The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

A few mentioning Sherwood will get results 'because of the bounce' as if it is almost guaranteed !

I hope it is better than the McLeish bounce or the Lambert bounce, or any of countless others in other clubs where a new manager has failed to improve the club.!

Whilst a ' bounce' CAN happen, from the position we are in now, points wise, goal wise, morale wise,and tactics wise, I think it would be more reasonable to give proper credit to the guy (should we improve).

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 4

Lol it makes me laugh that anyone thinks there's any kind of "plan" in place at the villa, particular by starting off saying "I think it's clear to see.."

What's clear to see is that the club have no idea what they're doing, have no football men in place to actual run things and the owner is simply scraping by until he can hopefully get shot of us. One thing I will say though is the marketing seems to be in place as the propaganda the club throw out seems to work on the more naieve of you.

If Lerner/Fox etc had their way Lambert would still be here but the noise was simply too much in the end and they had to bite the bullet (one week Fox is saying we should see the bigger picture, next Lamberts gone. Any sign of a plan there?)

So they then go out and pick up the first manager they can appoint without too much noise or cost and continue the craziness again, all the while Randy is hoping to get rid at the first opportunity, if we stay up as a result of the change then bonus as far as Randy is concerned.

To say there's some kind of continental management structure being put in place is stupid, the club is firefighting and making decisions on the fly. The owner wants out and until that happens there is no long term plan at this club.

We scraped a 2-1 win against a team bottom of the league and people think we're headed ina  new direction with an owner who has a plan, behave yourself. Things may well be different on here come 5pm saturday, and at the end of FA cup quarter final we could well be in meltdown again, football is a fickle old game

Sadly ...I must agree with you. I am hopeful of a few favourable results in the short term. But Sherwood was appointed out of convenience rather than some over riding masterplan

• Like 3

Lol it makes me laugh that anyone thinks there's any kind of "plan" in place at the villa, particular by starting off saying "I think it's clear to see.."

What's clear to see is that the club have no idea what they're doing, have no football men in place to actual run things and the owner is simply scraping by until he can hopefully get shot of us. One thing I will say though is the marketing seems to be in place as the propaganda the club throw out seems to work on the more naieve of you.

Ok buddy. 

• Like 3

Well its done now. So the bounce HAS to happen.

Id guess more people think we have the players to stay up than not.

It seems the manager was the thing that made them play so badly all the time, and thats what made everyone fall out over the last 3 years ;)

At this stage I couldnt really care what Sherwood does in the summer. 6 wins please.

The reason clubs get a bounce is that the players had stagnated under the previous managers then when fresh ideas come in or fear for their place they raise their game. It's a bounce because after a few games they tend to settle down to where their actual ability dictates. I think the reason most think they'll be a reaction or bounce is that we have badly underperformed this season and our players are better than where we are. Sherwood will give the players confidence to play hopefully that'll result in us getting a win which will breed more confidence. After months of negativity I will embrace any small positivite and hope for the best.

• Like 2

If Lerner/Fox etc had their way Lambert would still be here but the noise was simply too much in the end and they had to bite the bullet (one week Fox is saying we should see the bigger picture, next Lamberts gone. Any sign of a plan there?)

So they then go out and pick up the first manager they can appoint without too much noise or cost and continue the craziness again, all the while Randy is hoping to get rid at the first opportunity, if we stay up as a result of the change then bonus as far as Randy is concerned.

To say there's some kind of continental management structure being put in place is stupid, the club is firefighting and making decisions on the fly. The owner wants out and until that happens there is no long term plan at this club.

We scraped a 2-1 win against a team bottom of the league and people think we're headed ina  new direction with an owner who has a plan, behave yourself. Things may well be different on here come 5pm saturday, and at the end of FA cup quarter final we could well be in meltdown again, football is a fickle old game

Sadly ...I must agree with you. I am hopeful of a few favourable results in the short term. But Sherwood was appointed out of convenience rather than some over riding masterplan

I like to think, because the minimum I would expect, that some thought with Tom fox went along the lines of "oh shit, we're in the mire and we need to change this up before we're relegated".  Then this though went on to drilling candidates with the specifics of the job at hand (not getting relegated) and after assessing the options to get us out of the mire, came up with the new manager who'd put forward the best case...

In reality, I fear what you're saying is probably more likely to be the real truth.

It's almost March, we're in 18th place. As long as Sherwood helps keep us up, I'm happy. What comes next comes next, we can cross that bridge then. All signs are positive right now at our lowest point in years, so he's managed to turn the mood on it's head in a matter of days, which is great. I hope it has lasting and observable effects. I can't help but think there will be some sort of implosion at some point, but not the rest of the way this season.

