Adama Traore

mwj

Well the buy back clause is with Barca, not the players contract. So I assume the buy back clause would be for the duration that he is a Villa player, but he could always refuse personal terms. The clause just means we have to accept the offer and he is allowed to talk to them.

A bit off-topic but I've wondered for a while with buy back clauses whether the player has any say. For instance, if Madrid were to use the buy back clause for Morata what happens if he doesn't want to leave Juve can he just refuse personal terms with Real? Not that I can really see Traore refusing Barca to stay with us if they came calling.

yes they can decline. otherwise barca will just offer him £1 a week and he will be forced to accept.

It's not really like a loan deal though is it? He could do well for us, but Barcelona may not fancy him. Doesn't stop Man City giving us £30m for him does it?

There's a good chance we would make money. Its unlikely he will become good enough to play for Barcelona, let's be honest.

I think the concern is that if his market value is over the buy-back clause, barca may take him back just to sell him straight on and pocket the difference.

Couldn't we insist the buy-back clause has a 'no sell on for a season' clause?!

Even if there was no buy back clause, and he's as good as people claim, do you really think we'd hold onto him anyway? All it would take is one of the mancs to come sniffing and that would be that.

Probably a good thing Barca have first option as at least we wouldnt have to put up with playing against him like we will with that plop Striker.

• Like 1

we sign him for roughly £10m, that means would be somewhere between £15m-£20m, so we'd still get a fair whack if they buy him back.

Again, his buyout clause is €6m.

Edited by villa89

If they activate the buy back clause would we receive a % from a sell on clause? I'd only take that if the payment was in full and not instalments - and all of this satisfied FFP regulations.

But what if they buy him back to sell him on - will he have represented more than 2 clubs in one season? Maybe they could loan him back to us? But then where would we stand with regards to Janujaz - could we still loan him too?

If we sign Traore does that mean we are no longer in for Dale Stephens? Will he ever escape from JulieB's basement, or is he down there tied to a pallett with Jermain Defoe?

So many questions, and its really 50/50/50 what will happen.

I hope that we will hear soon hear that a private plane has been spotted in BHX or overhear from two men in suits in Tesco that the deal has been completed and we can all rejoice.

Personally I don't give a dam a bout the details, just get the lad in!

4QmbIBq.gif

• Like 1

He hasn't even arrived yet and we are worried about the buy back.

VT classic. to be fair it started as a general discussion about buy back clauses a few pages back if I recall correctly. 

If Barca decide they want to buy him back it can only mean the lads done amazingly well for us. 

Not necessarily true.  It all depends on the buyback fee.  If the fee is something low like say £6m (as it is for Deulofeu at Everton) then all that needs to happen is that he become worth more than the £6m in the open market in order for it to financially benefit Barça to buy him back to flog him off at the higher price.

They may have to hang on to him for a couple of months afterwards in order to avoid falling foul of the "you can only represent 2 clubs in a calendar year" stuff.  But it is not true to say that them bringing him back means he has been i) amazing or ii) that they want him in their team.

But I've said all this yesterday so I'll leave it there.

TL;DR - Buyback options are a load of betty swollocks.

But Deulofeu went to Everton for about £3m, so the buy back clause is roughly double. If Barca do the same for this deal, and we sign him for roughly £10m, that means would be somewhere between £15m-£20m, so we'd still get a fair whack if they buy him back.

Yes it all depends on the fee.  If its double what we paid for him then fine, but if its the same then i wouldnt bother.

But if they activate the buy back clause, can we then insert a buy back clause to buy back Traore, after they've bought him back from us via the clause?

But in all seriousness, I don't see the buy back clause as an issue. It's them getting first dibs on him should he turn out to be world class, and if he does we've done well to buy him for the fees being bandied about.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point with the buyback clause.

He doesn't have to ever be anywhere near good enough to play for Barca, he just has to be good enough for a team to be willing to pay more than the buyback clause.

That way, say the buyback is £15mil and someone is willing to pay £18mil, they'd negotiate with Barca, he'd be bought back and Barca would claim the profits.

EDIT: BEEN SAID ALREADY, DIDNT READ EVERY COMMENT, MY BAD

Edited by skarroki

Not necessarily true.  It all depends on the buyback fee.  If the fee is something low like say £6m (as it is for Deulofeu at Everton) then all that needs to happen is that he become worth more than the £6m in the open market in order for it to financially benefit Barça to buy him back to flog him off at the higher price.

They may have to hang on to him for a couple of months afterwards in order to avoid falling foul of the "you can only represent 2 clubs in a calendar year" stuff.  But it is not true to say that them bringing him back means he has been i) amazing or ii) that they want him in their team.

But I've said all this yesterday so I'll leave it there.

TL;DR - Buyback options are a load of betty swollocks.

But Deulofeu went to Everton for about £3m, so the buy back clause is roughly double. If Barca do the same for this deal, and we sign him for roughly £10m, that means would be somewhere between £15m-£20m, so we'd still get a fair whack if they buy him back.

Which is exactly what I covered in my opening 2 sentences.

He doesn't have to ever be anywhere near good enough to play for Barca, he just has to be good enough for a team to be willing to pay more than the buyback clause.

That way, say the buyback is £15mil and someone is willing to pay £18mil, they'd negotiate with Barca, he'd be bought back and Barca would claim the profits.

In theory it would work like that but in reality it won't because you can't play for more than two teams in a season. I don't think any club would activate a buy-out clause for a player they didn't want themselves.

In theory it would work like that but in reality it won't because you can't play for more than two teams in a season. I don't think any club would activate a buy-out clause for a player they didn't want themselves.

You can be registered at 3 clubs but only play for 2. If he went back to Barca but never featured in any of their teams then that would work fine.

I also think every club would activate a buy-out clause if it meant they'd make a profit. They're all businesses and can't afford to ignore easy money

Â