2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Enigmatic to the end. I don't pretend to understand Lerner's reference to Boetti's Mappa other than that possibly he is suggesting a new owner will reveal himself in time. But it doesn't sound like a takeover is in the offing to me.

Of his work the "Mappa" Boetti said:

"For me the work of the embroidered Mappa is the maximum of beauty. For that work I did nothing, chose nothing, in the sense that: the world is made as it is, not as I designed it, the flags are those that exist, and I did not design them; in short I did absolutely nothing; when the basic idea, the concept, emerges everything else requires no choosing." Alighiero e Boetti, 1974"

Wonder who will be new chairman..

To me that article also reads that we will selling players (Benteke?) as he sees that as the way Southampton and Swansea have been successful.

If he's not chairman, he can't make those decisions can he?

What he said was that there is an ecosystem in place and there is always another angle.

Surprisingly frank words from Randy. Given all we have really had from him in the past is carefully worded statements it almost makes you wonder if this is actually the same person.

One wonders if he'd been a little more open and accessible like this a few years ago the fans just might have been a bit more patient and forgiving.

One wonders if he'd been a little more open and accessible like this a few years ago the fans just might have been a bit more patient and forgiving.

Considering this is football, I'd say probably not.

• Like 4

To me that article also reads that we will selling players (Benteke?) as he sees that as the way Southampton and Swansea have been successful.

I literally have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. He doesnt say that at all, just he envys how they've been run well.

Tom Fox?

I was thinking this. With Lerner outlining just how much authority has been invested in Fox in terms of the general running of the club, what exactly would a seperately appointed chairman do beyond that? I mean I look at Spurs where Levy is basically Chairman and CEO in one and think that is the set-up Lerner should be looking at if he wants a more withdrawn role.

Edited by Isa

LERNER VOWS TO WALK AWAY FROM VILLA

Exclusive Matt Dickinson

Chief Sports Writer

Randy Lerner will step down as Aston Villa chairman this summer even if he retains ownership of the club. The American still hopes to sell Villa but has made moves to put a new board in place if no takeover is completed.

In a rare interview, Lerner told The Times, that he accepts he should have stepped aside several years ago because of work and family commitments in the United States. He has come under fire from supporters as the team has battled relegation in recent seasons. "I don't disagree with the criticism," he said. "And what i should have done several years back was to bring in a chairman."

He insists that he has already taken steps to help to revive the Midlands club, who hope to win their first trophy in almost 20 years by beating Arsenal in the FA Cup final on Saturday.

Victory would provide an upbeat end to another difficult season, as well as a place in the Europa League, and Lerner believes that the retention of top- flight status could accelerate the sale of the club he bought from Doug Ellis in 2006.

Talks are continuing with several parties including groups backed from China and the United States, although reports that a consortium led by Paul Smith, the former Chelsea chief executive, and Tony Adams is close to completing a deal are understood to be wide of the mark. "Yes, the club remains for sale," Lerner said. "but as we've seen, 'Club for sale' doesn't necessarily mean it will change hands so fast."

Lerner could have sold Villa last year but was not happy with the way that the deal was progressing so pulled out of negotiations. He insists that he will not sell unless he is happy with both the offer----saying that recent sales in the Premier League "suggest somewhere in the £150million to £200million [region] is the likely range"---and the commitments of the new owners.

"I have had interest from nearly every corner of the globe", he said. "Germans, Italians, Americans and Chinese among others have expressed interest in and fondness for the Villa. The key of course is to try to put the club in custodial hands that can take the club forward. Resources and competence and a willingness to immerse themselves in the local fabric".

Lerner says that if no party can complete a swift takeover, and he may set a time limit to ensure readiness for next season, he will stay on as owner but will appoint a new chairman. There could also be other additions to the board.

"Last year at this time i had a plan A, which was to sell, and a plan B which was to rethink the club's business management, which led to the hiring of Tom Fox [as chief executive]." Lerner said. "This year the plan A remains to find a buyer if on the cards or, plan B, find a new chairman."

No link as I think it's from The Times which is paywalled. But hope this link to Vital Villa where it's been copied & pasted, will do.
  • Like 1

Enigmatic to the end. I don't pretend to understand Lerner's reference to Boetti's Mappa other than that possibly he is suggesting a new owner will reveal himself in time. But it doesn't sound like a takeover is in the offing to me.

Of his work the "Mappa" Boetti said:

"For me the work of the embroidered Mappa is the maximum of beauty. For that work I did nothing, chose nothing, in the sense that: the world is made as it is, not as I designed it, the flags are those that exist, and I did not design them; in short I did absolutely nothing; when the basic idea, the concept, emerges everything else requires no choosing." Alighiero e Boetti, 1974"

How nice of them to celebrate the club's centenary by releasing such a quote.

Are there many football chairmen that don't have at least some stake in the club they run?

If there is no sale do you think a new Chairman means that he will look at the possibility of selling a share of the club or that it will purely be a job role?

I literally have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. He doesnt say that at all, just he envys how they've been run well.

I read Lerner's comments as; The elite will remain the same and bit part players like us will feed off them by over-charging them for any of our players that they want to buy from us.

Hardly inspiring but, sadly, probably true about how the Premier League now works.

Â