Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Hutton offers more of an attacking option than Richards - as you can't deny that the former puts himself in the right place attacking-wise.. just cocks up his passing/crossing.

Richards is useful to have against teams with lots of good attacking options, as he's better defensively and his poor positioning is a lot less costly than if he plays at CB. 

He's too much of a heavyweight to run up and down the flank. You could see he was saving himself the whole match. I think this is one of the things why Bacuna played in front of him. Together they are a very strong force on the right.

• Like 1

Hutton offers ZERO attacking options. A number of other teams have just let Hutton run down the wing knowing it will come to nothing.

It's of no surprise to me that we are unbeaten in 5 games and Alan Hutton hasn't featured in any of them.

I will say this, Richards in at RB turns the back line into a very solid unit, he just needs to calm down at times. Whether his legs can allow him to play there indefinitely is a different matter but even with Okore having an off day we still looked solid. We look far less fragile down the flanks and the CB partnership is working well and making far less mistakes. It's easy to say albion were crap yesterday but are leicester and Palace crap or have we just got better?!

I don't know what happened to him, he used to bomb up and down the right flank for City just a couple of years ago. Maybe he was right and he just can't physically do that anymore. You could tell he was holding back the whole match, he barely overlapped. He's still fast, but just over shorter distances and time now. 

On 24/01/2016 at 19:40, avfc1982am said:

I will say this, Richards in at RB turns the back line into a very solid unit, he just needs to calm down at times. Whether his legs can allow him to play there indefinitely is a different matter but even with Okore having an off day we still looked solid. We look far less fragile down the flanks and the CB partnership is working well and making far less mistakes. It's easy to say albion were crap yesterday but are leicester and Palace crap or have we just got better?!

His legs? He's 27 ffs. 

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:53, AVTuco said:

He's too much of a heavyweight to run up and down the flank. You could see he was saving himself the whole match. I think this is one of the things why Bacuna played in front of him. Together they are a very strong force on the right.

I was thinking exactly the same during the first Wycome game. 1st half he was up & down quite regularly. 2nd half, you could see that he didn't have it in him. He's filled out from his Man City days and looks heavier.

I've wondered whether he could do a "Sanchez" type of job for us, just in front of the back 4? I do think that in modern football, it is crucial to have attack minded full backs. With the best will in the world, I don't think that Richards could sustain that role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

His legs? He's 27 ffs. 

He's clearly not the same RB he was a few years ago. Injuries and his physique means he can't physically cope with the position at a high level anymore. It's easier for someone like Hutton who's probably 150 lbs soaking wet and barely ever injured. I'd still play an immobile Micah over him any day though.

59 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

I do think that in modern football, it is crucial to have attack minded full backs. With the best will in the world, I don't think that Richards could sustain that role.

It's more crucial to have fullbacks that can defend and are not a complete liability. Being able to attack is useful but if they are constantly costing us goals then it's not worth it. Richards at fullback does make us more solid.

I'd like to see him given a go up front. I genuinely don't see how he can be less effective than what we have: yes his movement etc would be rubbish, but I could picture him doing what Traore does (albeit with less skill) and lets face it only one of those daft runs would have to come off.  Nothing to lose.

(Contender for silliest yet genuine Post of the week ?)

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

His legs? He's 27 ffs. 

He has also spent a good few seasons picking up injuries including this season FFS!  What has age got to do with it?

Ankle/Foot Injury Aston Villa Injuries 2016 January 9th
Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2014 March 12th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2013 December 10th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2013 August 15th
Cartilage Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2012 October 27th
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester City Injuries 2012 August 4th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2012 April 20th
Head Injury Manchester City Injuries 2012 March 31st
Knock Manchester City Injuries 2012 February 29th
Knock Manchester City Injuries 2012 February 22nd
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2012 January 16th
Calf/Shin Injury Manchester City Injuries 2011 December 21st
Calf/Shin Injury Manchester City Injuries 2011 December 5th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2011 September 1st
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2011 May 26th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2011 March 25th
Calf Muscle Strain Manchester City Injuries 2011 February 24th
Concussion Manchester City Injuries 2011 February 3rd
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester City Injuries 2011 February 1st
Back Injury Manchester City Injuries 2011 January 14th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2010 September 23rd
Virus Manchester City Injuries 2010 August 29th
Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2010 April 10th
Calf Muscle Strain Manchester City Injuries 2010 January 31st
Groin Strain Manchester City Injuries 2010 January 2nd
Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2009 December 5th
Shoulder Injury Manchester City Injuries 2009 September 20th
Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2009 April 25th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2009 March 1st
Ankle/Foot Injury Manchester City Injuries 2009 February 7th
Hamstring Injury Manchester City Injuries 2008 December 26th
Sprained Ankle Manchester City Injuries 2008 November 30th
Sprained Ankle Manchester City Injuries 2008 October 20th
Shoulder Injury Manchester City Injuries 2008 August 31st
Concussion Manchester City Injuries 2008 August 24th
Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2008 February 28th
Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2007 November 2nd
Calf Muscle Strain Manchester City Injuries 2007 March 30th
Hip/Thigh Injury Manchester City Injuries 2006 December 15th
Calf Muscle Strain Manchester City Injuries 2006 October 13th
Knee Injury Manchester City Injuries 2006 February 24th

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

I'd like to see him given a go up front. I genuinely don't see how he can be less effective than what we have: yes his movement etc would be rubbish, but I could picture him doing what Traore does (albeit with less skill) and lets face it only one of those daft runs would have to come off.  Nothing to lose.

(Contender for silliest yet genuine Post of the week ?)

Even more ridiculous, I found myself musing the same thing about a week ago.  I think what that means is that we are nothing short of desperate for something different up front.  Eric Black maybe?  Remi still looks fit.  I literally went through the entire roster, thinking "what about him?"  Richards was less silly than most.

10 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

It's more crucial to have fullbacks that can defend and are not a complete liability. Being able to attack is useful but if they are constantly costing us goals then it's not worth it. Richards at fullback does make us more solid.

In that case we need to go 4-4-2 then.

Currently, playing 1 up top is seeing the lone striker continually isolated. On top of that, we have three midfielders who aren't attack minded. This left Gil & Jordan A-One of whom was normally the one with the ball when we got into the opponents half.

Last season, we went with the more adventurous RB of Bacuna because of his offensive play-When Hutton returned, we were more solid defensively but lacked something going forward.

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

If he hasn't got the legs to play RB, then he's got almost nothing to offer us at all. 

but you moaned all season he should be played right back, now when its proven he cant physically play right back you moan about him again ;)

Â