Adama Traore

mwj

The biggest issue is not whether he played earlier on or not, it's why we signed a player for so much that wasn't ready, and will then have to give away for cheap if we're relegated. None of the situation makes any business sense.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The biggest issue is not whether he played earlier on or not, it's why we signed a player for so much that wasn't ready, and will then have to give away for cheap if we're relegated. None of the situation makes any business sense.

Yes, this. 

He was a disastrous signing, not because he's a bad player (he's raw but talented), but because he cost way too much money for a guy who surely can't ever have been assumed to play a major part this season. If anybody did think he would play a major part, then that is a huge scouting fail. If they didn't, then it was a huge recruitment fail. Just imagine if we'd spent his transfer fee, wages and signing on fee on a striker who had even 75% of Benteke's ability. 

• Like 2

I don't think he would have made the difference to save us but I still don't get the concerns. We were desperate to win games and needed to score goals. That should have been our concern, not if our attacking winger will make us solid at the back. 

So if he wasn't 'the' solution, like all of our players, he was simply 'a' possible solution.

Some people called for Grealish when he didn't play for a while. He came back in and was crap.

Lots of people called for Gil when he didn't play for a while. He came back in and had the odd decent game, but not much else.

If we didn't play Ayew, people would call for him to play.

Adama hasn't played as much as he could have, and that's the main thing that people will remember about him when he's gone. But that doesn't take into account that every player has strengths and weaknesses, and whilst we actually had a chance to survive, Garde obviously thought that Adama was best used as a 'last 10-15 minutes' option, due to his 'weaknesses'.

It sounds crazy now, because we're going down. But that's hindsight.

For some people, I guess it's easier to ask 'WHY DIDN'T WE THROW THE KITCHEN SINK AT IT?!', without actually taking a moment to cast their minds back and consider all of the circumstances around why he wasn't playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

To me, it is not about his defensive capabilities, which are virtually non-existent, it is that he has no real end product. He just does not have a football brain to go with his pace and trickery. He has been in the junior ranks of one of the best teams in the world, but appears not to have learned how to make best use of his talent.

That's not really true though is it. He had an assist for the own goal against Palace and then assisted Gil's goal against Sunderland. That's two assists in a handful of league appearances so really not that bad. He also scored in the cup did he not?

According to soccerbase he has made 9 league appearances and 1 cup appearance so two assists and a goal in 10 appearances for a young, very 'raw' talent is not bad going by the standards of most in his position. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

So if he wasn't 'the' solution, like all of our players, he was simply 'a' possible solution.

Some people called for Grealish when he didn't play for a while. He came back in and was crap.

Lots of people called for Gil when he didn't play for a while. He came back in and had the odd decent game, but not much else.

If we didn't play Ayew, people would call for him to play.

Adama hasn't played as much as he could have, and that's the main thing that people will remember about him when he's gone. But that doesn't take into account that every player has strengths and weaknesses, and whilst we actually had a chance to survive, Garde obviously thought that Adama was best used as a 'last 10-15 minutes' option, due to his 'weaknesses'.

It sounds crazy now, because we're going down. But that's hindsight.

For some people, I guess it's easier to ask 'WHY DIDN'T WE THROW THE KITCHEN SINK AT IT?!', without actually taking a moment to cast their minds back and consider all of the circumstances around why he wasn't playing.

We were bottom of the league. We did have to throw the kitchen sink at it if we were going to survive. The odd draw here and there was going to do nothing. Everyone knew the circumstances and we all know our players are poor, but Garde has been very negative in many matches since arriving here. Using Adama more would have been a positive move, it may not have always worked but it should have been tried more. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

In his very limited time I think he's shown more than most of our players. His first game he caused the problems that led to an equaliser. He was brilliant in the cup game after. He created the only goal against Sunderland and in most other appearances does what he's meant to do, which is beat the fullback and get a cross in. 

He's miles away from the finished product but I'd have him in there over all attacking players bar Ayew.

I would also add that none of our players have any end product-That's why goals are at a premium.

Yes, this. 

He was a disastrous signing, not because he's a bad player (he's raw but talented), but because he cost way too much money for a guy who surely can't ever have been assumed to play a major part this season. If anybody did think he would play a major part, then that is a huge scouting fail. If they didn't, then it was a huge recruitment fail. Just imagine if we'd spent his transfer fee, wages and signing on fee on a striker who had even 75% of Benteke's ability. 

Like Austin.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â