Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Course I have but I have come to learn that even the best youth prospects rarely make it, you have to be extremely special to make it e.g. Grealish
But the point is that its plausible to believe a player won't be any good without it seeming like it's an overly negative stance.
To be fair to SGC, if he's decided a youth player won't make it, he's probably seen the player play a fair bit.

Don't get me wrong, SGC makes some hilarious predictions sometimes (I've ribbed him for it several times) but at least he makes them havign seen that player play for us on numerous occasions.

I would imagine you, and most Villa fans (myself included) have barely seen Crespo play, if at all.

So I think the point SGC was trying to make was why don't we wait and see how the player plays for us, rather than writing him off before he's kicked a ball (competitively) in this country.

It is possible to make a judgement of something without seeing it tho. Not always the best way granted but we do it all the time, with TV, films, food etc. Why does it have to be any different with Football players.

I've read up on him, his career doesn't strike me as one of a player that will do overly well here. That's not to say I'm right or wrong, just like we're not always right with films etc.

It's just natural human opinion if you ask me, to make a judgement on something.

I think hel be shit. Just like some thought sherwood would be - ironically based on a decent stint at spurs.

Problem is that isn't a judgment it's a guess.

As for books I think there is a phrase about books and covers....

People made judgements on Sherwood based on what they'd seen of him at Spurs so very different to judging a player you've not seen.

If we had gone down last season would Benteke have been a bad player?

Course I have but I have come to learn that even the best youth prospects rarely make it, you have to be extremely special to make it e.g. Grealish
But the point is that its plausible to believe a player won't be any good without it seeming like it's an overly negative stance.
To be fair to SGC, if he's decided a youth player won't make it, he's probably seen the player play a fair bit.

Don't get me wrong, SGC makes some hilarious predictions sometimes (I've ribbed him for it several times) but at least he makes them havign seen that player play for us on numerous occasions.

I would imagine you, and most Villa fans (myself included) have barely seen Crespo play, if at all.

So I think the point SGC was trying to make was why don't we wait and see how the player plays for us, rather than writing him off before he's kicked a ball (competitively) in this country.

It is possible to make a judgement of something without seeing it tho. Not always the best way granted but we do it all the time, with TV, films, food etc. Why does it have to be any different with Football players.

I've read up on him, his career doesn't strike me as one of a player that will do overly well here. That's not to say I'm right or wrong, just like we're not always right with films etc.

It's just natural human opinion if you ask me, to make a judgement on something.

I think hel be shit. Just like some thought sherwood would be - ironically based on a decent stint at spurs.

Problem is that isn't a judgment it's a guess.

As for books I think there is a phrase about books and covers....

People made judgements on Sherwood based on what they'd seen of him at Spurs so very different to judging a player you've not seen.

If we had gone down last season would Benteke have been a bad player?

Yeah but that phrase doesn't stop us from judging books does it.

Yes people had seen sherwood and people came up with judgements completely against what he showed at Tottenham.

No benteke wouldn't have been a bad player had we gone down but I'm not basing my judgement solely on Crespo being relegated with cordoba.

Again, if I was saying Veretout is going to be a success then I'm not sure people would have too much to say. Yet I've never seen him either so it's equally as wild to claim such.

Didn't know where else to put this:

http://www.90min.com/posts/2423605-predicting-how-the-final-2015-16-premier-league-table-will-look?a_aid=35709

They predict us to finish 18th.

There's no getting away from the fact that 2015/16 will be a long, hard season for Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa. The club has been busy over the summer, but a lot of inexperienced talent and relative unknowns have arrived when they really needed a number of proven battlers.

Villa fans will pray that things fall nicely into place as happened at Southampton 12 months ago, although they could easily find themselves relegated for the first time in nearly 30 years.

What a stupid article. Not saying we're definitely going to do well but I'm much happier with really highly rated players like Amavi, Gueye and Veretout than overrated PL plodders like Huddlestone.

Highly rated players of which 99% of people have never heard of in a tin pot league that is the equivalent of the championship bar one or two teams.

No one whether Villa fans or no nothing journalists can predict how well or badly we will do this year as our team now is a complete unknown so pointless predicting.

Some of the players we've brought in have been targeted by bigger sides than ourselves, which are full internationals and in the case of the younger players, they've played enough to show that they have got good experience both in domestic and European competitions (even if the French league is considered inferior to the PL).

They have "potential" but players like Amavi and Veretout are very highly regarded and could break into their national side. I don't think they're complete unknowns, it's just that journalists have a narrow minded view when it comes to players from other leagues. I don't think there will be many dull moments at VP this season.

http://www.90min.com/posts/2423605-predicting-how-the-final-2015-16-premier-league-table-will-look?a_aid=35709

There's no getting away from the fact that 2015/16 will be a long, hard season for Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa. The club has been busy over the summer, but a lot of inexperienced talent and relative unknowns have arrived when they really needed a number of proven battlers.

Villa fans will pray that things fall nicely into place as happened at Southampton 12 months ago, although they could easily find themselves relegated for the first time in nearly 30 years.

