety.

There were reports in the summer that Aston Villa wanted Ade to take a pay cut to play for them, or that Spurs wanted him to write off some of the money on his contract. We don't know the full details, but you can't ever really expect a player to accept less money when they're entitled to more. Whatever your job is, you know your self-worth. And if you look at the situation Villa are in now, they would probably have been better off paying Adebayor whatever he wanted. However much it was, it will be chicken feed compared to the cost of relegation. Refusing to take a pay cut doesn't mean you don't love the game. Ade knows, when he's on his game, that he's one of the best strikers around and he feel he should be paid accordingly.

Admittedly, Adebayor might want longer than a six-month contract, but those are the kind of deals that seem to get the best out of him. That and having a manager that understand him. When Tim Sherwood replaced AVB at Spurs he told Ade he was his number one striker and got him back playing well again. You almost just have to let Ade do what's best for him, and it takes a certain type of manager to do that.

Mauricio Pochettino couldn't get Ade firing but I think by the end of his time at Tottenham, his confidence had taken a lot of knocks. His effort was there, but once the crowd started to turn on him, and with all the financial stories about him, it became more difficult. That's aside from other issues he had with his family. It was a tough time in his life - not just his career - and it all added up to poor performances.

I can't completely defend Ade because you can't ignore that he has had problems wherever he has played, but I can only judge people as I see them. And while we were at Spurs, Ade was always a top guy.

I think being away from the glare of the Premier League for the last six months will have reinvigorated him. Maybe it's even given him some space to reflect on the mistakes he's made, although we don't know what his exact mindset is. That's why it would be a gamble for a side to take him for longer than six months - but on a short-term deal, it's a no-brainer.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Debuchy, Remy and a giant keeper would be fantastic for his first window in this position. 

100% agree. Also another energetic midfielder wouldnt go astray... or are we being greedy. 

If we get Debuchy I think Bacuna can be that energetic midfielder that we're needing. If not I agree that's a position that needs strengthening second only to a striker who can play off Libor Kozak and score some goals. I wanted to see Jerell Sellars given an opportunity as he looks like the exact kind of player we need but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

• Like 1

Definitely need a striker that will allow us to push further up the pitch. Actually pretty excited that we are looking at a new GK as Guzan is so far away from his best it's unbelievable.

Debuchy, Kalinic and a striker would be really good for this window and wouldn't cripple us financially when the inevitable relegation happens at the end of the season. Then we just need the manager to eek out the best from the likes of Traore who has not lived up to my expectations so far this season due to a combination of injuries and getting used to the PL.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Jermaine Jenas Exclusive:

"I was always injured".

Always makes me laugh when I see him on MOTD talking about playing with Villa players when he was here. Does three games count?

• Like 3

I doubt Crespo leaving would've had any effect on Debuchy coming seeing as the amount of minutes he's played!! I hope we sign Debuchy but play Richards there till we do. That'll free Bacuna to play right side move Veretout left and drop Westwood. Last night showed Gestede isn't mobile enough for us so we desperately need a striker with a high work rate. I'd try for Shane Long on loan aswell as the foreign options knocking about. Add that to Kalinic and it'd be a decent window.