Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

MA wasn't a regular here and from memory very few of us were sorry to see him leave, had we have offered him £45k a week people would have accused the club of not learning lessons. 

The fact he has improved significantly at the same time as our decline is irrelevant, I think it was the correct decision at the time to not match Leicester's offer.

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

MA wasn't a regular here and from memory very few of us were sorry to see him leave, had we have offered him £45k a week people would have accused the club of not learning lessons. 

The fact he has improved significantly at the same time as our decline is irrelevant, I think it was the correct decision at the time to not match Leicester's offer.

Albrighton wasn't very good for us, and he wasn't very good for Leicester on Saturday either. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Drinkwater is actually a very good player and an underrated part of their success, he'd walk right into our team.

Not doubting he is a good player, but what sticks iny mind from last season was from the BBC match day live text thing they have on a Saturday.

'Leicester substitute 7mins

Drinkwater on for Cambiasso''

I think I posted in the weekend football thread on here that it just looked wrong :) 

NT. The time of the substitution is made up, can't remember that bit ;)

Edited by av1

19 minutes ago, lmarsha_926 said:

People saying we should buy a proven striker at Championshop level we have one in Gestede, what we need to do is looking at improving the service we give our strikers no matter which division we are in 

I agree that we need to improve the service to our srrikers, but on Gastede. 

The season with Blackburn was the stand out in what has been a very poor career. I think he had scored something like18 goals in ten years prior to that. Now that certainly doesn't mean that he can't do it again, but I wouldn't look at that one season in isolation as a gauge as to how he might perform next year. 

Also, Its been evident that the team are trying to play a bit more football since Remi arrived. There is, IMO, no way that he will adopt a style that suits Gastede, and nor should he IMO. 

He may be kept on board as a Plan B, but I'd be staggered if Gastede starts any games for us after Remi has had a couple of windows. 

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Can't stand Leicester and hope they implode.  Leicester have been very lucky. They are bottom 3 for possession, passes, pass completion and a whole lot more.  Marez and Vardy are good players, but the rest are bang-average but playing with a bit of confidence. As they regress to the mean, they'll finish about 7th and will be bottom half next time

Schmichael is very average. Albrighton is average and has not been "Awesome"

We didn't let "Albrighton go on a free". He turned down contract offers and went for £45k a week to Leicester - twice what we offered. If we'd have paid Albrighton that we would have had trouble throughout the squad

This seasons Southampton

I remember reports we didn't even offer Albrighton a contract and just let him walk away for nothing. I bet he's worth a few quid now. 

Brilliant from Lerner's Villa. 

Leicester have done fantastic-Only a fool would say otherwise. They are however punching way above their weight, do not have strength in depth and will not finish in the top 4.

I thought that on Saturday, their players looked confident, composed and organised (as you'd expect from the top of the table team). 3 things that have been sadly lacking from our players. There is an over reliance on hitting Vardy to run diagonally across back 4 lines. Since this outlet has dried up somewhat, Leicester have coughed and spluttered a little bit. A couple of bad results will see them come back down to earth with a bump and we will see a truer picture of where Leicester really are in the grand scheme of things. Their 2 main men will leave in the summer and they will not be replaced.

All that said, how I wish we were in their position, instead of preparing for life in the championship.

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Can't stand Leicester and hope they implode.  Leicester have been very lucky. They are bottom 3 for possession, passes, pass completion and a whole lot more.  Marez and Vardy are good players, but the rest are bang-average but playing with a bit of confidence. As they regress to the mean, they'll finish about 7th and will be bottom half next time

Schmichael is very average. Albrighton is average and has not been "Awesome"

We didn't let "Albrighton go on a free". He turned down contract offers and went for £45k a week to Leicester - twice what we offered. If we'd have paid Albrighton that we would have had trouble throughout the squad

This seasons Southampton

Maybe 'awesome' is a bit far, but he has 6 assists for the season, joint 8th-highest in the league, and his whoscored rating is 56th in the league, between Mane and Bellerin. He's had a very good season indeed. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

13 days left to go before this nonsense ends

Gotta admit it's been a crazy ride though.

The highs, the lows, the anticipation, the joy...

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

or likely to

Still think we might get a deadline day loan signing of Debuchy, as long as no other options is available to him. 

Other than that I still maintain this window is more about who we can get rid of