Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

10 hours ago, bickster said:

The World as divided by.the TWO Aldis. The are two different supermarket chains called Aldi. Adli Nord and Aldi Sud, both German companies. They used to be one company until the brothers fell out... Over stocking cigarettes, one brother though they should the other brother thought they attract shoplifters, so they split the company in two and have been separate entities ever since. Generally where one goes the other doesn't. Only Germany and the USA has both brands.

Two different Aldi companies

See also: Adidas/Puma and John Smiths/Samuel Smiths. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bickster said:

The World as divided by.the TWO Aldis. The are two different supermarket chains called Aldi. Adli Nord and Aldi Sud, both German companies. They used to be one company until the brothers fell out... Over stocking cigarettes, one brother though they should the other brother thought they attract shoplifters, so they split the company in two and have been separate entities ever since. Generally where one goes the other doesn't. Only Germany and the USA has both brands.

Two different Aldi companies

Great factoid Mr Bicks

115px-AldiNord-WorldwideLogo.svg.png100px-Aldi_Sud_logo.svg.png

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 08:47, mjmooney said:

Fascinating. I had no idea there even were variants on what we use (except for tarot cards - which seem to have a shared lineage with the Spanish and Italian sets). 

I play some weird card game with the In-laws in Hungary , their decks feature Acorns , as per the German deck  / map above  .. and interestingly only contains 32 cards

Oh and if anyone cares ,  the suits symbolizing the four main layers of society: hearts  are the clergy, leaves are the citizens, acorns are the peasantry, and bells represent nobles ..you'll thank me when it comes up on Only connect some time

Edited by tonyh29

On 12/10/2020 at 10:33, HanoiVillan said:

Another interesting country for those who like to think about population density . . . is Mongolia the least densely-populated country in the world, or is it really quite densely populated?

Sort of , but that accolade goes to Greenland

Mongolia basically works out at 5 people per square mile   ... on the other end of the scale , i think  Monaco is the most densely populated at roughly 68,00 per square mile

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough I was only reading the other day about Hamida Djandoubi misplacing his head in ‘77.

That map will be a jumping off point for a few other bits of research - spoiler -starting with the Isle of Man as I type (did not know about the delay in abolishing the death penalty there, blimey).

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Not a country. Autonomous Danish Territory

VT is slacking , i was expecting someone to jump on that in seconds  

but , take it up with the internet , they are the ones that give them the title  :P

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Not a country. Autonomous Danish Territory

It is technically a country but it is not a sovereign state. We're into technicality here but hey that's what VT is for.

• Haha 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Why are they these bizarre shapes?

Because in many states, the politicians draw the boundaries themselves (or, to be more accurate, the parties have computer science whizzkids to do it for them), and it is possible to work out the perfect shape for optimising your party's vote by looking at demographics/past elections and so on.

In many states, the only effective rule is that they have to be contiguous, which is why there are always tiny slivers of land that remain within the district.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:
32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why are they these bizarre shapes?

Because in many states, the politicians draw the boundaries themselves (or, to be more accurate, the parties have computer science whizzkids to do it for them), and it is possible to work out the perfect shape for optimising your party's vote by looking at demographics/past elections and so on.

In many states, the only effective rule is that they have to be contiguous, which is why there are always tiny slivers of land that remain within the district.

And also, if you are genuinely new to gerrymandering, that's a hell of a quality rabbit hole to fall down :lol:

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

In terms of the Maryland one, I think I read that someone said the gerrymandering put the split as 7:1 in favour of the Dems but someone had now worked out a way to make it 8:0 (not fact checked at all)

Â