Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Made me laugh anyway

Its a bit disingenuous though. If you put that into google it gives you the route, then some videos, then some articles, its the way google works. If he'd restricted his search to Google image search, he'd have found exactly what he was looking for. Person using wrong tool tries to get a laugh at the tools expense but people who have a better understanding of the tool are laughing at him

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its a bit disingenuous though. If you put that into google it gives you the route, then some videos, then some articles, its the way google works. If he'd restricted his search to Google image search, he'd have found exactly what he was looking for. Person using wrong tool tries to get a laugh at the tools expense but people who have a better understanding of the tool are laughing at him

I think the tone being used here is 'whimsical humour' rather than decrying Google, as shown in the follow-up tweets, but eh, not everyone has to like it 🤷‍♂️

Edited by HanoiVillan

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I assume 'Christian' was people who didn't specify their sub-superstition, seeing as all the others are Christian anyway. 

No. Its where no dominant sect of the cult exists but the area is predominantly of that cult

The ones with the dots in mean the county has a majority population of that religion, hence the dots all over Utah for the Morons.

Also worth noting that Protestants outweigh Catholics 2:1 in the US but because Protestantism is sub divided and Catholicism isn't, the Papists are often recorded as dominant

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

worth noting that Protestants outweigh Catholics 2:1 in the US but because Protestantism is sub divided and Catholicism isn't, the Papists are often recorded as dominant

Ah yes, I was wondering about that. Very misleading map, really. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Ah yes, I was wondering about that. Very misleading map, really. 

Depends on your view of the differening  sub-sects of Protestantism I guess

15% Baptist 10% Lutheran 25% Catholic would give Catholicism a dominant status. I'd imagine the Lutherans and the Baptists would argue they are totally diiferent and shouldn't be lumped together.

It kinda explains why Catholicism is still the force it is whereas mostly the Protestants aren't. Think of it as Protestants are the Left and Catholics the RIght politically (except that obviously reverses in N Ireland to be perverse)

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The most interesting thing to me on that map is the range in the size of counties, seems like the south east have a different way of thinking to the mid west 

This is an interesting companion to the religion map

USA-ethnicity-map.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

This is an interesting companion to the religion map

USA-ethnicity-map.jpg

I don't really understand 'American' as an ancestry, given that there is also 'American Indian' (which I assume means native American). 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I don't really understand 'American' as an ancestry, given that there is also 'American Indian' (which I assume means native American). 

IIRC, last time I looked at this, it was people who didn't really identify as anything other than American, or in other words their historical family roots weren't important too them or were unknown

I also read somewhere that lots of people who think they are originally "German", aren't.

I think the data comes from the census so is self-identifying

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2020 at 09:29, bickster said:

ltdvi7i8lj061.jpg

Dominant religion by county in the US

On 21/11/2020 at 09:32, mjmooney said:

I assume 'Christian' was people who didn't specify their sub-superstition, seeing as all the others are Christian anyway. 

So they all believe in the same magic sky fairy, but slightly different stories about him.

So it's a map of the effect of Chinese whispers on the impressionable.

• Like 2

Â