The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Genuine question, those who want Sherwood gone, how many points would it take to from the next five daunting games (Chelsea, Swansea, Spurs, Man City and Everton) to give him a stay of execution? 

6 or 7 points? Or are you past that and of the opinion that we could get 5 decent results and you'd still want him gone?

A very good question. Given those games 5 points would be enough for me to buy him extra time, even 4 would be a reasonable return. 

Unfortunately even that number of points is likely to leave us a long way adrift which is why I think we need to act now.

I think if we aren't more than 4 or 5 pts adrift by christmas we can still get enough points in the second half of the season to stay up. Its not ideal, but with a completely new squad, it was always going to take time for Sherwood to work out his best team, and tactics and for the team to gel. Ok he tried something different saturday to get the service to Gestede but it backfired. Hopefully he learns from that and actually gets back to the formation we had at Leicester when we played so well first half.

We're already 4 points adrift now with our easy fixtures done.

• Like 1

The absolute last thing we need is to replace Sherwood with a guy with no track record because of his record as a player.

Viera might be a great manager but we are in no position to gamble to find out.

We really need a manager with proven premiership experience. No more gambles on up and coming managers, managers with one good season or anybody whose managed well in other leagues. I'm not asking to be shot up the league, just somebody who'd instill some stability, who'd make us at least hard to beat. As opposed to being the team everybody wants to play against.

Di Mateo?

nobody can say whats an easy fixture and what isn't anymore. 

It's relative isn't it?

Our first 8 fixtures are objectively easier than Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Swansea, Arsenal.

The excuses are getting thinner and thinner.

If we have two managers who were just as good, one with Premier League experience and the other with none. Then you choose the one with experience. We should try to appoint the best manager available. With all respect to Sam Allardyce but its not him.

Another way to put it about PL-experience. Anybody more than me who would swap Sherwood with Quique Sanchez Flores?

Genuine question, those who want Sherwood gone, how many points would it take to from the next five daunting games (Chelsea, Swansea, Spurs, Man City and Everton) to give him a stay of execution? 

6 or 7 points? Or are you past that and of the opinion that we could get 5 decent results and you'd still want him gone?

A very good question. Given those games 5 points would be enough for me to buy him extra time, even 4 would be a reasonable return. 

Unfortunately even that number of points is likely to leave us a long way adrift which is why I think we need to act now.

I think if we aren't more than 4 or 5 pts adrift by christmas we can still get enough points in the second half of the season to stay up. Its not ideal, but with a completely new squad, it was always going to take time for Sherwood to work out his best team, and tactics and for the team to gel. Ok he tried something different saturday to get the service to Gestede but it backfired. Hopefully he learns from that and actually gets back to the formation we had at Leicester when we played so well first half.

But we're 4 points adrift now. We have a horrible run of games coming, we're be lucky to only be 10 adrift by Christmas. 

Very depressing, isn't it? The excitement of the summer, all the hope for attacking, fluid football and a cozy mid table finish has all been totally decimated by the manager. Incredible. We really deserve better than this continual torturous river of shit.

We've played eight games, won one, and narrowly lost the others with a new team and a new manager. Doesn't seem especially incredible to me.

Except he doesn't seem to be learning or accepting he's making any mistakes. It may be the case he's slowing learning the job but were not in the position to be taking risks like that.

If we have two managers who were just as good, one with Premier League experience and the other with none. Then you choose the one with experience. We should try to appoint the best manager available. With all respect to Sam Allardyce but its not him.

Another way to put it about PL-experience. Anybody more than me who would swap Sherwood with Quique Sanchez Flores?

Flores really wanted the Villa job after Martin O'Neill left he made it clear via the press.

Shame as he is a very good manager!!

Edited by Villan4Life

If Sherwood walks or is sacked the best 2 choices would be either Murat Yakin or Lucien Favre.

Both are very good managers and are known for bringing through youth and their team's play good football.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

Nope, just speculation. If I was on that team, I'd be seriously doubting his acumen at this point.

Good. Nothing wrong with doubting the manager. I actually think being pissed off at Sherwood would count as a healthy sign from the team,  but I fear we're not there yet. Still too many new faces, too callow.

"Losing the locker room" doesn't necessary mean that Sherwood would be out either. It could lead to a healthy airing of grievances. 

I doubt there's enough of a sense of unified grievance, personally.

I don't know if the team is gelled enough, and these kinds of revolts also require leadership from someone.

And that someone would be ...???????  

(Still, yeah, Gil must be wondering wtf. I wonder what transpired between them.)

Edited by Plastic Man

The man who you have let spend 45 million quid in the last window

I keep seeing this number being thrown about like it's a lot of money.  Manchester City spent that on Sterling. More than that on De Bruyne. Almost that on Otamendi.

Spending £45m now is like spending £12m when O'Neill took over.

When was the last time we spent 45 million in a transfer window?

Ages ago? Have we ever? I don't know. That doesn't make it a large amount of money, and doesn't justify keeping on a failing manager.

For what it's worth I think he's spent the money well. He just can't organise a team.

Except he doesn't seem to be learning or accepting he's making any mistakes. It may be the case he's slowing learning the job but were not in the position to be taking risks like that.

I don't think that's true at all. Losing these games doesn't mean he or the team aren't learning. That's not how learning always works. Learning can be holistic and cyclical. There's no doubt the team is getting better. You don't think Sherwood has anything to do with that?

Â