Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

He should replace Gil behind the strikers. Can pick a pass and at least doesn't get pushed off the ball like a 6 year old and might actually press their backline instead of poncing around like poor man's David Silva.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

I expected more from him but have been so underwhelmed. Very poor signing!

He's been better since around xmas in fairness but against top class opposition him and Gana still look so poor.

As someone said elsewhere he must've sacked his agent for not pushing through the Leicester move!

Their plan B was Kante aswell. It never rains....

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's been better since around xmas in fairness but against top class opposition him and Gana still look so poor.

As someone said elsewhere he must've sacked his agent for not pushing through the Leicester move!

Their plan B was Kante aswell. It never rains....

the thing is Liverpool are far from top class. Can, Henderson and Milner is as about as workmanlike as you can get in midfield 

I will go into bat to defend Veretout, not for his performance today - he was absolute shite, there's no possible denying it - but for his recent improvement and his potential to get better. 

I still believe, though of course it was shaken today. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I will go into bat to defend Veretout, not for his performance today - he was absolute shite, there's no possible denying it - but for his recent improvement and his potential to get better. 

I still believe, though of course it was shaken today. 

He has got better yes, but still not good enough for the premier league

Thing is with Veretout I'm not sure what kind of player he is supposed to be. He has a nice eye for a pass and his technique is sound without being spectacular.

In the 10 roll he doesn't really have the skill or magic to open teams up. You feel like he should be the type of player who pops up with regular goals but he doesn't do that either.

Which all leads you to feel that maybe he would be better in a deeper or box to box position. However his defending is very poor he doesn't have the legs or pace to keep with top players in this league. At the start of the season I thought he wasn't fit but as its gone on I think he is just heavy legged in general, doesn't have that speed to match the runs.

So I don't really see a PL there right now. Might be decent in the championship though so fingers crossed.

Maybe but we can only base it on what he has done for Villa. He's been a first team regular under Garde and maybe he's shown little glimpses of the reason why we signed him but its not enough. He's another loser in a team of losers. and Liverpool are just a mid- table team  who were well beaten by Leicester two weeks ago. You can talk about Sturridge and Coutinho but if you give these players the freedom of the park these players will hurt you. Imagine what the scoreline would have been against Barcelona. 

Edited by PaulC

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Because we have no width in our stupidly built squad.

While I'm not a fan of Scott Sinclair he is a wide player. I thought Veretout out there offered nothing. Every time he had to play a sideways or backwards ball. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

While I'm not a fan of Scott Sinclair he is a wide player. I thought Veretout out there offered nothing. Every time he had to play a sideways or backwards ball. 

He didn't run on enough, agreed.  But then I think most people wouldn't want Sinclair playing left wing each match either.  We should really sack off width and just play incredibly central football :D

• Like 1

He didn't run on enough, agreed.  But then I think most people wouldn't want Sinclair playing left wing each match either.  We should really sack off width and just play incredibly central football [emoji3]

One of our main problems for years is we've played with no width.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Thing is, if he'd have gone to Leicester, he'd be a completely different (as in better) player.

Not necessarily. Leicester have shit players too. There is very little to suggest that Veretout would be any better at Leicester.

If he was anything remotely worth shouting about then he'd have shown an ounce of a leadership, drive, the ability to change a game. Just something other than a few tidy passes here and there. 

Thing with good players, regardless of excuses, you notice them. You just simply don't notice this guy. Or many of our players.

You notice richards. On occasions ayew. The rest have been very very poor and I find it astounding that people are STILL arguing against that. 

The usual 'player gets covered in cotton wool scenario'. Randy Lerner's a bad owner don't get me wrong. But he's no worse of an owner than a lot of our players are at playing football (based on this season's performances. Absolutely shite.

Â