Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

36 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This is the issue I have. There's an assumption out there that if you're a full back and you are decent going forward you can learn to defend. A full backs primary job is to defend. Get one who can do that first and then teach him how to go forward not the other way around. Give me a Dennis irwin over a dani Alves any day of the week. 

As for amavi, delighted to get rid of him. He was vastly over rated on here because he looked flashy going forward. Amazed we got so much for him given that it doesn't look like his career is on an upward trajectory. 

ha ha waiting to get something I agree with you on.....1000%.....and the rest of the post.

12 hours ago, BOF said:

So according to Xia he IS gone.  The loan before buy is only for payment scheduling reasons.  Probably relating to FFP.  They will be buying. 

Must say that the club/Xia have impressed me with their foresight on this transfer.

Obviously ok this year for FFP, but then we get the fee next year enabling us to spend more next year under FFP, when the parachute payments are reduced. Seems like we finally have people running Villa that know what they are doing and have a long term strategy. Very refreshing after Lerner. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

This is the issue I have. There's an assumption out there that if you're a full back and you are decent going forward you can learn to defend. A full backs primary job is to defend. Get one who can do that first and then teach him how to go forward not the other way around. Give me a Dennis irwin over a dani Alves any day of the week. 

As for amavi, delighted to get rid of him. He was vastly over rated on here because he looked flashy going forward. Amazed we got so much for him given that it doesn't look like his career is on an upward trajectory. 

I never understood this attacking full back praise. Unless setting up goals consistently a full back role is to defend first

11 hours ago, decamoto said:

Must say that the club/Xia have impressed me with their foresight on this transfer.

Obviously ok this year for FFP, but then we get the fee next year enabling us to spend more next year under FFP, when the parachute payments are reduced. Seems like we finally have people running Villa that know what they are doing and have a long term strategy. Very refreshing after Lerner. 

I think that's a generous reading of events but I hope you're right.

The cynical counterpoint would be - ballsed up FFP this summer and unable to spend anything, starting to realise promotion isn't likely and that we now have a squad with few saleable assets - looking to phase some of the potential earnings from our remaining saleable assets into next summer so we can stumble through FFP next year and maybe don't end up with nine seniors and fourteen teenagers in the squad, rather than risking more this summer on a target that's largely unachievable. 

I really do genuinely hope you're right!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's a generous reading of events but I hope you're right.

The cynical counterpoint would be - ballsed up FFP this summer and unable to spend anything, starting to realise promotion isn't likely and that we now have a squad with few saleable assets - looking to phase some of the potential earnings from our remaining saleable assets into next summer so we can stumble through FFP next year and maybe don't end up with nine seniors and fourteen teenagers in the squad, rather than risking more this summer on a target that's largely unachievable. 

I really do genuinely hope you're right!

I highly doubt the board think promotion is highly unlikely after one game. It'll be tough with so many teams capable of beating one another and going on a run but that's completely different. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Fab said:

Would love to be able to recall this guy for October... 

Really?......against small heath maybe. Can't imagine the fun wolves and Fulham would have against him.

Terrible defender and always likely to drop a clanger.

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

gave the ball away in stupid area for Nice 2nd goal tonight

I didn't see the game and you can't really see it on the highlights but they won 2-4 and his performances have been good up until yesterday. He's keeping Patrice Evra out of the team.

Marseille's Jordan Amavi looks a different player after Aston Villa exit

Jordan Amavi struggled during his speculation ridden final few months at Villa but has thrived since returning to Ligue 1 with Marseille.

September 21, 2017

Aston Villa supporters weren't losing too much sleep when left back Jordan Amavi completed his expected return to Ligue 1 with Marseille this summer.

As reported by ESPN, the former Nice prospect joined L'OM's so called 'Champions Project', designed to return the 1993 Champions League winners to Europe's top table on a season long loan with an option to buy.

Only eight months ago, Villa's outspoken owner Tony Xia claimed that the club had rejected an offer of £25 million for an unnamed though likely Chinese club for Amavi, per the Guardian. However the fact that he was allowed to leave for a fraction of that price just a few months later speaks volumes about his performances in the second half of the Championship season.

