Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

Couple of Marseille games I've seen he hasn't been that great..they conceded twice at the weekend and he was booked.

Does justified him wanting to move though as he'd have been miles down the list if he'd stayed as a championship squad player.

Can't get a game for us in the Championship but 6 games for Marseille and he's called up to play for France.

Just astounded by some of the decisions that have been made over the last 2 and a half seasons.

Edited by Michael118

It was obvious that France would give him opportunities if he was playing regularly at his club, because if you play for the France under 21 team you're more than likely going to be give a game or 2 in the full squad.  

He's a good player, just didn't suit our tactics and then he got that injury.  On the continent, you get a bit more time on the ball and your technique becomes more apparent, he always had good technique.

Hope it all goes well for him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But he was shit for us.

Fair play to him if he's improved since he left and if he's worked his way into the French squad.

But playing for us, in the championship, he was largely garbage. Why that happened I don't know. But let's not rewrite history.

TBF everyone was shit for us. Kodija excluded.

Him included.

I put a lot of the blame on our managers inability to organize the team and create a tactic where the players felt comfortable.

Nice for him, always thought this was going to happen once he got to a more playing team. Still has a long way to go to be a regular in their squad thou.

Doubt he'll be in the WC squad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sne said:

TBF everyone was shit for us. Kodija excluded.

Him included.

I put a lot of the blame on our managers inability to organize the team and create a tactic where the players felt comfortable.

Nice for him, always thought this was going to happen once he got to a more playing team. Still has a long way to go to be a regular in their squad thou.

Doubt he'll be in the WC squad.

To be honest, I think you're placing far too much emphasis on the impact of the manager on a player's performance. If a player has the ability,  it will show even if tactics,  formation etc., could be improved. 

Amavi  looked hopeless at left back and regularly got skinned by wingers. That's basic, not much to do with tactics. Taylor came in and looked OK. Not sure the tactics changed, it was just that Taylor is an OK defender and Amavi wasn't.

I'm glad for him if he's doing better in Ligue 1 but unfortunately for him and us we need someone who can do well in the Championship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Can't get a game for us in the Championship but 6 games for Marseille and he's called up to play for France.

Just astounded by some of the decisions that have been made over the last 2 and a half seasons.

Good luck to him I say. He was very poor the few times I saw him last season so you can’t blame anyone for letting him go. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out. He is obviously at home in France and doing well in France so I can’t see much of a career for him away from the French league.

Being called up to a French squad, although obviously great news for him, is not an indicator of being a brilliant talent. Look at the amount of shite that has got international caps down the years. Bruno N’Gotty got 6 caps for France. Bruno **** N’Gotty!

If he makes regular appearances in that position then good on him. It’s more down to injury than his ability in my opinion.

Edited by Mjvilla

24 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

To be honest, I think you're placing far too much emphasis on the impact of the manager on a player's performance. If a player has the ability,  it will show even if tactics,  formation etc., could be improved. 

Amavi  looked hopeless at left back and regularly got skinned by wingers. That's basic, not much to do with tactics. Taylor came in and looked OK. Not sure the tactics changed, it was just that Taylor is an OK defender and Amavi wasn't.

I'm glad for him if he's doing better in Ligue 1 but unfortunately for him and us we need someone who can do well in the Championship.

To a point yes.

But I feel a players negatives becomes more exposed in a not settled team not working, same as a player who is more attack oriented and technical gets even more room to shine if the team is set up right.

I do agree with you on Amavi for us thou. He never lived up to my pretty high hopes, sadly. Still feel there is a player in him under the right circumstances.

Also agree on Taylor, he looked much more solid even thou he hardly helped out in attacks at all. Did the basics. Taylor also had the help of playing with better midfielders that was signed in January, even thou the result were awful.

Edited by sne

7 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I'm usually in the same boat as you with out decision with these players, but in this case I can't agree.

1. He desperately wanted to go.

2. He wasn't pulling up any trees for us.

3. We don't have the type of manager which would ever get the best out of his "potential" as he is very much more of an attacking wingback than a straightforward right back.

Having said that, I would have been prepared to allow him out on loan, and potentially bringing him back if/when we got promoted to see if we could have a structure in place where he could be successful.

Nothing against him, but there were a whole list of circumstances which prevented him from making it here.

We might look back on Scott Hogan the same way, very good player, wrong place, wrong time etc.

On 05/10/2017 at 05:00, Michael118 said:

Perhaps because ever time he got a game for us he was a liability.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kingman said:

Slap another £5m on the price tag thankyouplease.

One would imagine that, as this deal has allegedly involved an "obligation to buy" that the price has already been set.

On 05/10/2017 at 05:00, Michael118 said:

Give over, he was bang average here, irrespective of all other considerations.

It's not the clubs fault he couldn't track a man, nor pass the ball 10 yards to a teammate

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 09:24, lapal_fan said:

It was obvious that France would give him opportunities if he was playing regularly at his club, because if you play for the France under 21 team you're more than likely going to be give a game or 2 in the full squad.  

He's a good player, just didn't suit our tactics and then he got that injury.  On the continent, you get a bit more time on the ball and your technique becomes more apparent, he always had good technique.

Hope it all goes well for him. 

Absolutely right.  A lot of it is speed of thought, the best players are those to whom movement and ball play comes naturally.  There are then some who, given time and space can read the play, produce wonderful passes etc but speed things up and they just don't have the capacity to tell their bodies what to do in time.

I actually think Amavi will improve in that regard, playing in L1 will allow him time on the ball to build confidence to develop that instinctual movement.

On a related note, I think this is why Thor looks so bad.  I don't think he has much in the way of natural ability so the move up to a faster league has been very tough for him - sadly i don't think he will improve much in that area either :-(

Just now, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Absolutely right.  A lot of it is speed of thought, the best players are those to whom movement and ball play comes naturally.  There are then some who, given time and space can read the play, produce wonderful passes etc but speed things up and they just don't have the capacity to tell their bodies what to do in time.

I actually think Amavi will improve in that regard, playing in L1 will allow him time on the ball to build confidence to develop that instinctual movement.

On a related note, I think this is why Thor looks so bad.  I don't think he has much in the way of natural ability so the move up to a faster league has been very tough for him - sadly i don't think he will improve much in that area either :-(

Agree with most of that, Mr Zeus (plz dnt smite me).

However, I actually think Thor will get better with time.  I don't think we'll see the best of him until late this season.  He's got a great engine, and he's willing to use it.  I don't think effort is going to be a problem with him.  

However, coming from the Swiss league, playing for Basel  where they win most of the time and he's played quite a bit in Italy too, these are much slower leagues than ours.  He's actually got decent goal scoring records from midfield at Basel and Pescara .  I think once he becomes more accustomed to moving the ball much quicker, he'll actually become an asset. 

He hasn't had a great start, but I think I see a pretty solid - if unspectacular - performer, if he is afforded the opportunity.  Pretty big IF though with the competition for those MF spots.  I don't think he's suited to playing on the wing or as a wing back though, so he may not get many more chances. 

• Like 1

Â