Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

6 minutes ago, mwj said:

I think he will prove to be decent in the same way that Stan Petrov took an entire season to come good. People said some horrific stuff on here in his first season and now he's a club legend. Coming from a bottom half Ligue 1 side is probably equivalent to coming from Scotland

The skills and the vision are there, he just makes his decisions at about 40% the required speed for the PL. Work rate needs improving also

I agree with most of what you say apart from the bit in bold.  Coming from bottom half 'League 1' may be equivalent to Scotland but not 'Ligue 1'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not a knock at you, AntrimBlack but I'm so fed up of this argument that he's not good because of the players around him. 
I'm fed up of this argument when it is used to defend any player, not just Veretout.

His lack of fitness, ability to keep the ball, score or position himself correctly isn't down to the players he's playing with.

Good players are just good. Even in poor teams, they stand out. That's because they're good players.
This same argument has been used to defend Westwood in the past.

People need to stop looking for excuses for players. Especially this one.

The whole of our midfield is poor and it isn't because they have a below par defence behind them and nor is it because they dont have Benteke in front of them. Its poor because none of them are very good. 

Very good points, Delphino, and you are correct. And I have made that same point myself in the past.

I would only argue that, in this particular case, the player has shown that he has talent, unlike the other players you refer to, and I think you do not lose that. I will be surprised if he does not become a very good player at some point.

No one would ever question Petrov's attitude though and Petrov was at a completely differerent level . Probably one of the best players that has ever played in the SPL.

My point was that at the time, the majority of posters on here didn't exactly share that opinion. It was only in the second season that he started to win over everyone.

I think the potential is there with Veretout but the quality is definitely lacking currently... Time will tell

I thought this guy would turn out to be special but I just don't see anything. He's not someone who stands out for his tackling, he doesn't drive forward with the ball, his passing is nothing special and he rarely looks like a goal threat. He's just a new version of westwood at the moment and no real improvement. He's been a massive let down, like most of our summer signings 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I thought this guy would turn out to be special but I just don't see anything. He's not someone who stands out for his tackling, he doesn't drive forward with the ball, his passing is nothing special and he rarely looks like a goal threat. He's just a new version of westwood at the moment and no real improvement. He's been a massive let down, like most of our summer signings 

This summer window must go down as one of the worst in the club's history. Apart from Ayew they have all been spectacularly shit. Amavi showed some signs he may be half decent but I'd happily send all the other players we purchased back.

48 minutes ago, mwj said:

My point was that at the time, the majority of posters on here didn't exactly share that opinion. It was only in the second season that he started to win over everyone.

I think the potential is there with Veretout but the quality is definitely lacking currently... Time will tell

Yes maybe but not at Villa. He might go on the cheap to Leicester in the summer.

Yes maybe but not at Villa. He might go on the cheap to Leicester in the summer.

Why would it be on the cheap? He's one year into a 5 year contract.

His choices are to play for us in the Championship, or pull a Berahino and that's worked out great for him so far.

Who knows if he has a clause in his contract! Otherwise we are not forced to sell but Garde or the new manager will have to move players on in order to bring in new players and Veretout has been one of the biggest failures this season.

He has been a very poor signing, a complete waste of money. Whilst he isn't without talent (clearly) he has utterly failed to show it anywhere near enough, he has not been consistent and he has not been productive. Very disappointed by him, I had high hopes. 

1 hour ago, KHV said:

This summer window must go down as one of the worst in the club's history. Apart from Ayew they have all been spectacularly shit. Amavi showed some signs he may be half decent but I'd happily send all the other players we purchased back.

Yep, I've read throughout this season that our summer recruits aren't the problem. But they really are. Some of them may be slightly better than what we've got but on the whole they haven't looked premier league quality. Even Ayew has only shown it in around 6-7 games. 

funny thing is I think if he would be good in a side with a good base already instead of been thrown into the joke that is Aston Villa. He has got a lot of assists for us this season which is an achievement

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, I've read throughout this season that our summer recruits aren't the problem. But they really are. Some of them may be slightly better than what we've got but on the whole they haven't looked premier league quality. Even Ayew has only shown it in around 6-7 games. 

The players from different leagues all get a pass mark from me - simply because they are acclimatising. Ayew, Gana and Amavi are PL quality, for mine, and would do well in a better side.

The real disaster is our existing and/or "experienced" players who, for the most part, have been plain awful:

• Richards
  • Lescott
  • Bacuna
  • Guzan
  • Agbonlahor
  • Sanchez

I'd add Westwood and Hutton but they are the same as every other year: mediocre.

Okore seems to be the only existing player getting better - and even that is debatable.

Â