Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

The English pronounciation is Guy the French is gey.

Here (you have to cick the speaker to hear an audio sample)

' English, Spanish, French. French detected'.

Surely the English pronunciation is irrelevant?

Maybe it should be. But foreign words sometimes have 'English' pronounciations that stick and become popular use. Like when most of us say Paris we don't say Paree.

Edit: I'm sure in games he'll be known as Gana anyway and if he feels the need he can set the record straight on how to pronounce Gueye.

Edited by useless

Villa in Portugal diary: Cole on Wilkins, Gueye, Richards and Bunn
Joe Cole discusses claret and blue matters.
14th Jul 2015

0,,10265~13846737,00.jpg

First off, let's have a look at our new recruits - with three that are very familiar to me.

Idrissa Gueye has come in from my old club Lille - and I think he will be a wonderful addition to our squad for the new season.

He's a really good player. I played with him in France.

He was a younger player coming through. He played the same position as our captain at the time. He didn't play every week. But when he did play, he was exceptional.

You knew he'd develop into a top player. We're getting him at the age of 25 and he's coming into the prime of his career. It's a good move for the club.

He will fit into the way we play. He will be excited about coming here and playing in the Premier League. I have been texting him. I don't think it will take him that long to settle in here either.

He has all the physical attributes to play in the Premier League.

I can remember one game we played together in the Champions League in Moscow and he was outstanding. He was a dominant force. That stood out for me. He's certainly not scared of the big stage.

Playing-wise, he is similar to Fabian. He has good energy. He's a good footballer. He can get forward and get back.

He's a good lad too. He has a solid personality. He wants to do well and he wants to win. The fans will like him.

0,,10265~13846736,00.jpg

We're also welcoming Ray Wilkins to the club. It's great to see him here.

I played for him at Chelsea. He's a great football man. As far as No.2s go, Ray is probably the best around, especially for the gaffer who is starting out in his managerial career.

Ray has worked at all levels in the game. He had a stellar football career and as a coach he has done it all. He was exceptional at Chelsea. He linked the players with the manager and he supported the manager.

I am really pleased to have him here. He is a real gentleman and a real character.

He is someone the young lads should look up to. I am telling them about what a great player he was and the teams he played for.

He is a proper man. He has everything.

His singing isn't too bad either, let me tell you! He did his initiation song on the first night.

Ray did 'Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner' which is what I have done at every club I've been to.

It's a horrible feeling to get up and sing with everyone watching. But you have to do it!

It was a good performance. He's a smooth crooner! You'd think he was one of the Rat Pack!

0,,10265~13846735,00.jpg

Micah Richards, who I have played with for England, has also arrived and I'm excited about the signing.

In my opinion he is a player with unbelievable attributes. He has said his best years are ahead of him and I agree with that.

He had a fantastic start to his career. He got into the England team and he won things at Man City and became a fan favourite. Then he found his chances a bit more limited.

But he's still a kid really. He can play for another 10 years! I think he can be a brilliant signing for us.

He will have a real drive to succeed too. You can already tell that from the way he's talking. He's desperate to do well.

We're getting him at the right time, just like Idrissa.

He's done his apprenticeship and now here's here to be a big part of the team.

0,,10265~13839622,00.jpg

Finally, we have had Mark Bunn join us here in Portugal.

I can only go on what I have seen in training - because I don't know Bunny too well - but he's done really well.

He's a good goalkeeper and he will be pushing Brad Guzan all the way.

I had a chat with him the other day. He's a nice fella.

He will be an important member of the squad.

It's difficult being a goalkeeper because there's only once place. But I am sure he will be pushing to stake his claim to be No.1.

He's looked very good in training. He's looked commanding. It's another good signing.

0,,10265~13846733,00.jpg

Signing off with my own aspirations, I enjoyed the first game here in Portugal.

I am just trying to get through the pre-season - get that base in my legs.

The games I played last year, I thought I did alright. But it's about getting more volume obviously.

I want to get to the start of the season fit, sharp and looking forward to the campaign ahead.

I am determined. I have worked very, very hard in the pre-season - I have done lots of different things.

And, of course, I have a real desire to play football. If I didn't I'd be on the beach somewhere.

I am determined to play. I enjoy it. I love it. The Premier League is where it's at. This club is great, the lads are superb, I love playing for this team. I get on with everyone.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4862705,00.html?

I had forgotten that Joe used to play for Lille! (With Gueye)

I'm not surprised that Joe Cole writes like an eight-year-old but it still made me cringe a bit.

I like jam. I also like toast. They are really good and tasty.

Ha!

He's a much better talker to be fair to him, you'd have thought somebody would give that a little spruce up!

• Like 1

I'm not surprised that Joe Cole writes like an eight-year-old but it still made me cringe a bit. 

so do a hell of a lot of us on here - so what's the problem - makes it easier to understand using plain simple 8 year old English! :P

"I love playing for this team. I get on with everyone."

Please like me. I have lots of friends.

I've actually just bookmarked it. I might slightly adapt it for a class of adult elementary English students I have. 

Â