Adama Traore

mwj

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Three of the four "managers" we've had this season aren't actually football managers. He was injured for most of Garde's reign? 

Eric Black, for example, continues to pick Joleon Lescott as captain. Neither does he seem to want to start Grealish. It's all a bit mad and I'm not sure that's a poor reflection on Adama. 

I wasn't attempting to claim Adama was poor. I don't think he's poor by a long shot.

But if he's as good as some people seem to think he is, surely someone would have given him a league start this season?

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wasn't attempting to claim Adama was poor. I don't think he's poor by a long shot.

But if he's as good as some people seem to think he is, surely someone would have given him a league start this season?

I was countering that by saying that aside from Garde, who had his own issues, they all seem about as sane as a bag of cocks. Surely it's indisputable that he should get a start over Scott Sinclair or Kieran Richardson? Why they haven't started him is, in my opinion, down to their lack of ability. Whether it be fear or just a healthy dose of stupidity. 

We trust that anyone managing a top level football team is doing so through merit, when in a lot of cases they just kind of stumbled or blagged their way into the job, that is certainly my thinking for 3 of our 4 managers this season so it's not surprising they have made some extremely poor decisions.

The lengthy injury lay off won't have helped either, it felt like 3 months all told? I got the impression also that he fell out with Sherwood too? So there is potentially 5 months of his season gone. 

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think anyone's said it's guaranteed he'd have been amazing this season. But I think it's ridiculous he's not been given more of a chance, especially when you see the players around him. 

I think he'd have played more under sherwood if he wasn't injured. While injured in some games under Garde he was also available available for some must win games and was not picked. 

The team Black just picked was a disgrace. I put little credit in his team selection. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Lack of managerial ability or not, I'd question why a player who was so good would spend the whole season without a start.

Maybe it's a money thing.

It's definitely worth a question, and an attempted answer!

Maybe it is. Would need to be a really weird clause though, it preventing him from starting a single game? Considering surely we planned to start him at some point! He was our big summer signing. 

That said - because Tom Fox. 

Er..what? 

You're afraid of doing worst? I'd rather take the chance to do better than worry about how it could be worse than bottom of the league and one of the worst teams in league history.

How has our worrying about being worse helped us out? Call me crazy, but maybe bring positive could have created positive results. 

No, you're right, let's get excited about Sinclair tracking back. It's been key to our success this year. 

Hindsight is great isn't it Jonah?

How dare these managers pick Sinclair, a player with Premier League experience, who was one of our better players towards the end of last season and scored 5 goals in two games earlier this season.

I'm sure in October/ November the coaching staff didn't think 'that's it, we're down already, let's throw caution to the wind' did they?

Looking back now, we can all say that different players should have played, but for a large chunk of the season, it has never been a clear-cut majority decision that the wrong players are playing. Generally, the feeling is that our whole squad just isn't good enough. Adama included.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Hindsight is great isn't it Jonah?

How dare these managers pick Sinclair, a player with Premier League experience, who was one of our better players towards the end of last season and scored 5 goals in two games earlier this season.

I'm sure in October/ November the coaching staff didn't think 'that's it, we're down already, let's throw caution to the wind' did they?

Looking back now, we can all say that different players should have played, but for a large chunk of the season, it has never been a clear-cut majority decision that the wrong players are playing. Generally, the feeling is that our whole squad just isn't good enough. Adama included.

No hindsight needed, it was clear at the time for most. When Garde was here we needed to win games, it was obvious at that point that the likes of Richardson, Sinclair and Bacuna were not offering much going forward. We were the lowest goal scorers in the league, why would we persist with the same players when it clearly wasn't working? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Three of the four "managers" we've had this season aren't actually football managers. He was injured for most of Garde's reign? 

Eric Black, for example, continues to pick Joleon Lescott as captain. Neither does he seem to want to start Grealish. It's all a bit mad and I'm not sure that's a poor reflection on Adama. 

