Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Is everyone "terrible" or "pants" to this guy? Blimey. 

I like Tom Cleverley, he's far from "terrible" and almost certainly would have been better than Veretout this season overall. I'd love Cleverley back at some point I rated him from the beginning, though I think Veretout has a higher ceiling having two good midfielders is fine! 

One is 26 and been around the top flight for nearly 8 years, the other 22 with 3 months of Premier League football under his belt in a team that was very poor up until 5 games ago.

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is everyone "terrible" or "pants" to this guy? Blimey. 

I like Tom Cleverley, he's far from "terrible" and almost certainly would have been better than Veretout this season overall. I'd love Cleverley back at some point I rated him from the beginning, though I think Veretout has a higher ceiling having two good midfielders is fine! 

One is 26 and been around the top flight for nearly 8 years, the other 22 with 3 months of Premier League football under his belt in a team that was very poor up until 5 games ago.

I think Veretout's upturn started with the Watford game which was more than 5 games ago.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would walk into our midfield. 

First time round he didn't. In fact he was one of the most derided players and only really came good towards the end of his time with us. Given that he had extensive PL experience, I would say overall he was disappointing and eventually Veretout (with very little PL experience) will be seen as a much better player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I am a big fan and think he has a great future. He gets better every game. 

Me too. He is classy on the ball whilst being quite tenacious without it. Very positive signs from someone so young. 

Veretout has 5 assists in the equivalent of 16 full league games. Cleverly had 0 assists in the equivalent of 29 full league games. 

Veretout has 0 goals in the equivalent of 16 full league games. Cleverly had 3 goals in the equivalent of 29 full league games.

Involvement in 2 more goals in nearly half the playing time without Benteke to ping balls to. I would suggest Veretout would be on even more assists if Benteke was in this side. He did start poorly, there's no arguing against that but if you can't see the progression in him then you're either on the wind-up or blinkered. He's starting to play a bit more advanced than he used to also so it's only a matter of time before a goal or 2 arrive. It's a simplistic view to think that because the team has been poor and struggling that in turn it means all the players are poor.

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

@Wezbid Thats a very good point actually regarding Cleverly playing behind benteke. 

Its difficult to do your job as an attacking midfielder when the guys in front of you have the turning circle of the QE2.

5 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I am a big fan and think he has a great future. He gets better every game. 

Me too. One of my very few liked players in our current squad and on the way to becoming my favourite player down the Villa. I think he will become one of our prized assets if we hold onto him in the summer. Will tear the championship clubs apart imo.

5 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

First time round he didn't. In fact he was one of the most derided players and only really came good towards the end of his time with us. Given that he had extensive PL experience, I would say overall he was disappointing and eventually Veretout (with very little PL experience) will be seen as a much better player.

Totally agree. Cleverley was really crap until virtually the end of the season was looming and the talk over contracts and moving from Utd started. Gave us about 5 decent games last season whilst looking for the exit.   

• Like 1

I agreed with most of you until you started to put down Cleverley. To me Cleverley was last year a clearly better player than Veretout has been this year. He was not crap at all, even if most here thought he was. He had it in him all the time, but things didn't click until further on in the season. Hmmmm.... sounds familiar, doesn't it.

Edited by AVTuco

Stats don't mean everything. Cleverly is a good player and is doing fantastic at Everton. I'd rather have Cleverly at the moment than Veretout, but the margin isn't massive. Veretout also is younger and has the ability to become a lot better. I want to see him become our Erikson. 

Edited by Czechlad

I'm staggered at how many people would prefer Cleverley. Veretout is a real positive for us. In any struggling team Cleverley would be hiding. Plus he's incapable of driving forwards with the ball, something Veretout does well.

• Like 1

I think veretout has the higher ceiling.

I can see the argument that right now Cleverley would be the better choice, even if I'm not sure myself whether that's correct.

But I'd rather have Veretout because I think he'll end up being better.

• Like 4

I wish there we had two Veretout's. One to play deeper and drive the play forward and one to play in the number 10 role where he can do his intelligent slide-rule passes to a striker who can move for toffee and see the space that Veretout can see when playing the through ball.

This is the big difference between Westwood and Veretout for example. Westwood will keep the ball moving and be satisfied we still have the ball, Veretout on the other hand wants to keep the ball but drive the play forward. That's something that unfortunately we will never see from Westwood. It'd be alright if he had strength and was a tackling machine but he isn't so he's very limited even if he's neat and tidy. Before he gets mentioned, Carrick is stronger than Westwood off the ball and on it can thread 50 yard passes forward on the deck for breakfast. 

I didn't intend this post to turn into a Westwood slight, apologies. Back to it, let's clone Veretout. Gordon Berrehtoo, he can be the one who plays deeper with Gana.

Â