Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

34 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's a growing language donchaknow! When I lived there it was very scarce, but since then it's been spreading, thanks to the efforts of a few of the Cornish native speakers and I think it can even be taught in some schools now, but not to dogs, (yet).

I kind of  like the idea of these languages continuing to live on. 

Maybe it's because I'm married to a Devon lass, but Cornwall and the Cornish generally get on my tits. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe it's because I'm married to a Devon lass, but Cornwall and the Cornish generally get on my tits. 

Yeah, but you live in Yorkshire :) Everyone gets on Yorkie folk's tits.

The Cornish are generally lovely people, from my experience, but have a thing against "Janners".

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Me too but I was just postulating as to why it wasn't on the map. When you look at the Welsh ones, it does seem to be the areas with a majority of Welsh Speakers and not the whole country. There are plenty of Welsh Speakers down south and again increasing but not the majority

There are strong Welsh speaking ghettos around the south of South Wales areas now.

Plenty of areas around Cardiff and Penarth where the presumed first greeting is in Welsh at a shop or a cafe etc.. What started off as the Pontcanna Taffia has been spreading quite noticeably since the BBC and The Senedd have been recruiting for bi lingual applicants.

I’m now regularly caught out with my initial greeting in Welsh and the other person then presumes I know what I’m on about and gives me a machine gun delivery of Welsh language that exposes the limited and slow vocabulary I’ve got.

As for Cornish, they will likely eventually be stamped out in the rush to homogenise to some english cultural norm. Far too inconvenient for Jim and Brenda to have to put up with anything slightly different on their hollybobs or when buying a second home, or retiring somewhere nice.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There are strong Welsh speaking ghettos around the south of South Wales areas now.

Plenty of areas around Cardiff and Penarth where the presumed first greeting is in Welsh at a shop or a cafe etc.. What started off as the Pontcanna Taffia has been spreading quite noticeably since the BBC and The Senedd have been recruiting for bi lingual applicants.

I’m now regularly caught out with my initial greeting in Welsh and the other person then presumes I know what I’m on about and gives me a machine gun delivery of Welsh language that exposes the limited and slow vocabulary I’ve got.

As for Cornish, they will likely eventually be stamped out in the rush to homogenise to some english cultural norm. Far too inconvenient for Jim and Brenda to have to put up with anything slightly different on their hollybobs or when buying a second home, or retiring somewhere nice.

Bah. I fully accept that Wales is its own thing, and a different country from England. But bloody Cornwall? It's an English county with pretentions. Even Yorkshire people are less arsey. 

4 hours ago, blandy said:

It's a growing language donchaknow! When I lived there it was very scarce, but since then it's been spreading, thanks to the efforts of a few of the Cornish native speakers and I think it can even be taught in some schools now, but not to dogs, (yet).

I kind of  like the idea of these languages continuing to live on. 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Me too but I was just postulating as to why it wasn't on the map. When you look at the Welsh ones, it does seem to be the areas with a majority of Welsh Speakers and not the whole country. There are plenty of Welsh Speakers down south and again increasing but not the majority

I assume that's a map of where each language is spoken as a first language, because certainly in Ireland that's pretty much all the Gaeltacht areas where Irish would be spoken almost exclusively.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Me too.

EDIT : Oh, exotica. I read that wrong.

An early NSX in formula red does blur the line for me! 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

That looks like a very interesting map, I just wish I could read half of it!

Right click->View image. Hold CTRL, roll the mouse ball up (or ctrl and +). Voila zoomy thing complete.

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

Right click->View image. Hold CTRL, roll the mouse ball up (or ctrl and +). Voila zoomy thing complete.

I know how to zoom :D It's just so low res I can still hardly read it when it's massive.

It's only the actual country names in the smaller font that are problematic. I suppose that'll teach me to learn some basic geography!

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Would have thought curry would have been number 1 in the UK... Well that or fish and chips drowning in gravy. 

Data is bollocks. No one searches for fish and chips menus

If I'm going to my favourite chip shop I know what I'm having, If I'm phoning an order through, I know what I'm having, I don't need to search

Chinese on the other hand needs a study of the usually VAST menu

Even Indians in the main are fairly standard dishes

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Data is bollocks. No one searches for fish and chips menus

If I'm going to my favourite chip shop I know what I'm having, If I'm phoning an order through, I know what I'm having, I don't need to search

Chinese on the other hand needs a study of the usually VAST menu

Even Indians in the main are fairly standard dishes

That is true, my wife will study the menu for several minutes before always ordering spring rolls and lemon chicken. 

Chinese is probably the takeaway we get the least often though. 

• Haha 1

Â