Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Alan Nixon saying we are looking to bring in a defender before letting Baker leave

it would be a shame if we let him go but i think that the time is right for both parties, just not quite good enough for us, I remember seeing him for the reserves when he was 16 and i thought we had a real player on our hands, ah well

If Ayew comes in today for £9.5m, that'll push us over £30m for a season for the fourth time in our history and make it the third time we've spent more than £30m in a summer. We've some way to go in order to catch 2008/09's £48m+, but I don't think Ayew will be the last one in.

Which still means zero net spend though.

It's worlds away from 2008/2009.

Didn't say it was.

It's interesting to me though because from an outsiders point of view, Villa are a team that have sold big players this summer - our spending has hardly been reported at all. I think it says something about how much money there is in the game when we've spent some decent sums and yet it doesn't really feel like we've done anything.

Didn't say you did :)

As for our spending it's because it's not really big news and neither are we. If a team had spent what we've spent net then the press would be taking note but not when the spend is financed by player sales.

Yes we've spent a bit but in reality we haven't done anything because there is no net investment.

• Like 1

Yeah but that's not a net spend is it?

How much have we spent compared to collected?  anyone done the math?

There's no such thing as net spend. It was invented by the premier league to give fans something to argue about.

think it was actually by Liverpool fans as to why Rafa never won the league

nobody cared about net spend until then

• Like 1

Yeah but that's not a net spend is it?

How much have we spent compared to collected? anyone done the math?

There's no such thing as net spend. It was invented by the premier league to give fans something to argue about.

think it was actually by Liverpool fans as to why Rafa never won the league

nobody cared about net spend until then

Then further brought to the attention to justify why Carroll wasn't a bad signing. 'We sold Torres for 50m."

I think Baker will be a superb championship defender.  I'd like to keep him in the squad but I could understand it if he wants to be playing regular first team football.

He has a heart like a lion, but his defending, to me, always looks a bit last ditch, all or nothing. I think he looks like a defender from yesteryear. Retro, you might say.

• Like 2

OK I am sat here on a wet Sunday speculating.  A lot has been said about how the team has lost its spine of Vlaar, Delph and Benteke.  As good as that spine was they have thus far won very little in the game, along with most players in our squad.  Now Sherwood has continuously stressed the importance of finding a "winning mentality" next season.  IF (and it’s a big if I accept) we could get Adebayor and Cambiasso we will have effectively replaced our spine with three players – Richards, Cambiasso and Adebayor – who have each won league titles and cups and who certainly have a winning mentality. Then around them we are introducing more young players who have bags of ability and potential.  It just strikes me that this, whether by design or accident, could give us a great blend of youth and experience running from back to front.  So Tim, make it happen, convince Cambiasso not to retire and get Adebayor in.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

I think Baker will be a superb championship defender. I'd like to keep him in the squad but I could understand it if he wants to be playing regular first team football.

He has a heart like a lion, but his defending, to me, always looks a bit last ditch, all or nothing. I think he looks like a defender from yesteryear. Retro, you might say.

I thought we were selling him, now your saying he is coming back in a big way?

• Like 1

I think Baker will be a superb championship defender. I'd like to keep him in the squad but I could understand it if he wants to be playing regular first team football.

He's a reaction defender, doesn't really read the game all that well but has the ability to get himself out of trouble with his "all on the line" approach

Edited by mightysasquatch

He's a reaction defender, doesn't really read the game all that well but has the ability to get himself out of trouble with his "all on the line" approach

He will put in last ditch tackles and throw himself in front on the ball and it looks great problem is he has to do this as his positioning and reading of the game is limited .

It's interesting to see how lopsided we are as a squad when you look at our sales and players we want to sell.

Benteke top 6 side , Snake top 4 side then you have Luna gone Spanish 2nd division ,Bent /Wiemann/ Lowton championship.

I suspect the rest we want to get rid of there will be very little interest in the Prem League.

• Like 4

And his value will have risen.

And his value will have risen.

They don't make CB's like the used too!

