Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Anyone who thinks he's looked anything but woeful is a bit deluded imo. 

If you can barely get a kick in this team your either injured or shit.

One thing I like about Westwood. He didn't cost 8m.

Deluded? It's not like the guy has played every game so far? Don't get me wrong, he has not been that wonderful, but equally in the games he has played he has shown glimpses that he might go onto do something here. To say he's been woeful is incredibly harsh in my opinion.

• Like 3

It's interesting that Veretout came with perhaps the biggest reputation of all of our signings, there were some extremely positive write ups about how good he is. So far, he reminds me a little bit of Berson, he's technically pretty good, neat and tidy for the most part, but not particularly effective. 

Like a lot of our new signings, he's struggling with the pace and physicality of this league. My biggest fear is that he's really just another water-carrier type player, and we have plenty of those, we need someone who can do more than just find and shirt and be neat in possession. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if already posted, I couldn't see it if it was. This is from the Birmingham Mail, it's K-Mac's opinion on Veretout. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-jordan-veretout-improved-10362595#ICID=FB-Birm-avfc

(Mods; sorry cannot get url to embed, I have included the [  ] bit but it doesn't work!)

Nothing ground breaking in there, just posting as thought some might be interested. Sorry about formatting, it's all over the place.

QUOTE:

Jordan Veretout is starting to show signs that he could soon become an important player for Aston Villa.

The 22-year-old has been suffering with a niggling injury that has affected his progress since his £8million move from FC Nantes.

On top of that, Veretout, a quiet lad, has had to adapt to the new surroundings following his first move from his hometown in France.

In July he became a father for the first time and has also had to have English lessons after training to get up the speed with the language.

Stand-in boss Kevin MacDonald said:

“From what I’ve seen he’s been very good.

“He’s a wonderful passer of the ball but he keeps picking up little niggles.

“They’re not bad enough that he can’t play or train but I think that might be affecting him.

“He started wonderfully and had a little dip but watching him I think he is coming back again.

“I want to see him creating more chances with his passing. He needs to get on the ball more than anybody else.”

Veretout and Jordan Amavi are the two players who have struggled to pick up the language in their early days in the Midlands.

The pair can both communicate enough to get by but they understand their English is still very basic and are working hard on improving it.

For Veretout, his move over to England has been far from plain sailing. He had to stay in a hotel for six weeks with his wife and newborn daughter but now they have a home in Birmingham he is starting to feel more comfortable in the city.

Jordan Ayew and Idrissa Gana are both slightly more advanced while Rudy Gestede has no problems communicating as he’s been in the country for the past four years.

"Most of them understand enough English, not a problem,” added MacDonald.

“When it comes to the language of football if you show them what you want and they are good enough to do it, they will do it.”

Asked whether Remi Garde would be be a good appointment for the French speakers at the club, the caretaker boss added:

“If he is to be the new manager, he will know all about the French players and all the players we have got in the squad.

“He may even know about some of the younger players as well.

“When you are going to go into a different football club you get as much information as possible.

“Although they are still talking compensation for his assistants he will be finding out everything about the club, I would imagine.”

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Every time I've watched Veretout I think he's shown some real promise, a genuine footballer. The midfield against Bournemouth looked comfortable and he did well against Man United if not looking a little tired, then didn't play much at all. Thought he also did well against Blues.

Good article above, it is however the risk of signing players from foreign leagues and the time they can take to settle before you see a real difference - our awful start has only amplified this.

Its hard for the English players to get their heads around Tims Tactics let alone a frenchman with limited understanding of the English language.

We have a french manager now.. i think we will see the best of alot of our players.. and not just the french lads.. i can see even the likes of Clark.. Bacuna etc improving.. even someone like Gabby he needs alot of instructions to get the best out of him.

For some reason I have belief this kid will come good and be a good player for us.  The reports before we signed him and just one or two glimpses of something there when he's been on the pitch.  I can't argue that he's really done nothing so far but those few glimpses give me hope that it is just time he needs.

Apparently he's been at his previous club since he was very young (like 9 years old) - so its probably all a bit of a shock to him.  His lack of pace and general fitness is a concern though.

I think he wil come good sooner or later, hopefully sooner. I think a large part of why he has looked off the pace and tired is that his wife gave birth to their first child just after the transfer. Moving to a new league and new house is difficult enough but to add in a new born and the subsequent lack of sleep and potentially stressed out wife who has left her family and friends back home at a crucial time. Once this has settled down I think his fitness and sharpness will appear a lot better.

This guy will come good I'm sure of it.

Yep, I'm confident there's a player in there.

The issues I have is people claiming he should be in the starting XI already. He's not ready yet, but he has potential.

He hasn't really shown anything in a Villa shirt yet.

Yes he has. He can spot and execute a through ball better than anyone else at the club.

I disagree completely.

he has potential. But apart from against Notts County, he's not looked any good so far.

He hasn't really shown anything in a Villa shirt yet.

Yes he has. He can spot and execute a through ball better than anyone else at the club.

I disagree completely.

he has potential. But apart from against Notts County, he's not looked any good so far.

Agreed. I don't disagree that he has potential, I'm sure he does, he came with a pretty big reputation and lots of good journalists who watch French football have said as much. But in a Villa shirt, I really haven't seen anything from him yet. At best he has been neat and tidy but pretty ineffective, has looked inferior to Westwood so far.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Absolutely.

The only reason I'd put him in ahead of Westwood would be because he probably has a higher ceiling so the sooner he gets up to speed the better.
But I'm not really sure we can afford to do that.

Â