Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's a really good one. Must admit I'm slightly surprised by India and China - yes, I know they have huge populations, but they are also mostly rural, so I would still expect to see some relatively empty bits, and huge concentrations in the cities. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's a really good one. Must admit I'm slightly surprised by India and China - yes, I know they have huge populations, but they are also mostly rural, so I would still expect to see some relatively empty bits, and huge concentrations in the cities. 

Especially in rural India, which seems to be extremely dense by comparison to almost all of the rest of the world's rural areas. There's actually an India specific map in the thread:

En5af2_XYAQugeY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

If compared to Myanmar, and especially Sri Lanka, the difference is really striking.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One more of these density maps, looking at western Europe:

EWzOI3DXQAAbHir?format=jpg&name=4096x409

(from this guy, who seems to be the original creator: https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1255605330647625728)

Ammunition for the "We're full, let the French keep 'em" brigade, if ever I saw it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ammunition for the "We're full, let the French keep 'em" brigade, if ever I saw it. 

Or send them to Wales and Scotland :trollface:

I never realised France was so rural. I've only been to Paris, so not experienced anything else of the country. 

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I never realised France was so rural. I've only been to Paris, so not experienced anything else of the country. 

The rest of France is not like Paris. The rest of France is a lot more laid back. Capital cities are rarely like the rest of the country. The further South you go, the more laid back it is imo.

Nice is my favourite city in France and a good base to do most of the Med Coast. You can do most of it by train from there and a great train journey it is. Pretty much follows the whole coast from Cannes to Italy

The Dordoyne is great too but you definitely need to hire a car there

In fact to keep it completely On Topic, have a map

rail-provence-map-002-1200.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

The rest of France is not like Paris. The rest of France is a lot more laid back. Capital cities are rarely like the rest of the country. The further South you go, the more laid back it is imo.

Nice is my favourite city in France and a good base to do most of the Med Coast. You can do most of it by train from there and a great train journey it is. Pretty much follows the whole coast from Cannes to Italy

The Dordoyne is great too but you definitely need to hire a car there

This. We've done loads of holidays in France, absolutely love the place. And yeah, Paris might as well be a different planet (great city, mind, but like London, a bit too intense for more than a couple of days, imo). 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

This. We've done loads of holidays in France, absolutely love the place. And yeah, Paris might as well be a different planet (great city, mind, but like London, a bit too intense for more than a couple of days, imo). 

Same here

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There's a really good documentary called last train home which is about the migration of people in the cities back to the rural areas that they originate from, it's the biggest annual movement of people on the planet 

I also studied it for my dissertation, from memory when they started these special economic zones in the 80s with shenzhen people flooded to the city from the country, the SEZ lasts for 10 years, so shenzhen, guangzhou, shanghai etc got huge, then in just become the pearl River delta and costal cities, now they've gone in land so the likes of apple are relocating and the people are following them, the migration isn't as big anymore 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I bet it’s still Istres though, that’s the point.

Ah, in that case I don't know. That's not the name I know.

Having just looked it up, no it's not Istres :mrgreen:

Edited by limpid
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Ah, in that case I don't know. That's not the name I know.

It’s where all the French UAV flying is done from, Neuron, Barracuda etc. because the area is cleared for it by their aviation authorities. It’s also a Dassault run facility and it has the ground infrastructure and security for it. Had the UK/French UCAS not been canned, then that would have been where first flying was done from. I think it’s called Le Tube as well. I could point you at which hangar they use, too, but won’t.

caveat is obviously they might have somewhere else secret, to use the same airspace, but it’s really hard to keep airfields hidden.

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s where all the French UAV flying is done from, Neuron, Barracuda etc. because the area is cleared for it by their aviation authorities. It’s also a Dassault run facility and it has the ground infrastructure and security for it. Had the UK/French UCAS not been canned, then that would have been where first flying was done from. I think it’s called Le Tube as well. I could point you at which hangar they use, too, but won’t.

caveat is obviously they might have somewhere else secret, to use the same airspace, but it’s really hard to keep airfields hidden.

It's not government or military secret. We just call it the secret drone testing facility.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â