UTV

although i could go back further with this, ill only go back as to martin o'neill

everyone thought he was the saviour when he came in, the knight in shining armour who was going to get us back into europe, and with a brand new chairman willing to invest, it was looking good, until MON starting buying questionable players who clearly werent going to get us into europe

so with that, once bit, lerner tightened the purse strings with houllier and mcleish who couldnt work in them condition (all managers are check book managers nowadays) plus thye fact nobody wanted mcleish

then on long came lambert, who most villa fans saw as the second coming another saviour for this club, a young dynamic manager with new footballing ideas... lol, erm, ye sure, questionable buys and questionable tactics shows that he needs a few more years mananging lower league teams

and now sherwood, comes with the same level of experience as lambert, but with the reputation of oneill...

this is going to be messy!

The OP was pretty much right in what it said.

Sherwood is probably a cheaper option and happy to work within a budget just to get his foot in the managerial door.

Big gamble by Lerner and Co and, if we were to go down as a result, will be a load of people saying that he got what he was asking for!

Lerner will face a torrent of abuse if we go down due to his "fresh approach" idea not working.

This post is wrong on so many levels, i couldn't disagree more

• Like 1

I've only just got round to watching the full press conference after the Leicester game, and he really does talk with a lot of confidence.

He wasn't my first choice, but I can definitely see the benefits of hiring a 'motivator' instead of an out-and-out tactician. If the players can take on some of his confidence, and buy into what he says, then I think we'll win games, he'll keep us up and he could (could!) be a good manager for us moving forward.

He said in the press conference that he hopes to be at Villa for as long as he was at Spurs (in total, not his 4 months as a manager), so if he can develop the other sides of management (tactics/ transfers/ man management) then we could have a good guy in charge.

UTV!

Sherwood was appointed because he was available and he was clearly the man we wanted as a club. As for no plan. well we have a new CEO, a new CCO, a new structure in terms of player recruitment, a new manager, a new 1st team coch and we will also have a new assistant manager shortly. Doesnt exactly sound like there is no plan at the club. In fact it sounds finally like we are getting our house in order for once after years of complete mayhem under Lambert/Faulkner/Lerner.

• Like 1

I hope and think that Sherwood will work out for us but, if he doesn't, nobody can argue that he was a gamble. A man with a few months managerial experience and with no experience (managerially) of a relegation battle. He also has no experience in the transfer market, regardless of whether we stay up or not. He hasn't cost us any compensation to get in and has history of working with younger players. It all points to a cheaper option that Lerner has chosen and that's how people will see this whether Sherwood is a success or not.

If Sherwood keeps us up and gets us improving he will look like an inspired choice by Lerner but, to many people, he (Lerner) would have just got lucky. But, if Sherwood fails, there's going to be many, many people saying "I told you so" and blame Lerner for taking the cheaper option.

Sherwood was never my first choice but, like I said before, I don't know who I wanted. I guess I would have liked someone with more management experience, especially given our current league position. But, Sherwood is here now and has my full support. I want him to prove to us that he was the right choice, even if it does make Lerner look like he knows what he was doing. I really hope Sherwood can turn this team around and get us playing some decent football and winning games. Even if Sherwood turns out to be great for us, Lerner still took a gamble with our league status and, you could possibly say, our future as a football club.

• Like 1

The way I see it is that every appointment is a big risk, you never know how well they do with the players and the staff in the club. Just look at McClaren, he did well with Middlesbrough Twente MK1, shit with Wolfsburg, shit with Nottingham Forest, Shit with Twente Mk2 and he's doing great with Derby.

We'll just have to wait and see how Sherwood does with our club and the players, but at least it can't get any worse than under Lambert, that much is IMO certain. We were heading for certain relegation and I think and hope that Sherwood will save us, at least we now have chance.

For those who glamour after Pulis, he'd been good or even great choice for the remaining 13 games but what after that? He'd be MON Mk 2, we'd never raise above tenth place.

It's almost March, we're in 18th place. As long as Sherwood helps keep us up, I'm happy.

At this point, I don't think anyone would disagree with this sentiment.  I'll be over the moon - just for staying up.

My biggest fear is not even about going down, it's not coming back up again....we'll be a busted flush.

In an ideal world, we do enough to keep us up and then sherwood has much more time and an even keel to ply his trade in the new season where I wouldn't be worried about him trying out new and fresh ideas. 

#thewestyconspiracy #gotyouwobbling

Why would anyone be wobbling right now ?

Under Lambert we were 100% going down, under Sherwood we at least have a chance.

All I care about right now is getting enough points so we don't go down, nothing else matters until then.

I'm hopeful that Fox/Sherwood is a lot better than Faulkner/Lambert but right now I'll just take Sherwood being better than Lambert.

What Sherwood brings is positivity. Positivity amongst the fan base and the players. This is so important in football. Not a long term fix but certainly enough for us to have a good chance of staying up. I still have my reservations long term though.

Â