Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I agree with a lot of what's been said. Replacing Benteke with someone who can bang them in is a priority, but the priority should be looking at the squad as a whole, with money we haven't enjoyed for some time.

We could go out and spent 32 mil on another world class striker, much like you could sprinkle glitter on a turd..

• Like 3

I'll be disappointed if we don't have a decent money striker signed by this time next week. The club must have known benteke was going, they knew the release clause so I hope we've been working on replacements for quite some time. We should be ready to bring them in soon.

Daz's original point is valid though. The logic that says "this one time we spent £7m on a striker and it worked out really well, therefore we can rely on it happening again to replace him" is about as sound as the other logic we use on here regarding a hesitancy to bring in Eastern European players because this one time we bought a bad one.

We got very lucky with Benteke. Yes it might happen again but it would be incredibly lucky if it did. It is far more likely that we buy a mere mortal at that price. I thought the meaning behind his post was fairly obvious even though he set himself up for the 'but Benteke cost that much' retort.

We would be very lucky and that's why it's unlikely to happen. I would think that Tim would look to use the money to replace Benteke's goals, and more, across the whole team. That is certainly more probable.

We cannot be in a situation again where we are so reliant on one player.

Thanks bof for understanding the point there and explaining, others seem to have struggled and would rather post snappy one liners but once you replied we at last got a relevent comment out of him.

And yes I have to say we can't be reliant on one player like this again but I do seeing us needing to spend big to have some firepower up front and given the sales of benteke,delph, given and vlaar plus the salary they were on there is no reason the money shouldn't be available.if Tim has a hard on for someone go get them!

By the way I'm three years married today!

I think Rolan would be more likely to score regulary in this league than Embolo.

I watched Basle's first game of the season at the weekend and the kid was nothing special so I doubt he'd take the prem instantly by storm, be more of a long term project.

Rolan can play anywhere across the front three really. Good player. Wes is getting nervous there as VT's resident scout if we sign him....;)

Daz's original point is valid though. The logic that says "this one time we spent £7m on a striker and it worked out really well, therefore we can rely on it happening again to replace him" is about as sound as the other logic we use on here regarding a hesitancy to bring in Eastern European players because this one time we bought a bad one.

We got very lucky with Benteke. Yes it might happen again but it would be incredibly lucky if it did. It is far more likely that we buy a mere mortal at that price. I thought the meaning behind his post was fairly obvious even though he set himself up for the 'but Benteke cost that much' retort.

We would be very lucky and that's why it's unlikely to happen. I would think that Tim would look to use the money to replace Benteke's goals, and more, across the whole team. That is certainly more probable.

We cannot be in a situation again where we are so reliant on one player.

Thanks bof for understanding the point there and explaining, others seem to have struggled and would rather post snappy one liners but once you replied we at last got a relevent comment out of him.

And yes I have to say we can't be reliant on one player like this again but I do seeing us needing to spend big to have some firepower up front and given the sales of benteke,delph, given and vlaar plus the salary they were on there is no reason the money shouldn't be available.if Tim has a hard on for someone go get them!

By the way I'm three years married today!

Congrats on your wedding anniversary Daz!  :)

I will take a slight issue here as your post said "Classic randy. Try and replace the guy who saved us with a 6 mill striker". We don't know that there is any substance to that comment, apart from pure conjecture in order to have a moan. What was the point? In fact, if we're going to give credence to any of the links, they're all in the £10m plus category, in addition to Adebayor and others.

These links also appear to have some real quality about them (whether they're viable targets or not). I think it's a valid point that Benteke cost us £7m. That's not to say that he's not a cut above your typical £7m striker, but more to say that the purchase price of the player is not the only criteria upon which he should be judged.