Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I know this sounds stupid and facetious, but wouldn't it be easier in a boat? 

Yep. The original idea was to do it in canoes/kayaks for charity. But I like to cycle. Also, once you get to Teddington, that's the River Thames actually finished and the rest is the tidal Thames but the coast to coast bit wouldn't end until outside the Thames estuary which is debatably Margate. Then there's the issue of getting boats back to source upstream. With a bike/on foot you can stay overnight in places and get a train back at the end. Plus I've only ever driven a boat once: a narrowboat into Brum along the canal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I know this sounds stupid and facetious, but wouldn't it be easier in a boat? 

Also probably why it's not allowed on a bike.

• Haha 1

Talking about crazy borders the other day, have you ever looked at Maryland and just considered it carefully?

EobCWW2XUAEC-sr?format=jpg&name=medium

Like, WTF? What connects the bit that should clearly be Delaware with the bit that should clearly be West Virginia?

All the numbered areas are Maryland's 8 congressional districts, which might be even more absurd than the shape of the state in the first place.

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Talking about crazy borders the other day, have you ever looked at Maryland and just considered it carefully?

Like, WTF? What connects the bit that should clearly be Delaware with the bit that should clearly be West Virginia?

All the numbered areas are Maryland's 8 congressional districts, which might be even more absurd than the shape of the state in the first place.

Yep looked at that during the election, Maine is as bad iirc

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The straight lines collectively form the Mason-Dixon line, which essentially was a compromise to solve an old border dispute regarding the colonial claims of Lord Baltimore and William Penn(-sylvania) (famously marking the boundry between North and South, Union and Confederacy, and free states and slave states.) The panhandle that looks like it should be (now West) Virginian simply follows the Potomac River. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

The straight lines collectively form the Mason-Dixon line, which essentially was a compromise to solve an old border dispute regarding the colonial claims of Lord Baltimore and William Penn(-sylvania) (famously marking the boundry between North and South, Union and Confederacy, and free states and slave states.) The panhandle that looks like it should be (now West) Virginian simply follows the Potomac River. 

Lovely answer! Thanks.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Michelsen said:

I knew that.   :)

(I've been there). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Might not be Maine but I was looking at the gerrymandering of congressional districtsd, not the shape of the states themselves

Republicans are masters at gerrymandering congressional districts. Dems are masters at rolling over and accepting it.

Â