Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I think they'll all hit the ground running. Amavi needs to work on his fitness a bit, but he even insinuates in an interview in his thread that training at Nice was more "tactics" where as under Sherwood it's fitness, fitness and more fitness with no time for a breather. So i think they will all do well. Sherwood is clearly buying in players that based on what he's seen of them will fit his philosophy and tactics for the season.

That's a little disconcerting.
Very!

The translation I read said "pressing, pressing, pressing" which implies a different tactic as opposed to none at all. That's just the nature of the league.

Yeah but that's not a net spend is it?

How much have we spent compared to collected? anyone done the math?

Out

Benteke - £32.5m

Snake - £8m

Weimann - £2.5m

Lowton -£1m

Sylla - £1.5m

Total - £45.5m

In

Gueye - £8m

Amavi - £9m

Ayew - £9m

Total - £26m

Obviously figures are estimates but that should gives us about £19m to play just before we break even.

Have I missed anyone?

Salary-wise, including Sinclair, my stab in the dark from that is that we're 10k a week better off salary-wise, so about break-even minus the ones who've left, like Vlaar, Bent (!) etc.

Conclusion: room for some good signings, considering the extra tele money.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

We are paying larger fees for better quality players.

All the money brought in by player sales plus £10/20m as required will be available for Sherwood to spend this window or next,

More players will be going out on loan or permanently this window and next; the players we are buying make some of the ones we have look a little inadequate, and the links to further players would suggest that Sherwood thinks the same.

We need another striker, assuming we get Ayew. We need an attacking mid.

We will see some kids get their chance, Grealish obviously, Robinson probably, at least.

It is out with the old guard, in with the new.

Bring it on.

• Like 4

We really did send all of ours scouts to France last season, didn't we?

It's either this, or the media have seen us go after a couple of Ligue 1 players and are now linking everyone on the market.

Don't think this is a bad idea though, a lot of quality players in France and also great value. Ligue 1 and Eredivise are two very strong leagues for talent outside of the big 4 of Spain, Italy, Germany and England.

the only concern I have is it hasn't served Newcastle too well recently. Arsenal always have done well from there but is that because of Arsene connections and Arsenals status

Fair call on Newcastle, but for me they seem to be wildly inconsistent rather then absolutely dire. Since coming back from championship there league finishes have been 12, 5, 16, 10, 15.(which averages out to approx. an 11th placed finish each year). That's not too bad in the grand scheme of things, however the fact the got dropped to champ for 2010, and were very lucky not to go again this year (you had one job Carver...), shows that it has its flaws. Our average finish over the same period is approx 14th. If it gets us to an 11th placed finish, then that is a great platform to further build from.

The players are there, talent is talent no matter what country you play in. I think it will come down to Sherwood, how he sets us up, how he integrates these players and how he manages the team week in week out that will matter. Also not having Mike Ashley is a big tick in our favour.

As with all things though it is a as a part of a greater plan that it will succeed. We are unlikely to shot up the table by solely buying Ligue 1 players, we are unlikely to shoot up the table solely buying La Liga players, we are (very) unlikely to shoot up the table by buying a-league players (did I mention very?) but combining great signings from a wide variety of leagues will yeild the best long term results. If Tim finds this lot of players in Ligue 1 this window so be it, but I doubt it means that is the only place we look... It comes down to value for money, and these leagues are more likely to have it then the more popular/marketable/profitable leagues. Also helps that there is no Levy's in France, although it looks like Lorient's chairman could be a long lost cousin from there behaviour ..... :)

We really did send all of ours scouts to France last season, didn't we?

It's either this, or the media have seen us go after a couple of Ligue 1 players and are now linking everyone on the market.

Don't think this is a bad idea though, a lot of quality players in France and also great value. Ligue 1 and Eredivise are two very strong leagues for talent outside of the big 4 of Spain, Italy, Germany and England.

the only concern I have is it hasn't served Newcastle too well recently. Arsenal always have done well from there but is that because of Arsene connections and Arsenals status

Fair call on Newcastle, but for me they seem to be wildly inconsistent rather then absolutely dire. Since coming back from championship there league finishes have been 12, 5, 16, 10, 15.(which averages out to approx. an 11th placed finish each year).

Also worth mentioning they were playing well and sitting in 10th place before Pardew returned to Crystal Palace last year

Alan Nixon saying we are looking to bring in a defender before letting Baker leave

Depends what we are looking for.

For a backup player I have my doubts we could find better for the price we would get.

However if our goal is to invest on top of the money generated from his sale for someone who will get/push for a 1st team spot more then Baker then it's not a decent call. If we keep Senderos and he stays fit then his skill and experience make for a great back up CB, he bossed it for us when fit and playing. His gamesmanship with Baleotelli against the pool was great, if not Illegal. Also brought the best out of Baker, and I reckon would do similar to other 2nd choice players.