Adama Traore

mwj

Just now, PompeyVillan said:

Are you surprised? He's the only player who looks exciting on the ball.

No, I'm not surprised. As I said, of course I understand that we're all desperate for any glimpse of positivity that can be found, any pearls in the manure. But being 'exciting on the ball' isn't enough for football at this level. Ben Arfa was 'exciting on the ball'. 

I'm a fan but I don't think his cameo was as good as other occasions today, he still got some decent crosses in which created corners.

The thing I don't understand though is he gets us up the pitch quicker with his pace and takes a few opposition players out once he's on the ball so even if he dosen't track back that can still benefit the team if it's set up correctly.

• Like 1

When he came on everyone's game plan was to give him the ball... First time all season we've had a game plan. Think a fully fit traore will destroy teams in the championship. 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vandaq said:

Could be a gem to have next season if he isn't injured as much. Don't see who would be willing to pay the price we need either. Unless he instigates it..

Talk about Barca buying him back

23 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Talk about Barca buying him back

HanoiVillan should buy his registration, lock him in a dark room and endlessly play videos showing if he works hard and tracks back how one day he can be as good as Kieron Richardson and Scott Sinclair. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, I'm not surprised. As I said, of course I understand that we're all desperate for any glimpse of positivity that can be found, any pearls in the manure. But being 'exciting on the ball' isn't enough for football at this level. Ben Arfa was 'exciting on the ball'. 

Ben Arfa's back in the France squad mate. ;)

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

HanoiVillan should buy his registration, lock him in a dark room and endlessly play videos showing if he works hard and tracks back how one day he can be as good as Kieron Richardson and Scott Sinclair. 

?

Hatem Ben Arfa has been possibly the best player (outside PSG) in France this season playing for Nice.

He's currently being linked with moves to Milan, Liverpool, Dortmund and PSG...

For him it was all about getting his head right.

Desperately hope we can hold on to Adama, doubt we will.

I have sympathy for Black being thrown into a job and being way out of his depth, but if he doesn't start Adama for the rest of the season I will resent him for it.

He won't become the next Messi, or even the next Jesus Navas, but  I think we'll be kicking ourselves in a few years if we let him go

Edited by sne

I still haven't seen enough of Adama to convince me he'll be a great player - he has great pace for sure but so far I think he's a poor mans Aaron Lennon. Head down, run fast, get into trouble and spoon a hopeful ball in.

To be fair, he hasn't been fit for the most of the season with a series of niggly injuries (which doesn't bode well in my opinion)

I'd love him to become a great player for us but feel he's a little overhyped on here (just as certain players are overly slated!)

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

I still haven't seen enough of Adama to convince me he'll be a great player - he has great pace for sure but so far I think he's a poor mans Aaron Lennon. Head done, run fast, get into trouble and spoon a hopeful ball in.

To be fair, he hasn't been fit for the most of the season with a series of niggly injuries (which doesn't bode well in my opinion)

I'd love him to become a great player for us but feel he's a little overhyped on here (just as certain players are overly slated!)

This is where I am.

I saw a slight improvement to his game yesterday, in that he did track back and appeared to show a bit of desire to get stuck in when he first came on. It was almost like he was thriving on the atmosphere, the disgruntled boos and the calls for him to play.

But still, I saw pace, power, step overs, but then ultimately a few take-ons that either lead just to corners or crosses that went nowhere. Still better than our other options, but I'm not seeing this 'get us promoted single handedly' player, yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I still haven't seen enough of Adama to convince me he'll be a great player - he has great pace for sure but so far I think he's a poor mans Aaron Lennon. Head done, run fast, get into trouble and spoon a hopeful ball in.

I don't think anyone is saying he is a world beater. But even running fast and hitting a hopeful cross in is more attacking threat than we have from anyone else. When he came on yesterday, the whole team were looking for him and Bournemouth had two men on him at all times (let's not forget the fullback had been beaten by Sinclair a few times), that will free up space around the pitch for other players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't think anyone is saying he is a world beater. But even running fast and hitting a hopeful cross in is more attacking threat than we have from anyone else. When he came on yesterday, the whole team were looking for him and Bournemouth had two men on him at all times (let's not forget the fullback had been beaten by Sinclair a few times), that will free up space around the pitch for other players.

I agree, he changed the team yesterday and in general quite positive in his play. 

You're right that Sinclair also had the beating of their left back - why we didn't expose it more often, I don't know.....

There's no real excuse for this lad not playing and even starting when fit. Garde's ultra conservationism had this lad out of the team (when fit) despite being the only one capable of genuinely hurting the opposition with his pace, skill and ability to get the ball into the box. The excuses at the time were always ridiculous, that he couldn't defend, when clearly his qualities going forward would more than offset that. It's a shame we haven't been able to see more of Traore in a Villa shirt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I still haven't seen enough of Adama to convince me he'll be a great player - he has great pace for sure but so far I think he's a poor mans Aaron Lennon. Head down, run fast, get into trouble and spoon a hopeful ball in.

Aaron Lennon isn't doing too badly these days though.

Â