Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Centre backs are usually coming into their prime at his age. Richards though has had the last three seasons off for various reasons, and has barely played the position of CB in his career which means he has never learned the craft of playing that position. It was a strange decision and a concern to me in the summer that we made this guy our number one CB and Captain of the team. I remember Gabby scoring a hat trick against Man City when Richards was playing centre back, and he looked very bad positionally back then and he doesn't appear to have corrected those problems with experience.

Those last few years in which he has barely played would normally have been when Centre Backs cut their teeth, gain the experience and iron out their faults. There is no doubt he has the physical attributes to play CB, but his lack of knowledge of playing the position has left his team mates exposed at times, which has probably contributed to nervousness running throughout the backline and in turn errors.

Do you think other clubs especially one managed by Big Sam, put in offers for players with no intention of actually signing them, with the intention of unsettling them?  Why else would anyone put in an offer for Richards?

He's one of the worst centre halves to play as a regular that I've seen in a long time, every bit as bad as someone like Clark. For all the criticism Clark gets (often justified) he has at least had prolonged spells in the team where he has played well, Richards has been utter, utter shite. No positional sense at all whatsoever and rarely takes responsibility. 

A bit of a conspiracy theory.

I swear the teams just above us are worried by us being below them and think that potentially with a few signings we could be a threat to their survival so are doing everything to prevent us signing anyone and at the same time looking for ways to unsettle us too. It's like every player we've been linked with has been poached at the last minute by Sunderland, Newcastle, Swansea or whoever. Probably isn't that of course but it does sometimes feel like it. Surely we can't all be scouting the exact same players every single time.

Such is the huge cash windfall they'll get by surviving It would in a way make financial sense for them to spend a few Million on a player just to keep him away from the teams below them even if they are not overly concerned if he plays or not... If he comes in and plays well win win if not they just move him on again but having the huge cash benefit of staying up!..Might cost them 5 to 10 million but that pales into insignificance against what they'll gain!

I remember thinking that Liverpool used to do this back in their heyday in the 70's when they were the dominant force. They would buy ridiculous amounts of players & in many cases never play them and often they would only take an interest in a player when they saw one of their close rivals was about to sign him, then that player would disappear into the abyss of their reserves not to be seen again! I'm sure they on occasion did it to prevent their rivals being able to compete. Better to leave a player to rot in their reserves than strengthen the opposition afterall!

Edited by danceoftheshamen
error

On 6/12/2015 at 17:27, sne said:

I asked around on a Fiorentina forum about their impressions of him and the response was that not very good at anything other than being athletic and that he's also tactically weak.

He also had a habit of running up and joining in attacks, but then just walking back when they lost the ball leaving them a man short in defense.

They also thought that he'd be more suited to the PL than Serie A, something i agree on.

Boy, were those Fiorentina fans right...

• Like 1

If we got 10million would be happy to see him leave but not that fussed if he does him,Okore,Lescott and Cissokho looked solid together against Baggies.

Edited by midian

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If they do come back in, it'll be for a figure of about £6m with some sort of bonus if they stay up.

we should ask for a bonus if they go down ;-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Selling the captain will really be a statement from the club.

that statement being "we recognise he is shite and we are trying to get him off our books"

• Like 2

Â