Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

According to Uruguayan press reports, specifically, from Républica, Premier League side Aston Villa have tabled an €18m bid for striker Diego Rolan of Bordeaux.

Newcastle United did have an offer of around €13m rejected for the player earlier this month, as the report suggests. 

While Get French Football News has no confirmation of a bid being placed at the time of writing, the specific media outlet where this information is coming from has been one step ahead of everyone else on all things concerning Rolan this summer and should be trusted. 

Bordeaux have set a price of €20m in order to let go of the player, a price that they are not willing to negotiate on. Will Aston Villa match that price? We await confirmation for the offer itself first of all, even if the Uruguayan media outlet is reliable.

Our colleagues at Sud Ouest have confirmed today that the player is on Aston Villa’s shortlist. More undoubtedly to follow.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/aston-villa-have-tabled-an-e18m-bid-for-diego-rolan/

There's an article linking Newcastle from June with the figure of £4m so €18m is a massive leap for Rolan.

That's because he had his 'coming of age' seaaon. I think they played him centrally more (he used to mainly play on the right-wing) and he scored 15 goals.

Bout a minute in he talks about Adebayor , how he is a good trainer and younger guys look up to him.Think he (at least shot term) will do the business for Tim if he signs 

Almost certainly reading way too much into things, but it's kind of interesting that he drops a comment about 'an unprecedented amount of French players on the pitch' without prompting into the interview there. Maybe he's a long time admirer of the French league. It would certainly fit with our transfer activity thusfar, and maybe a sign of things to come as well. We seem to mainly be being linked with players from Ligue 1 these days. 

• Like 1

It's funny how every season we seem to raid a new country for players. In 2012 it was the Netherlands, in 2013-2014 it was Spain and now we're going after France. :lol:

Not that I'm complaining - I like that we actually seem to have a scouting network now which we just didn't have at all until about 3/4 years ago.

Edited by Mantis

It's funny how every season we seem to raid a new country for players. In 2012 it was the Netherlands, in 2013-2014 it was Spain and now we're going after France. :lol:

Not that I'm complaining - I like that we actually seem to have a scouting network now which we just didn't have at all until about 3/4 years ago.

inspired by the Vikings 

I'm as impatient as the next Villa fan, but we shouldn't get carried away: Replacing Benteke is THE challenge of Villa's next four weeks.  Possibly the most crucial decision in quite some years.

I can sweat it (just).  If we take our time and get the equivalent of a Gueye or an Amavi up front I'll be in the news as the crazy naked guy arrested for public indecency manically shouting the name of our noble new warrior.  You heard it here first.

• Like 1

I'm as impatient as the next Villa fan, but we shouldn't get carried away: Replacing Benteke is THE challenge of Villa's next four weeks.  Possibly the most crucial decision in quite some years.

I can sweat it (just).  If we take our time and get the equivalent of a Gueye or an Amavi up front I'll be in the news as the crazy naked guy arrested for public indecency manically shouting the name of our noble new warrior.  You heard it here first.

I think we need to use the Benteke money to replace a match-winner with a match-winning team.

• Like 1

First hippy crack, then passing out drunk, then £1,000 bottles of Vodka, now indecent exposure. Come on Jack, time to grow up son!

• Like 1

I think we need to use the Benteke money to replace a match-winner with a match-winning team.

There's a really interesting debate to be had there.  Let's say we get the 32.5 million to reinvest.  How much of that would you be prepared to spend on our new front line (whether one striker or more) compared to rebuilding the rest of the squad?

There's a really interesting debate to be had there.  Let's say we get the 32.5 million to reinvest.  How much of that would you be prepared to spend on our new front line (whether one striker or more) compared to rebuilding the rest of the squad?

team need at least 2 forwards, gabby can not be relied on to net often, TS has moved on whyman so its minimum 2 forwards. 

still no replacements for clev & snake yet,i dont want to hear the old crap of.. gill is like a new signing now etc, unless TS is backed with snake 8m & tekis 32 plus more from the tv funds 20-30m ..were flirting again

Problem we face is that we need both numbers and quality. It depends on whether we're aiming to simply retain our PL status, or looking to challenge the likes of Swansea, Stoke and Palace.

Eeesh, how bad does that sound?

Problem we face is that we need both numbers and quality. It depends on whether we're aiming to simply retain our PL status, or looking to challenge the likes of Swansea, Stoke and Palace.

Eeesh, how bad does that sound?

Another excellent debate.  I think we have the potential to truly establish ourselves, as a proper Premier league side and a team that people don't indifferently roll their eyes at.  As many have pointed out there's not a huge difference between 20th and 8th in the Premier League.  We should be pushing for top ten and kicking on from there next season.