Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

22 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

I thought the 1st goal was awful.  Lescott doesn't have Long marked at any point in that move, even allows him just to drift off his shoulder and doesn't even bother jumping to compete.  thank god our current defense/team isn't like that anymore.

But he put his arm up to claim offside. Must take a lot of effort to do that

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

The Lescott, Richards partnership is my CB pairing for my worst Villa XI.  The goals we conceded in the Villa 2-4 Southampton game in 2016 are some of the most we don't give a **** goals we have ever let in.  The second goal in particular still winds me up to this day.  The Leandro Bacuna back pass from 25 yards inside the Southampton half into the space behind our defence (i think this is the worst pass I have ever seen a Villa player hit).  Lescott thoroughly outpaced as he tries to keep up with Shane Long (although tbf Lescott is probably the least to blame as at least he turned and ran back).  The worst offender was Richards as he stands and watches at the half way line.  He has a 20 yard head start on the eventual goalscorer (Tadic).  Well I assume it is a 20 yard head start, it is hard to judge as Tadic isn't even in the shot when the ball is played.  Guzan actually makes the save, gives the defence a chance, but Richards having decided not to bother to help out turned up too late to stop Long from squaring the ball to Tadic for an open goal.  Absolute joke of a defence that was.  It's worth looking up the video, because I'm not really doing justice as to just how bad a goal it was to let in.

Got a link to the vid? I'd like to remind myself how cack we were in those days.

24 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

I thought the 1st goal was awful.  Lescott doesn't have Long marked at any point in that move, even allows him just to drift off his shoulder and doesn't even bother jumping to compete.  thank god our current defense/team isn't like that anymore.

Out of interest, can anyone remember why there is so much paper/litter round the edge of the pitch?

There was a fan protest that day, the litter is all signs saying Proud History What Future?  It mostly got turned into paper aeroplanes and chucked about.  And yes the first goal was awful too. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

That second goal REALLY was that bad, oh my days.

Pause it at 27 seconds in. Richards inside our half on the left-hand side of the screen.  Tadic is the guy in the bottom right of the picture.  I just can't believe he got to the penalty area first.

saw the thread had been bumped. clicked on it and takes you to your first unread post, which was sept 15th 2015, after his debut. the next few pages made for grim reading...a common theme was that okore would be the answer to our prayers when he comes back from injury!

i remember those days like it was yesterday though. never known a chorus of boos ringing out when the home team is announced before or since. they were dark days.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

saw the thread had been bumped. clicked on it and takes you to your first unread post, which was sept 15th 2015, after his debut. the next few pages made for grim reading...a common theme was that okore would be the answer to our prayers when he comes back from injury!

i remember those days like it was yesterday though. never known a chorus of boos ringing out when the home team is announced before or since. they were dark days.

To be fair Okore did seem like a pretty promising prospect at the time, and then he got that massive knee injury and was never the same.

Whether that was BECAUSE of the injury, or he just wasn't actually that good, who knows

Thanks for sharing the link to that shit-show of a ‘defence’, I’d happily forgotten about that and now I’ve just got the image of Richards throwing his arms in the air after his slow jog back from the centre circle. It makes me just as angry now as it did then. Utter useless rocket polishers the lot of em’!

• Like 1

I've basically blanked that entire season from memory. I remember the opening day win at Bournemouth, a couple of frustrating draws and then that shameful collapse at Leicester and then it's basically just a blur of shit.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I've basically blanked that entire season from memory. I remember the opening day win at Bournemouth, a couple of frustrating draws and then that shameful collapse at Leicester and then it's basically just a blur of shit.

Think we lost 9 from 11 under Sherwood but at least 6 of them was by a goal. We battered Sunderland and couldn't beat them. 

I think Vlaar was probably the biggest loss in hindsight as while not concrete he was at least professional 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think we lost 9 from 11 under Sherwood but at least 6 of them was by a goal. We battered Sunderland and couldn't beat them. 

I think Vlaar was probably the biggest loss in hindsight as while not concrete he was at least professional 

Was a combination of losing Vlaar, the snake and Benteke I think. You can't lose players like that without quality replacements and expect to do anything but go down.

• Like 1

I recall the Southampton loss when the players were going off at halftime when we were all singing the worse song any supporter can sing about their own team...... "Your not fit to wear the shirt"......and it was well deserved....shocking game for a Villa fan to endure.

The paper aeroplanes was the most entertaining event of that day, especially  those that reached the pitch after being launched from the back of the Holte, bigger cheers than when "pointy" Westwood scored

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I miss that guy on here who thought Bacuna was absolutely brilliant.

I miss him too, he was hilarious.

He probably packed it in here when Bielsa went to Leeds instead of us.

My memory of the 2014/15 season the best defensive pairing we had was Clark and Okore. Vlaar always being injured, Senderos, I can’t remember what happened there.

Google search that pairing of Clark/Okore and the articles that come up are generally positive. In an understated way, of course. But my recollection is they formed an “ok” partnership. 

But then Lescott, Richards…

This was a real awful season, I had just started uni and used to come down to VP every other weekend to see dross served up. piss taking from peers, ultimately relegation and crashing out of the league with a wimper.....No way did I expect it to take 3 years for us to go back to the prem though, then to add insult to injury after the play off final disappointment was the very real prospect of the club being wound up thanks to an outright gambler as the owner of the club.

The only saving grace from that year was the fact that the stature and allure of Aston Villa meant that someone would always purchase us before the worst happened. A smaller club without the history and the scenic Aston Manor on the peripherary of the ground wouldnt have been bought by foreign owners imo.....we were lucky that they are long tern investors who know how to turn around an oil tanker

• Like 1

Â