Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

If Ayew comes in today for £9.5m, that'll push us over £30m for a season for the fourth time in our history and make it the third time we've spent more than £30m in a summer. We've some way to go in order to catch 2008/09's £48m+, but I don't think Ayew will be the last one in.

• Like 3

Given a straight choice between Adebayor and Austin, I'd prefer Adebayor.

I think that half of Austins goals last season were penalties, making his total from open play around 7. This does not justify the price tag or wage that is being demanded.

Adebayor would slot into the Benteke role far easier and given the way we played to Bentekes strengths last year, I would envisage a similar return from Adebayor this time around. He climbs high and would revel in the crosses played in. He is mobile and creates his own goals as well, just like Benteke does.

Until  we know how TS plans to line up and how he intends to play, it is hard to speculate on what player would be more suited.

• Like 2

Yeah but that's not a net spend is it?

How much have we spent compared to collected?  anyone done the math?

There's no such thing as net spend. It was invented by the premier league to give fans something to argue about.

If Ayew comes in today for £9.5m, that'll push us over £30m for a season for the fourth time in our history and make it the third time we've spent more than £30m in a summer. We've some way to go in order to catch 2008/09's £48m+, but I don't think Ayew will be the last one in.

I don't I think this is going to be the record breaking window for us. Tim said at the end of last season that randy is going to spend and spend big! £50-60m will be my guess,and before anyone says no chance,let me add that will be £15-20m out of Villas/Randys pocket, to try and rebuild and undo all the crap that has happened before, with a staff team that seems to no what they are doing,and guide Randy in the right way to keep this club in the prem and not just scrape through but compete,and to make sure we get the TV money. Like Tim said he has to

I think Richards has been brought in to replace Vlaar.

My bet is he will be new club captain leading from the centre half position. If we are adding any more defenders it will be at right back... Would absolutely love to welcome Walker back.

Assuming the Ayew deal goes through, if we then brought in Walker, Cambiasso, Phillips and Adebayor I'd say that's a decent team.

I'd be more than happy with that.

I just wonder whether you'd get more games out of Richards in the centre, than you would him playing RB? Especially with the demands placed on going forward. This may explain the apparent decision not to play him RB. We still need to give him 10 odd games there before worrying. Yes it would probably be preferable to play him RB but is there a reason for not doing so?

Priority for me is a st, cm and a rw.

Think the defence will hold out and improve with better players ahead of them on the pitch.

We need more quality in central midfield, gueye, Westwood and Sanchez are all capable but we need another decent cm.

Right wing/midfield is an issue, bacuna isn't the answer Imo.

Looks like we've landed ayew, but I would still argue the need for a goal scorer. Adebayor could be enough on a short term deal.

I'd tend to agree with you though I'd take Bacuna over Sinclair any day of the week, at least Bacuna looks up, is always available and he does have quality, even if this pre-season he's looked under par. Sinclair is clearly a forward with very little winger qualities, I would bring in someone who is quick, can cross and use both feet. I'd take a passer over a finisher as a wide player because our attacks get up the pitch quickly but not into the box, Amavi did more in attack than Sinclair did.

A fast striker who can play on the shoulder of the defender is imperative, with Kozak we have the smart link up man, he might be replaced in the future but he's here for now, also I like the look of Robinson who seems to like getting involved everywhere, he's not as tall/strong as Kozak but he does have similar intelligence in keeping play moving.

Sellars makes me laugh, that guy just sees a gap and goes. Unlike Gabby he has decent footwork too, very interesting.

I'm still of the opinion that we need a strong central midfielder who can break up plays and play Westwoods role behind the half way line, at least then Weswood moves up and has to prove himself. Sanchez wants to be Makalele but he dribbles and looks forward too often, I can't see him being a viable CDM, hope i'm wrong though.

I still worry about defence though I can't see us buying anyone, I'd be looking at some oldie who wants a final push. We need someone with top quality positioning and organisation even if they're slower than Barry :)

• Like 1

Which still means zero net spend though.

It's worlds away from 2008/2009.

• Like 2

A concern for me is Sherwood seems to really rate/get on well with Hutton.

Why would that be a concern? Hutton was good for most of last season. He was our best player for the first few months.

Across the whole season he was our most creative player and it said more about him as a footballer understanding the game than his perceived lack of quality. Without him we'd have gone down, it's as simple as that. When the team lacked confidence Hutton pushed us on, all season, his dribbling and drive is still better than some of our midfielders.

Plus he's more than a body in defence.

If he's replaced by someone better but stays at the club that's a great situation, a squad player like Hutton would show we've come a long way. He's not a top player but he's certainly not a liability. 

• Like 1

How much have we spent compared to collected? anyone done the math?

Out

Benteke - £32.5m

Snake - £8m

Weimann - £2.5m

Lowton -£1m

Sylla - £1.5m

Total - £45.5m

In

Gueye - £8m

Amavi - £9m

Ayew - £9m

Total - £26m

Obviously figures are estimates but that should gives us about £19m to play just before we break even.

Have I missed anyone?

• Like 3

How much have we spent compared to collected? anyone done the math?

Out

Benteke - £32.5m

Snake - £8m

Weimann - £2.5m

Lowton -£1m

Sylla - £1.5m

Total - £45.5m

In

Gueye - £8m

Amavi - £9m

Ayew - £9m

Total - £26m

Obviously figures are estimates but that should gives us about £19m to play just before we break even.

Have I missed anyone?

£4m will go to Genk remember

Didn't say it was.

It's interesting to me though because from an outsiders point of view, Villa are a team that have sold big players this summer - our spending has hardly been reported at all. I think it says something about how much money there is in the game when we've spent some decent sums and yet it doesn't really feel like we've done anything. 

Priority for me is a st, cm and a rw.

Think the defence will hold out and improve with better players ahead of them on the pitch.

We need more quality in central midfield, gueye, Westwood and Sanchez are all capable but we need another decent cm.

Right wing/midfield is an issue, bacuna isn't the answer Imo.

Looks like we've landed ayew, but I would still argue the need for a goal scorer. Adebayor could be enough on a short term deal.

I agree.  In CM I think we need an old head. Someone with proven experience and stature who can shepherd the youngsters around him and maybe be captain? Cambiasso would fit the bill, but if not him someone of that ilk. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

In 2008/09, it was MON and possibly Faulkner making the decisions. This time around it is Rielley, Fox and TS. A far more professional and business like team.

Clearly, we are not going to see money ploughed into the club at the rate it was in 2008/09 but I'd wager that every penny bought in from sales would be made available to TS if he wants it. This will ultimately place the club in a strong and viable position, should a sale re-commence. It would also give us the potential of a fairly large war chest in January or even next summer.

As the dust is beginning to settle, it probably makes sense to have lost our 2 star players and then reinvest the money across the board to improve the overall quality of the team. If we speculate that Benteke would have scored 20 goals for us if he'd stayed, and we have a player who nets us 15 (or 2 players who net 25 between them) then we are better off. Over simplifying things, I know but in hindsight, we had become a 1 or 2 man team. Now we look to be shaping up as a half decent side across the park. I'm looking forward to the challenge next season.

• Like 1