Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Anyway, back to population density maps...

Complete coincidence but I saw this one of Switzerland today

zzb5w3v7i2261.png?width=960&height=540&c

That would be great in a pub quiz as a "What does this represent?" 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

1feed707aaf82d001d11f031c9c8dc4b.jpg

Was gonna post that myself, but couldn’t be arsed to go through my attachments, so thanks Mike.

edit. I just did, and found where you saw it 😁  perfect!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Anyway, back to population density maps...

Complete coincidence but I saw this one of Switzerland today

zzb5w3v7i2261.png?width=960&height=540&c

Interesting how easy it is to see the path of the Rhone on both this one and the Europe one.

• Like 1

I imagine people on this thread might enjoy some of the comments to this Twitter post:

I was aware of some of these border anomalies, like the town split between Belgium and the Netherlands with loads of exclaves, but some of the replies were oddities that were new to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I imagine people on this thread might enjoy some of the comments to this Twitter post:

I was aware of some of these border anomalies, like the town split between Belgium and the Netherlands with loads of exclaves, but some of the replies were oddities that were new to me.

The Lower Level Covid Area boundaries, certainly in my locality, make zero sense at all

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have no idea how those are decided to be honest.

I have no basis for this other than a suspicion that they have tried to equalise the populations loosely based on council wards but its a nonsense and sometimes really bears no relation to geography and peoples habits or movements from that area

There's one area called Ford in Sefton which obviously doesn't fill whatever criteria they've used, so they've added bits from Thornton and Crosby. The people flow in Ford would generally be between Netherton and Bootle. Between Ford and Crosby / Thornton is a mile or so wide green space (and a canal through most of it). The people flow from Thornton and Crosby is generally to Crosby.

Then because they've taken a chunk out of Thornton, they've thrown in Sefton Village to that area, guess what, the major people flow there is to Maghull

That is just one of many I've seen. The whole thing is brainless

They really should have had an expert who knows where people travel to and from assist them drawing these up (I'd happily volunteer as I pretty much am that expert for most of Merseyside) as the general flow of people and knowing that is vital to combating this in any more localised lockdowns that may be required.

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have no basis for this other than a suspicion that they have tried to equalise the populations loosely based on council wards but its a nonsense and sometimes really bears no relation to geography and peoples habits or movements from that area

There's one area called Ford in Sefton which obviously doesn't fill whatever criteria they've used, so they've added bits from Thornton and Crosby. The people flow in Ford would generally be between Netherton and Bootle. Between Ford and Crosby / Thornton is a mile or so wide green space (and a canal through most of it). The people flow from Thornton and Crosby is generally to Crosby.

Then because they've taken a chunk out of Thornton, they've thrown in Sefton Village to that area, guess what, the major people flow there is to Maghull

That is just one of many I've seen. The whole thing is brainless

They really should have had an expert who knows where people travel to and from assist them drawing these up (I'd happily volunteer as I pretty much am that expert for most of Merseyside) as the general flow of people and knowing that is vital to combating this in any more localised lockdowns that may be required.

I'm pretty sure there was a new system of local area labelling brought in recently, which is not completely contiguous with council wards? Perhaps that's what's going on here? I'll have a look later and see if I can find what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm just being confused. I've got confused with the project to give names to Output Areas, which isn't relevant.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2020 at 10:44, mjmooney said:

This. We've done loads of holidays in France, absolutely love the place. And yeah, Paris might as well be a different planet (great city, mind, but like London, a bit too intense for more than a couple of days, imo). 

Based myself in Lyon for the Euros in 2016. Its a great town, probably even better without thousands of footy fans! The food is great. Sorry no map.

• Like 1

Just looking at Solihull Retail Park in Google maps and noticed that Currys PC world has and internal map of it's store on there with the location of each item they sell. 

I thought it was interesting, you possibly might too. 

16 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Based myself in Lyon for the Euros in 2016. Its a great town, probably even better without thousands of footy fans! The food is great. Sorry no map.

and me, made it across to st etienne for the england game too (one for the piss me off thread...) and it was a good little city, especially the old town, avoided all the trouble from the russians, had some great days with random fan groups (albanians were incredible) and the whole infrastructure around the stadium was great

and then i went to the nantes game in which ever coastal town that was held in...absolute shit hole, full of words removed, asshole police and it was bad enough to put me off travelling to France for the rest of my life

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

and me, made it across to st etienne for the england game too (one for the piss me off thread...) and it was a good little city, especially the old town, avoided all the trouble from the russians, had some great days with random fan groups (albanians were incredible) and the whole infrastructure around the stadium was great

and then i went to the nantes game in which ever coastal town that was held in...absolute shit hole, full of words removed, asshole police and it was bad enough to put me off travelling to France for the rest of my life

See also Villa fans' experiences in Madrid, as compared with Bilbao. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

EoR5_vMXcAMZoGB?format=jpg&name=large

Britain and Ireland’s rivers including the Thames (purple) and Severn (blue) have been mapped in precise detail by Robert Szucs.

From https://twitter.com/ProfMacpherson/status/1334325531727323138

That's stunning

I'm ashamed to say I had no idea there were that many rivers in the UK (and Ireland)

• Like 2

One of my plans is to travel the length of the Thames from the Bristol Channel. I'd like to do it on bike but it's not technically allowed :(

Walking it would take a couple of weeks I think.

Â