Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah I'm calling it BS too, can't even find our village

Definitely not enough people on my road (or at least the road I was living on at the time)

Still cool though

I love those.  Those reliefs are also why Zealandia is arguably the 8th continent, and why at some point after I left school, Australia became a continent instead of (or as well as) a country.  Australasia used to be the continent when I were a lad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The problem is capitalism. Who  'owns'  and profits from all those African resources? Not Joe Average African, that's for sure. 

Some of the problem. Nations trading with Africa include China and Russia as well as the capitalist nations of the West.

Surely the problems are more about the adequacy of the governments of the African trading nations, about corruption, about exploitation by industries, about civil wars about religious and ethnic feuds, about other exploitation, about crime.

Sorry, that's not a map.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BOF said:

I love those.  Those reliefs are also why Zealandia is arguably the 8th continent, and why at some point after I left school, Australia became a continent instead of (or as well as) a country.  Australasia used to be the continent when I were a lad.

It's not still Australasia?

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not still Australasia?

I believe the convention has reverted back to Australia or sometimes Australinea as Australasia still refers to the geographical area that includes New Zealand. Australasia is more of a political term these days not a geological one and even the definition of that varies depending upon whether you're in NZ or Aus. The Aussies include New Guinea and the New Zealanders don't

1 hour ago, BOF said:

at some point after I left school, Australia became a continent instead of (or as well as) a country.  Australasia used to be the continent when I were a lad.

That's wierd, because it was always the Continent (and Country) of Australia. Australasia was Oz, Nz and some islands n'that when I went to school in the 70s. Perhaps it'a a geographical thing and Ireland is in a different time zone to the midlands, so changed later :)

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's wierd, because it was always the Continent (and Country) of Australia. Australasia was Oz, Nz and some islands n'that when I went to school in the 70s. Perhaps it'a a geographical thing and Ireland is in a different time zone to the midlands, so changed later :)

Probably because it's all overly-complicated geographically & politically down under, unlike here.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

It was Australia when I was in School but by the time I went to Uni it was Australasia and now its gone back to Australia due to New Zealand not being part of the continent, though whether it is, in fact, the 8th continent is still being debated. The argument is currently that its either a continent, a microcontinent a continental fragment or... (never-ending list). Eventually, geologists will conclude its a continent in its own right I feel

But using the same logic India should be the 9th continent, in fact I'd argue it's case is stronger than Zealandia's.... Then there's Arabia....

EDIT: We could also lose a continent, there's not really a justification for Europe's existence separately from Asia, they sit on the same plate, they aren't even separated by water

5 hours ago, bickster said:

I believe the convention has reverted back to Australia or sometimes Australinea as Australasia still refers to the geographical area that includes New Zealand. Australasia is more of a political term these days not a geological one and even the definition of that varies depending upon whether you're in NZ or Aus. The Aussies include New Guinea and the New Zealanders don't

So what continent is New Zealand in?

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Zealandia is the current thinking and to be fair it is logical as it sits on and is formed as a result of being on a plate boundary. It's very much like Iceland in that respect

Just now, bickster said:

Zealandia is the current thinking and to be fair it is logical as it sits on and is formed as a result of being on a plate boundary. It's very much like Iceland in that respect

Isn't NZ about the same size as Britain? If they can be a continent, so can we. Another win for Brexit. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Isn't NZ about the same size as Britain? If they can be a continent, so can we. Another win for Brexit. 

We're in Eurasia that'll wind the Brexiteers up more :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

incontinent

cos its shit

(which would possibly be funny if it was actually shit, but it actually looks quite good)

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

incontinent

cos its shit

(which would possibly be funny if it was actually shit, but it actually looks quite good)

New Zealand is an awesome place, love it.

I'll also throw Oceania into the mix for that area as a term that was thrown about a lot in the 70s/80s but seems to have fallen by the wayside.

• 3 weeks later...
Â