2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

There's very little of a "Lerner love in". In fact, he gets blamed for pretty much anything and everything.

So then why are people saying things like ''I'll miss him''

Edited by Arj Guy

There's very little of a "Lerner love in". In fact, he gets blamed for pretty much anything and everything.

So then why are people saying things like ''I'll miss him''

I think I was the only one to say that, and I gave my reasons on the same page. I also said it is time for him to go, so hardly a 'love in'. 

• Like 1

We should judge him by who he sells to.

After spending 200 million of his own money and seeing "Lerner Out" banners held up by fans, you'd forgive him for flogging the club to the first half broke loan shark with a leveraged buyout deal. It's really to his great credit that he probably isn't going to do such a thing.

He hasn't JUST spent 200m and that is all though, has he? That is half the story and the rest is a nightmare - caused by his own doing - not the fans who have suffered.

The thing is that it's not about who your owner actually is, but how much money they're willing to throw at their team.  If he chucked more money at the problem and we finished 10th rather than 16th in the last 4 seasons, people would be far more forgiving of Lerner - despite Aston Villa being in a far worse financial state.

People are actually calling for an oil baron to be our next owner.  It's a huge shame.

I don't expect millions to be spent, but I also do not expect us to face such terrible cuts, a manager appointed who just relegated our neighbours and to then give a four year contract to a manager who has broken so many unwanted records.

As for the cuts, we are told that it has to happen as we were living above our means (spending was 6th on wages, jeesh), so the chairman who came in without a plan, threw money at nothing and then got the chills. HE made the decisions, nobody else. He was to blame, he is to blame and he should absolutely get stick from the fans.

It seems he agrees too - that he got a lot wrong. And fair play to him.

We won't face terrible cuts again... unless the next owner comes in and overspends, of course.  The rest of your first paragraph is narrative that doesn't mean anything.  Managerial appointments not being correct?  This happens all the time!

I would assume the initial plan was to spend big and achieve CL football.  We almost did this.  Of course, almost isn't good enough so we were lumbered with huge costs and slid down the league, as per every single football club that has taken this approach before and failed (oil baron clubs aside).  The difference being that we haven't been relegated and are now operating on steady footing.

Lerner's fault?  Absolutely.  I blame him more than anyone for the state the club got into.  However, I also believe he has the clubs' interests at heart and that the drastic cuts were necessary.  As I put originally, if he continued to pump money into the club and we finished 10th rather than 16th for 4 seasons, people would be far more forgiving of Lerner - yet it would've been much worse for Aston Villa as a club.  Whilst tough as a spectacle, I appreciate that.

He just doesn't deserve dogs abuse for me.  He messed up, corrected the situation and leaves (potentially) with the club in a decent state.  He also gave us the best footballing years that I can remember (I'm relatively young ;)).

Again, we could've had a much worse owner.

Fair enough mate. Think we agree on a lot, barring a few minor details. Important thing is now that we (as a club) move on.

• Like 1

He came in, threw money about trying to get us in CL, failed, then had to make drastic cuts in spending and wages in order to make up for this. This made for a shit time for us as fans. BUT had we broke into the CL we probably would have been able to keep ourselves afloat. We're only in this position because we failed at it, but to be fair he gave it a go and it could have worked out. I'd rather it have been done with a long term plan but it could have worked. Let him move on and the next guy can have a go at it his way.

• Like 1

we were lumbered with huge costs and slid down the league, as per every single football club that has taken this approach before and failed (oil baron clubs aside).  The difference being that we haven't been relegated and are now operating on steady footing.

That's a great point. We're the only ones who escaped without relegation. Blackburn, Leeds, Newcastle, QPR even City (though not quite under the same circumstances) all dropped after spending big money. We didn't.

we were lumbered with huge costs and slid down the league, as per every single football club that has taken this approach before and failed (oil baron clubs aside). The difference being that we haven't been relegated and are now operating on steady footing.

That's a great point. We're the only ones who escaped without relegation. Blackburn, Leeds, Newcastle, QPR even City (though not quite under the same circumstances) all dropped after spending big money. We didn't.

That's been more luck than judgment in the last 4 years.

• Like 2

The last 4 years we've failed to reach the points total we achieved under Doug and DOL in their final year. Its been incredibly bad, so while yes it could be worse (considering we finished 17th it was very close to be much worse) I don't think its something we should be so grateful for.

Also I don't remember much demand for him to spend a fortune. We were very happy with the bent signing, I don't remember much complaining about the money given to McLeish and the initial window under Lambert was met with positivity on the whole. I refuse to believe that the only way to get to this position was the way we've done. Consistent bad managerial decisions led to more wasted more and continued lower league finishes. I'd imagine this has made us a harder sell at the price he wants.

I also don't think the argument he has the clubs interest at heart holds much weight. I believe the same could be said for McLeish and Lambert, but it means nothing when you're doing such a terrible job.

I'll remember the initial joy he brought but the last few years have ruined his reputation and the bad times under Lerner will be remembered far more than the good.

I could never have imagined these last 5 years would happen so soon after he arrived. Shows what an awful owner he is when the majority of his time here have seen such a poor performance in the team. Hopefully this is the end.

Yes, you can't finish with 38 points for three seasons out of four and slap Lerner on the back for us remaining an Premier League club. We've got away with it and I'd be more grateful for the ineptitude of those who finished below us during those season. Take this season, if Hull had beaten Burnley, we may well have gone down instead. Yes, we might've taken the Burnley game more seriously but still could conceivably have choked.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 3

I don't think people are grateful for Lerner for the last 5 seasons, people just understand that the budget slash back was a necessity and that most people can see that he only wanted what was best for the club, took a gamble that cost him £200 million and cost us 5 shit seasons which hopefully are coming to an end. Had Lerner had some more help(his fault for not asking for it) then the gamble would probably have paid of.

• Like 1

Lerner is a bit like a good amatuer Golfer trying to mix it with the pro's

On yor best day, maybe you can.

As soon as you "put a ball in the water" it costs you 2 shots.

then what do you do?

Plan A - play high risk to catch up

Plan B - steady the ship without catching up

either way, if you just dont have what it takes - you lose.

Man, RL must be a very bad Golfer

If Lerner went this summer he's record in the league is pretty 50/50 and his record in the cups has been good and that's not counting a win on Saturday. Which if it does happen will make up for Mcleish and the last 3 years and then some!

Maybe if Paul Smith fails to buys us he'll apply for the job as Chairman. But really the club needs to be sold asap, it's already looking like the uncertainty could disrupt Sherwood's planning for next season already, next year could be a write off whatever happens.

Without wanting to reheat a load of recent history, it seems to me that 'always want[ing] what's best for the club' seems to me to be pretty much a minimal **** requirement for the chairman of that club. 

Without wanting to reheat a load of recent history, it seems to me that 'always want[ing] what's best for the club' seems to me to be pretty much a minimal **** requirement for the chairman of that club.

It should be. But then you do get owners out there like Mike Ashley, Oyston and Tan

Â