OK I am sat here on a wet Sunday speculating. A lot has been said about how the team has lost its spine of Vlaar, Delph and Benteke. As good as that spine was they have thus far won very little in the game, along with most players in our squad. Now Sherwood has continuously stressed the importance of finding a "winning mentality" next season. IF (and it’s a big if I accept) we could get Adebayor and Cambiasso we will have effectively replaced our spine with three players – Richards, Cambiasso and Adebayor – who have each won league titles and cups and who certainly have a winning mentality. Then around them we are introducing more young players who have bags of ability and potential. It just strikes me that this, whether by design or accident, could give us a great blend of youth and experience running from back to front. So Tim, make it happen, convince Cambiasso not to retire and get Adebayor in.

A lot of people seem to think winning a lot of trophies is the same as a winning mentality.

Attitude is not the same as ability. Clark for example has a winning mentality because he'll do whatever he can in a game and will throw head and feet in front of the ball if the situation calls for it. He hasn't got any silverware to show for it though.

Edited by AXD
  • Like 1

He will put in last ditch tackles and throw himself in front on the ball and it looks great problem is he has to do this as his positioning and reading of the game is limited .

It's interesting to see how lopsided we are as a squad when you look at our sales and players we want to sell.

Benteke top 6 side , Snake top 4 side then you have Luna gone Spanish 2nd division ,Bent /Wiemann/ Lowton championship.

I suspect the rest we want to get rid of there will be very little interest in the Prem League.

Good post. We had one or two very good players, a few average and the rest were quite poor. I'd rather have a whole squad of good and average players that can improve without the need for a superstar surrounded by shit and baling us out each week.

This is what Sherwood is trying to create it seems.

OK I am sat here on a wet Sunday speculating. A lot has been said about how the team has lost its spine of Vlaar, Delph and Benteke. As good as that spine was they have thus far won very little in the game, along with most players in our squad. Now Sherwood has continuously stressed the importance of finding a "winning mentality" next season. IF (and it’s a big if I accept) we could get Adebayor and Cambiasso we will have effectively replaced our spine with three players – Richards, Cambiasso and Adebayor – who have each won league titles and cups and who certainly have a winning mentality. Then around them we are introducing more young players who have bags of ability and potential. It just strikes me that this, whether by design or accident, could give us a great blend of youth and experience running from back to front. So Tim, make it happen, convince Cambiasso not to retire and get Adebayor in.

A lot of people seem to think winning a lot of trophies is the same as a winning mentality.

Attitude is not the same as ability. Clark for example has a winning mentality because he'll do whatever he can in a game and will throw graf and Gert in front of the ball if the situation calls for it. He hasn't got any silverware to show for it though.

agreed, they are two entirely different things but i still think he makes some good points and i agree with the vast majority of his post, I think Cambiasso and Adebayor would make a big difference to our team but whether they'd come here is another matter, I'd love either

• Like 1

Hardly watched any footy last year, did Cambiasso actually play well for Leicester?

Not that I personally watched him that much but he was their player of the season so must have been fairly good.

Edited by dounavilla

Attitude is not the same as ability. Clark for example has a winning mentality because he'll do whatever he can in a game and will throw graf and Gert in front of the ball if the situation calls for it. He hasn't got any silverware to show for it though.

agreed, they are two entirely different things but i still think he makes some good points and i agree with the vast majority of his post, I think Cambiasso and Adebayor would make a big difference to our team but whether they'd come here is another matter, I'd love either

I don’t disagree, Clark has tremendous desire and commitment and will win duals etc., but to me a winning mentality is about inner confidence and arrogance; an expectation that we will win even when up against good sides. Perhaps, as you suggest, some people just have it but there is no doubt that the experience of wining breeds it, just as the experience of loosing destroys it.  Say what you will, but the three players I mentioned have all tended to play in winning sides and if they were to come I hope they would inject some of that confidence, belief and arrogance into the team.  My main point is that the spine would look pretty strong if we got those players and I like the blend of experience and youth.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

I don’t disagree, Clark has tremendous desire and commitment and will win duals etc., but to me a winning mentality is about inner confidence and arrogance; an expectation that we will win even when up against good sides. Perhaps, as you suggest, some people just have it but there is no doubt that the experience of wining breeds it, just as the experience of loosing destroys it.  Say what you will, but the three players I mentioned have all tended to play in winning sides and if they were to come I hope they would inject some of that confidence, belief and arrogance into the team.  My main point is that the spine would look pretty strong if we got those players and I like the blend of experience and youth.

agreed entirely

• Like 1