Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Guzan

Hutton Vlaar Clark Cissokho

Westwood Delph

Sinclair Cleverley Gil

Benteke

I'd be surprised if Sherwood played five in midfield against a team like Stoke. Doesn't really match his mentality. Would say a lot about what he thinks of this team if he does.

A lot of good teams play 4-2-3-1 (Chelsea for example). As long as the 3 AM's provide enough creativity it can be an attacking formation.

Although if Sherwood goes for 4-4-2 he may well start Gabby as he said he'd been 'on fire' in training. Gabby and Benteke upfront with Gil and Sinclair on the wings could work well also.

• Like 2

Yeah 4-2-3-1 can still be a very attacking formation. Just depends on how you set the team up.

I much prefer it to 4-4-2. 

4-4-2 is too flat and requires decent wingers. For so long we've been desperate for players who can play between the lines in a 4-2-3-1 formation. We now have those in Sanchez and Gil, let's give it a go and send the team out to score!

My team this weekend would be...

Guzan

Hutton - Vlaar - Clark - Aly

Sanchez - Delph

Sinclair   -   Gil          Weimann*

Benteke

* Or Gabby, either one really, think i'd go Weimann though. 

Just hope it isn't the same as Lambert's first home game in charge versus Everton.Over 36,000 turned up full of optimism. THIS was the start of a new era. Lambert WAS the man to lead us to the promised land of mid table. Then we had to watch the football. 0-3 at half time. Lambert had to play catch up after the first game.

Edited by The Fun Factory

haven't felt as excited about a game since the start of the season.always love first game of the season as hate the close season.would love a win but to be honest if we draw i won't be to disappointed as long as we look like the second half against leicester.if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll stay up.

Arnautovic and Crouch killed us at home last season, Crouch ran the show and Arnautovic crossed at will and in a devastating fashion, if Vlar can handle Crouch then we just have to hope Hutton or Cissoko can stop the crosses from Arnautovic.

Reckon a draw, 2-2

Games are starting to run out now....if we don't win tomorrow we probably need 7 points from Newcastle, Sunderland and WBA. If we aren't close to 30 points after the Swansea game to complete that run at the end of March, I think we're going down tbh.

So crucial we get a win as early as possible and then logically the task to accumulate the points is easier...suddenly it would probably be 3 wins and a couple of draws from 12 games rather than 4 wins from 12 if we don't beat Stoke.

To me there are good and bad times to play opposition teams in seasons and Stoke now is a very good team as they're conceding plenty of goals without Shawcross, are safely in mid table, have a lot of injuries and we one of the few teams we have actually beaten this season.