Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

21 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm not English but I lived here for the last 14 years and I noticed (incoming massive generalisation warning) that English love a "widely accepted, overpriced product". Apple, Starbucks, BMW, Audi, Beats Headphones, Sky TV, Nandos, Stella, the list is endless.

There are countless better alternatives, but somehow the above just dominate the market. But why?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm not English but I lived here for the last 14 years and I noticed (incoming massive generalisation warning) that English love a "widely accepted, overpriced product". Apple, Starbucks, BMW, Audi, Beats Headphones, Sky TV, Nandos, Stella, the list is endless.

There are countless better alternatives, but somehow the above just dominate the market. But why?

Generally thick and a lack of critical thinking which in turn leads to an acceptance of what the media tells them to like and aspire to

A regulatory and tax environment (or lack thereof) that allows dominance from one or two players to crowd out meaningful competition or place smaller/more boutique/more local versions of products seems to me to be at least part of the story. 

i think kiddy is the same, greedy landlords have killed the top end of town

as for germany...thinking about it a bit more I think there is a cultural difference in enjoying things and their perception of quality that links directly to starbucks, they drink a lot of coffee here (tea is pretty shit) but I've yet to go to anyone's house and see a jar of instant coffee pulled out, my office of 400 people has about 8 machines that you feed coffee beans in at the top and get your cup, my missus has 2 coffee machines, 1 for the week and then 1 for the weekend where paper filters, saucepans and god knows what comes out and it takes around 10 minutes to make a cup, they've just done up bonn train station with 10ish retail units, not one of them is a coffee shop, had a look on the tube this morning, not one person with a paper coffee cup going to work, I don't think they do things '"on the go" if they enjoy it they will take their time with it and if they don't enjoy it they aren't going to pay a fiver for it, so im not sure the starbucks model necessarily works here, they'll want 20 minutes to sit down and drink their coffee rather than walk around town with it

that goes for the food too, there is way way less mass produced shit here, less "bargains" when it comes to food, donuts are 2eur each, probably hand made or at least some kind of hand finish, not seen a whole lot of thaw and serve style products that we have, theres hardly any packaged sandwiches available or meal deals at every shop, there are hand prepared bread rolls and there's definitely not any 5 for a quid style cheap horrible shit that is served up in england

• Like 3

On 07/05/2019 at 23:03, Mic09 said:

Absolutely. The amount of people who have the same phone and car (Apple and Audi) is disproportionate. Its like a uniform. I'll be honest I drive an Audi and have an iPhone! I'm part of the problem. They are good products but lack any uniqueness (for want of a better word). 

Its something that has dawned on me in the last few months - everyone is trying to be the same, me included I guess. Still i'll show them with my 70's muscle car and Nokia 6310 soon! 

It's good marketing, that's all.

I have a hawei phone, after 8 years of Samsung's. It's exactly the same more or less, but I went for it because the camera is much better.

I drive a Kia Sportage (we own) because it's a good sized family car, has lots of gizmos and was way cheaper than anything with a BMW, VW, Audi sticker on.  

Out of a pretty shit list of potential company cars, I chose a Renault Kajar because it's a similar size to the Kia.  Could have had a VW or a Merc but I'm not interested in it.

I do enjoy a coffee though, so I do go to chains, but there is lack of independent coffee shops I've heard anything good about.

But franchises are a sign of shit quality and the UK is swimming in them. 

Says something when a "5 guys" seems chic, new and exciting (just tastes absolutely shit).

• Like 2

I feel sorry for you lot that have no indie shops and coffee shops, it has to be said Liverpool is full of them, it's also full of the chain shit which do very well so it isn't just the lack of availability, there are huge swathes of people out there that crave the brands because of the image they think it presents of them (see my previous posts regards thick, lack of critical thinking etc)

But you want Indies, hell go to Bristol, it's absolutely full of them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I feel sorry for you lot that have no indie shops and coffee shops, it has to be said Liverpool is full of them, it's also full of the chain shit which do very well so it isn't just the lack of availability, there are huge swathes of people out there that crave the brands because of the image they think it presents of them (see my previous posts regards thick, lack of critical thinking etc)

https://www.theindiecoffee.club/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

But you want Indies, hell go to Bullmastiff Cafe, Cardiff Market. You can have a mug of tea, or you can **** off. Your choice mate.

Yeah, i have to grudgingly like a lot about Bristol to be fair.

Cardiff is quite good for indies down the arcades.

On the Island it's been almost entirely indies, and a Greggs has just opened. You just know that come the first sunny day there will be all those local businesses stood staring at the queue out of the door at Greggs.

• Like 1

Â