Rudy Gestede

midian

He's grafting away in fairness to him - but he's not mobile enough and I think if we're to change the shape he's one of those that will need to be sacrificed. Personally, I'd start with Ayew down the right, Grealish down the left and Kodjia up front - but I can't see the manager dropping both Gestede and McCormack.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's grafting away in fairness to him - but he's not mobile enough and I think if we're to change the shape he's one of those that will need to be sacrificed. Personally, I'd start with Ayew down the right, Grealish down the left and Kodjia up front - but I can't see the manager dropping both Gestede and McCormack.

I think our front 4 should be the ones against forest. Maybe swap Adomah for Ayew. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think our front 4 should be the ones against forest. Maybe swap Adomah for Ayew. 

A back four, then Ayew on the right, Grealish on the left - three from Jedinak, Gardner, Westwood or Tshibola in the middle and one from Gestede, Kodjia or McCormack up front.

We're not good enough in midfield to keep playing 4-2-4 and we need to try to stop pretending that McCormack can play as an attacking mid - he can attack but not do the midfield bit - we need to stop pretending that Kodjia can be a winger, he's a number 9, there's no balance in this side. On the evidence I've seen so far, he's our most complete centre forward and I'd play him. Up front. On his own.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

A back four, then Ayew on the right, Grealish on the left - three from Jedinak, Gardner, Westwood or Tshibola in the middle and one from Gestede, Kodjia or McCormack up front.

We're not good enough in midfield to keep playing 4-2-4 and we need to try to stop pretending that McCormack can play as an attacking mid - he can attack but not do the midfield bit - we need to stop pretending that Kodjia can be a winger, he's a number 9, there's no balance in this side. On the evidence I've seen so far, he's our most complete centre forward and I'd play him. Up front. On his own.

Kodjia should be our main man, no doubt about that. 

I think we can play 2 in midfiekd. We've dominated all but 1 league game and tshibola and Jedinak in my mind will be good enough. I think McCormack is a key player for us, we had no clue how to play with him not on the pitch tonight. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we can play 2 in midfiekd. We've dominated all but 1 league game and tshibola and Jedinak in my mind will be good enough. I think McCormack is a key player for us, we had no clue how to play with him not on the pitch tonight. 

Jedinak is a standing midfielder. He's not got a run in him. Maybe Tshibola and Westwood could do the job, but I don't think Jedinak has the energy for it. That said, you're right about McCormack. I'm struggling to put together a balanced Villa eleven that doesn't have twelve.

What we do have is potentially a very good number nine.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

For me the perfect impact sub at this level.

Problem is RDM will probably take the bait and start him at Barnsley. He generally does little for us when he starts against decent teams.

Doubt it, who would we realistically start him over? I really do like Gestede though.

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm only going by match reports, as I didn't see the second half, but it sounds like he made another impressive cameo? 

I agree that he's better coming off the bench than starting, we've seen it half a dozen times already this season. 

He had an impact before he even came on the pitch. He got the crowd onside and making some noise...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Doubt it, who would we realistically start him over? I really do like Gestede though.

I'd start going for it again. Go with Kodija and Gestede up top. With Ayew and Adomah or Grealish out wide assuming McCormack is still injured. Jedinak and Tish in the middle.

We have the squad to start blowing teams away. We aren't the best at defending but we won't have to worry about that if we are pinning teams back.

Gestede and Kodija as a front two in a team on the front foot will wreak havoc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think he has to start next game.

Him and Kodjia up front could cause problems.

Ross is devoid of confidence and we aren't going to play a system that will ever get the best out of him. I'm not even sure what that system is. That's the problem with Ross.

Gestede has been a handful when he's been in the pitch and Kodjia is mobile enough to make up for being next to a tree.

If we are going to persist with Adomah on he right then Bruce needs to buy a left winger in January as well as a CM

I know all the negatives towards him, but with our team in the current state for me he represents the most effective forward

They all have different attributes.

but we look like being more trouble to the opposition when he is playing....He disrupts them and I think he defends from the front better than any of the other forwards.

You do get more aerial balls at this level and he is clearly more adept at dealing with them.

He is not our best forward, ( but define best?) but our most effective in terms of TEAM contribution.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Demitri_C said:

Bench for me, has done nothing to show that he deserves to start. After his goals against Rotherham I was thinking he is going to be   abeast at this level but like last season...done very little. 

Previous club factor though.  Blackburn ...

Â