2 biggest games of Garde reign and Traore was on bench for both of them. Scott Sinclair, Richardson and Bacuna all got starts ahead of him in such big games :o

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Why persist with our top scorer? God knows Jonah. Madness probably.

Haha. If you looked at a stat sheet only, then maybe that would be good thinking. I'd hope managers were looking at slightly more. Oh I don't know, like performances perhaps. Like results perhaps. 

No, you were right, sticking with the same players while bottom of the league and not winning made perfect sense. 

Why give this guy a chance?

*edit*

Sinclair scored 2 premier league goals in August and you're actually defending his inclusion months later based on that. Brilliant 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2 biggest games of Garde reign and Traore was on bench for both of them. Scott Sinclair, Richardson and Bacuna all got starts ahead of him in such big games :o

And our only goal in those 2 games came from a run from Adama that no other player in this team was capable of. 

But yeah, let's stick with the same old shit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

And our only goal in those 2 games came from a run from Adama that no other player in this team was capable of. 

But yeah, let's stick with the same old shit. 

And a finish from Gil that no other player in our team is capable of...

Have I missed something here? My view is that Adama at first being eased into the season with Sherwood, before becoming injured against Notts County. Then Adama was being eased back in after that injury when he broke his foot. At no point this season, other than in Sherwoods first few games this season has Adama either not been injured or just returning from injury. I don't think we have had the luxury of just throwing him in for a start from memory? What part of the season was he fully fit? The man himself has said in recent days on the official website that it has been a frustrating season with injuries.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Have I missed something here? My view is that Adama at first being eased into the season with Sherwood, before becoming injured against Notts County. Then Adama was being eased back in after that injury when he broke his foot. At no point this season, other than in Sherwoods first few games this season has Adama either not been injured or just returning from injury. I don't think we have had the luxury of just throwing him in for a start from memory? What part of the season was he fully fit? The man himself has said in recent days on the official website that it has been a frustrating season with injuries.

he was fit and in squad from November 28th to January 2nd when he got injured again and was used very sparingly including 3 away games at our closest rivals for relegation which we got 1 point from

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he was fit and in squad from November 28th to January 2nd when he got injured again and was used very sparingly including 3 away games at our closest rivals for relegation which we got 1 point from

I have just done a bit of looking into this, and can see he was in the squad for December as you say. I guess the question is whether he was deemed fit enough to start, having just come back from a long term injury. You would hope that he would have been match fit for the Christmas games in this case as that was about 3-4 weeks after returning from injury. It is still a very small window that he was fit and available for starting matches imo.

I guess that as neither Sherwood or Garde started him during those two small windows during the season, that neither of them trusted Adama enough, or thought that the rest of the team were good enough, to carry a player who probably has major deficiancies in his game. I have not seen enough of Adama to know whether the good outweighs the bad at the moment. I have seen enough to know that he has exciting skill and pace as an individual, whether that would have been enough to turn some of the defeats into points we will never know. I do hope that he gets a run at some point, and hopefully gets a full season with us next year to really see what he can do.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Which 2 games are you on about?  DCJonah seems to refer to Sunderland and Norwich - in which only Bacuna played.

Also, didn't Traore assist Gil and then get injured?  Almost like he has some sort of injury record and problems, rather than everything being a conspiracy.  Odd, that.

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Which 2 games are you on about?  DCJonah seems to refer to Sunderland and Norwich - in which only Bacuna played.

Also, didn't Traore assist Gil and then get injured?  Almost like he has some sort of injury record and problems, rather than everything being a conspiracy.  Odd, that.

Sinclair and Richardson started on the flanks in the Norwich debacle, Bacuna played both games one in wide midfield

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well, they haven't, but that's not the point.

Regardless, it makes you wonder doesn't it? Three managers now won't start him. Why?

I'd love to see more of him, but if he's so good, why won't anybody start him?

Cos they are all shit managers.

• Like 1

Â