What a stupid article. Not saying we're definitely going to do well but I'm much happier with really highly rated players like Amavi, Gueye and Veretout than overrated PL plodders like Huddlestone.

I am actually glas they are unknowns as makes it harder for oppisition sides

I think we've done what we needed to do up top. Replace benteke with a whole new attack that won't be lost when they realise the one dimension they had has gone.

It's in defence im really really worried. Don't think we've actually improved the defence at all.

There's no getting away from the fact that 2015/16 will be a long, hard season for Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa. The club has been busy over the summer, but a lot of inexperienced talent and relative unknowns have arrived when they really needed a number of proven battlers.

Villa fans will pray that things fall nicely into place as happened at Southampton 12 months ago, although they could easily find themselves relegated for the first time in nearly 30 years.

Highly rated players of which 99% of people have never heard of in a tin pot league that is the equivalent of the championship bar one or two teams.

No one whether Villa fans or no nothing journalists can predict how well or badly we will do this year as our team now is a complete unknown so pointless predicting.

Ligue 1 is hardly a "tin pot league". Players like Gueye, Ayew, Veretout and Amavi are blatantly not Championship standard.

I think we've done what we needed to do up top. Replace benteke with a whole new attack that won't be lost when they realise the one dimension they had has gone.

It's in defence im really really worried. Don't think we've actually improved the defence at all.

I think most people will agree that Amavi looks a great update at LB. A position we have struggled with for seasons.

I think most people will agree that Amavi looks a great update at LB. A position we have struggled with for seasons.

Yeah I agree with that but strong defences Arnet built from left back. Move richards to rb and buy a cb il be much happier but think richards is there for the season.

Yeah but that phrase doesn't stop us from judging books does it.

Yes people had seen sherwood and people came up with judgements completely against what he showed at Tottenham.

No benteke wouldn't have been a bad player had we gone down but I'm not basing my judgement solely on Crespo being relegated with cordoba.

Again, if I was saying Veretout is going to be a success then I'm not sure people would have too much to say. Yet I've never seen him either so it's equally as wild to claim such.

No it doesn't, it just makes us foolish when we do :)

What else are you basing your view on Crespo on then? That is a genuine question.

If you were saying Veretout was going to be a success then I think people would have quite a lot to say, mostly expressing their surprise :)

Personally I'm not going to say any player is going to be a success or failure if I've not seen them play and/or they are coming from a league in another country.

I get frustrated with people making assessments on players after a handful of games so when I see people making assessments (positive or negative) of players before they've started a competitive game in this country I struggle to comprehend it.

I've no idea how any of our signings play, bar Gestede. In some sense it is exciting but it will take time for them to adjust to the league and gel as a team, time which, frankly, we don't have as we have a good run of games to put some distance between ourselves and the other relegation fodder before that shite run mid-season.

In my opinion there is no point in even hazarding a guess at whether a player will succeed or not at Villa, or any other club for that matter.

Over the years weve had many "Proven, Big Money signings that on-paper couldn't fail"  EG: Collymore, Baros etc............  Also weve had many players signed that have "raised eyebrows" that have gone onto be fans favourites and top servants to the club "Alan Wright, Ian Taylor, Shaun Teale, Gareth Southgate and of the current crop the Ashley Westwoods etc..............

IMO what im trying to say you can come with the best reputation in the world and be shit, or come with no reputation and be a hit...............

there is not hard and fast ruling.............. a player has to fit in and be lucky............. that doesn't always happen regardless of a players track record............

• Like 1

Well at least you admit that your judgement of Crespo is wild ;)

Of course BOF. Nothing wrong with a wild claim.

FWIW; and I admit to basing this on very little, so it is a guess, but; I have a feeling that Crespo and Ayew will not be setting our team alight this season.  I expect Crespo to play third fiddle to Hutton and Bacuna, and I expect Ayew to be totally out-performed by Gestede.

there is not hard and fast ruling.............. a player has to fit in and be lucky............. that doesn't always happen regardless of a players track record............

Mental strength plays a big part in this. I believe that a lot of the players signed under Lambert for example were/are mentally weak. The likes of Lowton, Bennett, Luna, Cissokho (so mostly his full backs!) and to a lesser degree even some of his better signings in Westwood and Okore. Weimann is another who fits this mould. You got the impression that they were ready to crumble at any moment.

I don't believe Sherwood would suffer players like that. Hence the "losers" out comment.

If they are good players and mentally tough, the odds are in their favour. Do you see Gueye suffering from confidence for example?

• Like 1

I see alot of posts about needing additional players still.  I agree...  still need a RW and RB in my book. 

I'm not mentioning CB because it appears we have enough in sheer numbers (Richards, Okore, Clark, Baker, Senderos).  I know many ppl don't rate them- but it appears that TS considers this settled (just my opinion).  I think we will be ok at CB this season.

Question...  if Gardner goes out on loan- its being mentioned back to Forest- do people think we will need another CM?  If we play a midfield 3, we really only have 4-5 players for these positions if Gardner leaves.  just curious.

UTV