Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Think Crespo will be another Luna tbh, not expecting much from him at all.

Contrary to popular belief we won I think 6 games with Bacuna at RB with him of course setting up goals so I don't see the big crisis if he continues at RB.

Yes he has his poor games but we could spend 10m on an RB and could still have the same problems as we've seen with most of our Left backs in last 5 years.

Bacuna is better suited further up field to effect the game, he can cover RB but you can see it's not really his best position.

It's fine having 1/2 utility players in a Squad but that's why they're utility/squad players...these are average players who operate in 2/3 positions & don't excel in specific roles. play players in their best positions, square pegs round holes ect

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why the notion that Bacuna's threat will increase playing in midfield continues. Has there ever been one game that attests to this? I haven't watched our preseason games but by most accounts his end-product has been awful on the wing.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why the notion that Bacuna's threat will increase playing in midfield continues. Has there ever been one game that attests to this? I haven't watched our preseason games but by most accounts his end-product has been awful on the wing.

well his defending ability is certainly of a much lower level than his attacking. I don't understand people picking him in lineups over Hutton at RB when we already look shaky.

Aston Villa € 53.9m

French midfielder Jordan Veretout from Nantes for a fee of 9.9m; Beninese forward Rudy Gestede from Blackburn Rovers for a fee of 8.5m; Ghanaian forward Jordan Ayew from Lorient for a fee of 12m; French defender Jordan Amavi from Nice for a fee of 11m; Senegalese midfielder Idrissa Gueye from Lille for a fee of 9m; Goalkeeper Mark Bunn on a free transfer from Norwich City; Defender Micah Richards on a free transfer from Manchester City; Midfielder Scott Sinclair from Manchester City for a fee of 3.5m.

----------------------------------------

Fourth biggest spenders.

Edited by supernova26

Aston Villa € 53.9m

French midfielder Jordan Veretout from Nantes for a fee of 9.9m; Beninese forward Rudy Gestede from Blackburn Rovers for a fee of 8.5m; Ghanaian forward Jordan Ayew from Lorient for a fee of 12m; French defender Jordan Amavi from Nice for a fee of 11m; Senegalese midfielder Idrissa Gueye from Lille for a fee of 9m; Goalkeeper Mark Bunn on a free transfer from Norwich City; Defender Micah Richards on a free transfer from Manchester City; Midfielder Scott Sinclair from Manchester City for a fee of 3.5m.

----------------------------------------

Fourth biggest spenders.

Gross not net.

• Like 2

Contrary to popular belief we won I think 6 games with Bacuna at RB with him of course setting up goals so I don't see the big crisis if he continues at RB.

Yes he has his poor games but we could spend 10m on an RB and could still have the same problems as we've seen with most of our Left backs in last 5 years.

So because he is Spanish cheap and has a beard he is another Luna?

So if he was English cheap and clean shaven he would be another Bennett?

Will Amavi be another Cissokho?

And so on..

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Nah it's just because after he left Sevilla he's played for lower ranked teams, indeed Cordoba were beyond hopeless last season. Plenty of good Spanish players get released and then work themselves back up so were teams like Valencia, Villareal and Malaga not interested, he was cheap enough.

In any case he's cover and will play the odd game here or there so not a major issue.

lol...  Writing Crespo off and he hasn't kicked a ball for us more than 10 minutes in a preseason game...  Typical VillaTalk...

Adapting to the English game will take some time.  One thing that stuck out to me about him during his very very brief cameo for us, was that he muscled off the ball twice by an aggressive Forest player and Crespo gave up thinking he'd been fouled.  In Spain, they would have been called fouls, but not in England.  He'll hopefully adapt quickly, but  he might take a while to adjust.  Arsene Wenger has stated many times that it takes around a year for foreign players to fully adapt to English football, both on and off the field.  Writing off any of our new signings at this stage is incredibly stupid.

He seems to be the opposite of Luna if anything  - stays at the back, defends, doesn't like going forward. 

I'd be happy with Lennon for £5m, if you consider what we've spent on relative unknowns. I think he's decent enough, his end product has always been suspect, but I think he'll get enough crosses in, and create enough to justify him playing. Just adds more depth and versatility to our midfield.

I'd still be happy if we were linked to a quality CB (other than lescott)... But perhaps that won't happen now.

Edited by alreadyexists

IMO we need to improve the following positions: CB, ST, GK, RM, RB (in that order of priority)

If we can at least get a new CB and ST in this window I will be happy. We can re-evaluate the requirements in January depending on how the guys have been settling in/performing.

That said, if we can pick Lennon up for £5m we would be mad not to. I would much prefer him to N'Zogbia plus hes home grown and has prem experience.

CB: Balanta would be an amazing coup but I cant see us getting him. Still want Nkoulou but havent seen any links. If its a choice of Lescott or nothing then I would take Lescott in for sure. A fit Lescott would make you feel more confident than most of our CB's. Again, hes home grown, prem experience, chips in with a few goals and the guys will learn from him. Richards knows him well too so it would certainly help make his transition to CB a little smoother.

ST: I think the Adebayor deal is dead and the club havent allocated the No10 shirt to anyone so it looks like there is a good chance an attacking player will still be brought in. Would love that to be Embolo or Oulare but I have faith in the scouting teams dealings so I will get behind whoever it is.

GK: As i've said before, I like Guzan but only because hes a good shot stopper. For me he isn't vocal enough and doesnt command/organise his defence so we could definately improve on him.

RM: Already mentioned Lennon but like the look of Traore as well so wouldnt mind either. Gil played there on his debut and looked amazing. I like Bacuna in that position as well and think that he would get a fair number of assists if Gestede is the one waiting on his crosses.

RB: Hutton has been excellent since he left the bomb squad and dedicated himself and we have to give Crespo a chance before we panic so unless we are going to spend another £10m on a player I think we are ok there for now. We can always address it in January if its not working out.

One day to go, UTV!!!!!

• Like 1

lol... Writing Crespo off and he hasn't kicked a ball for us more than 10 minutes in a preseason game... Typical VillaTalk...

Adapting to the English game will take some time. One thing that stuck out to me about him during his very very brief cameo for us, was that he muscled off the ball twice by an aggressive Forest player and Crespo gave up thinking he'd been fouled. In Spain, they would have been called fouls, but not in England. He'll hopefully adapt quickly, but he might take a while to adjust. Arsene Wenger has stated many times that it takes around a year for foreign players to fully adapt to English football, both on and off the field. Writing off any of our new signings at this stage is incredibly stupid.

It's no more stupid than thinking a load of signings that we know very little about are going to have us comfortably top 10 and so on.

If I'd have said Crespo would be a success. You wouldn't have battered an eyelid. Yet my knowledge of him would be exactly the same.

People are allowed an opinion. By your logic, we should never be unconvinced by a link/signing. Something we both know happens regularly on villatalk.