Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

On 06/12/2020 at 12:56, bickster said:

EokP_30W4AgRea3?format=jpg&name=large

This map also features Four Corners (though doesn't say.) The only place in the USA where four states meet at right angles

I went here once on a road trip. It was about 4pm and we'd just driven into Utah from Arizona and aware that Utak can be a little alcohol unfriendly we decided to stop at a motel but it had to fulfil the requirement of haqving a bar or on our way we'd be going. Stopped at a motel, asked the bloke in reception if there was a bar in the town. No Sir, this is a dry county, you'll have to cross the county line if you want to buy alcohol. On we went... 500 yards.... Wait, thats a bar... drive into the car park, yep obligatory Budweiser sign in the window and  perfectly a Motel opposite.

We went to that bar that night, walked in and yep, the only thing we heard was the click of the pool balls and.... silence. We were being stared at by the entire bar. Walked up to the bar, ordered beers and were treated with some suspicion. Then the bar tender announced to the whole bar, that it was OK, we were Australian. I think we met everyone in the bar that night, we were even introiduced to everyone as they came in. They did learn we were English eventually and we left with a... Shit you guys sure can drink!

We beat quite a few of them at pool too

What year were you there just out of interest?

Also, 4 corners is about the most boring place in the entire US. It's in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing there. (It was in an episode of Breaking Bad though. )

If anyone is ever in the area there a million and one other places worth driving to other than Four Corners,

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

What year were you there just out of interest?

Also, 4 corners is about the most boring place in the entire US. It's in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing there. (It was in an episode of Breaking Bad though. )

If anyone is ever in the area there a million and one other places worth driving to other than Four Corners,

Early ‘90s.  Agree on everything you’ve said. We were just passing through with no real plan other than to turn East towards Colorado

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Countries that are far far less of a ball ache to import cars from, unless that car is a Porsche 914

I've occasionally looked at what auto exotica can be imported from Japan with a degree of envy. Some great cars there and usually in fabulous condition. 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 16:14, bickster said:

wg7zs9fsiko31.png

The Languages of Europe (Best if you right click on map and open in new tab)

I'm not even being contrary for the sake of it here (for once), but they've missed Cornish.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2021 at 18:18, Xela said:

I've occasionally looked at what auto exotica can be imported from Japan

Me too.

EDIT : Oh, exotica. I read that wrong.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm not even being contrary for the sake of it here (for once), but they've missed Cornish.

Maybe you have to reach a threshold percentage before it counts and one man and his dog in Cornwall didn't meet it

Nah can't be that because they don't have the North East of England speaking Viking

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

Maybe you have to reach a threshold percentage before it counts and one man and his dog in Cornwall didn't meet it

It's a growing language donchaknow! When I lived there it was very scarce, but since then it's been spreading, thanks to the efforts of a few of the Cornish native speakers and I think it can even be taught in some schools now, but not to dogs, (yet).

I kind of  like the idea of these languages continuing to live on. 

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's a growing language donchaknow! When I lived there it was very scarce, but since then it's been spreading, thanks to the efforts of a few of the Cornish native speakers and I think it can even be taught in some schools now, but not to dogs, (yet).

I kind of  like the idea of these languages continuing to live on. 

Me too but I was just postulating as to why it wasn't on the map. When you look at the Welsh ones, it does seem to be the areas with a majority of Welsh Speakers and not the whole country. There are plenty of Welsh Speakers down south and again increasing but not the majority

Â