Back to his best?

Amavi is an excellent outlet going forward but his defensive awareness like countless modern day full backs leaves a lot to be desired. A series of error-strewn displays meant the 23 year old eventually lost his place to Welsh international Neil Taylor brought in during the January transfer window in an exchange deal with Jordan Ayew.

Yet the former France Under 23 international already looks reborn after just a few games back in his homeland. After a humiliating 6-1 thrashing away to Monaco aside in which the entire Marseille team failed to show up and Amavi was hooked at half time, the jet-heeled left back has impressed in recent wins against Konyaspor in the Europa League and Amiens in Ligue 1.

In fact, Amavi's performance in that 2-0 win away from home this weekend, sealed by a double from Spurs flop Clinton N'Jie, offered a timely reminder why he was once one of France's most exciting young defenders. 

Suddenly the place of veteran Patrice Evra looks under serious threat. Based on the last two encounters, the Amavi of Marseille is a different one entirely to the Amavi that struggled during his final few months at Villa.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/09/21/marseilles-jordan-amavi-looks-a-different-player-after-aston-vil/

Edited by Michael118

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Marseille's Jordan Amavi looks a different player after Aston Villa exit

Amavi is an excellent outlet going forward but his defensive awareness like countless modern day full backs leaves a lot to be desired. A series of error-strewn displays meant the 23 year old eventually lost his place to Welsh international Neil Taylor brought in during the January transfer window in an exchange deal with Jordan Ayew.

Yet the former France Under 23 international already looks reborn after just a few games back in his homeland. After a humiliating 6-1 thrashing away to Monaco aside in which the entire Marseille team failed to show up and Amavi was hooked at half time, the jet-heeled left back has impressed in recent wins against Konyaspor in the Europa League and Amiens in Ligue 1.

gave the ball away in stupid area for Nice 2nd goal tonight

Doesnt sound like a different player to me!

Amavi performs well in a tinpot league against shit teams. Against decent opposition he is still crap. He was atrocious against Monaco I watched that game. Most championship teams would beat ligue 1 teams except PSG, Monaco and Lyon. 

He really is nothing special. Taylor is a much better player.

On 10/2/2017 at 21:27, KHV said:

Amavi performs well in a tinpot league against shit teams. Against decent opposition he is still crap. He was atrocious against Monaco I watched that game. Most championship teams would beat ligue 1 teams except PSG, Monaco and Lyon. 

He really is nothing special. Taylor is a much better player.

Total nonsense. 

Amavi played really well again at his old stomping ground in Nice at the weekend and has now been called up to the senior French squad.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2017 at 11:54, BOF said:

He's going to be the next French leftback.

Well that didn't take long.

Into the squad about 2 months after moving clubs.  Now to establish himself...

New France call up was playing in the Championship five months ago

Jordan Amavi, who finished last season at Aston Villa, has been included in France's latest squad

On 7 May Jordan Amavi lasted 65 minutes of Aston Villa’s 1-1 draw with promotion-bound Brighton.

Fast forward five months and he’s just been called up to the France national team as a replacement for PSG’s Layvin Kurzawa.

So what changed?

For a start, Amavi left Villa this summer and joined Ligue 1 side Marseille.

The 23-year-old has played six times for Marseille this season, with one of those appearances coming in the Europa League.

He’s yet to score or assist but he has been a part of three clean sheets.

nintchdbpict0003581184201-e1507123076253

The left-back has been capped at Under-18, Under-20 and Under-21 level, playing at the 2014 Toulon Tournament alongside Adrien Rabiot and Tiemoue Bakayoko.

Amavi now has a chance to win his first senior cap against either Bulgaria or Belarus.

France are top of Group A, ahead of Sweden and Holland, and could confirm qualification for the 2018 World Cup if results go their way.

Their only loss in the group came against Sweden, although Didier Deschamps’ side did draw to Luxembourg in their last game.

But Amavi will be too excited to think about that at the moment.

Can you imagine how it feels going from playing with Gabriel Agbonlahor and Alan Hutton to Antoine Griezmann and Kylian Mbappe?

Â