The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Surrounding himself with experienced heads kind of shows an acknowledgement of the areas he lacks himself. Which shows intelligence, professionalism, and also shows he's maybe not quite as arrogant as he sometimes comes across.

Those are some of the area of Tim's management that worried me, so I'm delighted with the team he is building.

I came here to post something similar but you've absolutely nailed it.

You don't appoint someone like Wilkins if you don't want to listen to others.

Shrewd appointment it really is.

• Like 3

Went to an audience with him a few years ago and he is very knowledgeable about Football.  I've never liked the guy though.

He isn't particularly likable, in fact he can be quite annoying at times.

But as a coach he has amazing experience and is used to a level of performance and professionalism that you would imagine is above that often seen from Villa players down the years. Unlike Keane though I'd imagine he is better suited to dealing with that.

• Like 3

.....confident people can be seen as unlikable in some quarters

Ron Saunders didn't have the personality of Peter Kay either.

we need some nous near the grass.

I'm confused now coz I can't stand Peter Kay but always enjoyed listening to Sir Ron.......

Anyways....fwiw for success I think likeability in the short run ( why so many assistant managers do OK when the boss is sacked) but for the long run it has to be respected with a little dash of intimidated, although the latter can come from the boss.

Anyhows a good appointment.

• Like 1

I'm confused now coz I can't stand Peter Kay but always enjoyed listening to Sir Ron.......

Anyways....fwiw for success I think likeability in the short run ( why so many assistant managers do OK when the boss is sacked) but for the long run it has to be respected with a little dash of intimidated, although the latter can come from the boss.

Anyhows a good appointment.

I would wager Terry you are in the Minority

I too was a big Ron Fan ( and Tony Barton)  but when it comes to personality, sorry Peter Kay for me.

Went to an audience with him a few years ago and he is very knowledgeable about Football.  I've never liked the guy though.

He isn't particularly likable, in fact he can be quite annoying at times.

But as a coach he has amazing experience and is used to a level of performance and professionalism that you would imagine is above that often seen from Villa players down the years. Unlike Keane though I'd imagine he is better suited to dealing with that.

Yep, think he'll be good with the young players in our squad aswell, he's always struck me as an arm around the shoulders type coach which Keane obviously wasn't.

I like him - when he played for Chelsea and was taking a corner the Holte End gave him some banter and he laughed and waved at them - we were all singing 'No Hair the geezers got no hair' and he loved it - AND he bigs up Villa - he is just what we need - as already said - he know more about football in his right testicle than any fan on here.

We are getting the back room team sorted and then the on pitch team will start taking shape.

• Like 1

Interesting to read in transfer threads people speculating we are spending Delph/ Benteke money.

That may turn out to be the case but may not. I think it is significant that Sherwood has said on numerous occasions " we won't be in this position again ". I suspect he was in a pretty good bargaining position when taken on, given our precarious position, and he doesn't strike me as a fool. Almost certainly part of the deal would've been " if I keep us up I want XYZ next season.

Allied to the fact that the wages have been cut back a fair whack now, and that Randy has had pretty clear evidence of what lies in store if we try to do it on the cheap, it could well be that a decent kitty was already guaranteed. If do, money from any sales will be a bonus.

• Like 2

Interesting to read in transfer threads people speculating we are spending Delph/ Benteke money.

That may turn out to be the case but may not. I think it is significant that Sherwood has said on numerous occasions " we won't be in this position again ". I suspect he was in a pretty good bargaining position when taken on, given our precarious position, and he doesn't strike me as a fool. Almost certainly part of the deal would've been " if I keep us up I want XYZ next season.

Allied to the fact that the wages have been cut back a fair whack now, and that Randy has had pretty clear evidence of what lies in store if we try to do it on the cheap, it could well be that a decent kitty was already guaranteed. If do, money from any sales will be a bonus.

Anyone who says we are spending Benteke, Delph money are the usual doom mongers IMO. There is no evidence to support this. Sherwood already said he was going to get rid of a lot players so surely was told he had funds to replace them.

• Like 3

Anyone who says we are spending Benteke, Delph money are the usual doom mongers IMO. There is no evidence to support this. Sherwood already said he was going to get rid of a lot players so surely was told he had funds to replace them.

But I'm sure we have already sold Delph, Benteke, The North Stand, the tea lady and jack's shin pads. How else would we be able to afford anything?

With such a short managerial career meaning he had never signed a player, that was one area of intrique.

Richards and Gueye (if that comes off) is a promising start.

Edited by av1

If we are spending the Delph / benteke money , on what? Who have we bought ?

I'm surprised people have jumped to that conclusion considering that at the end of this season were about to get nearly double the broadcasting money - spend a bit more to stay in the division, and earn it all back and then some.

• Like 1

If you were a player I'd imagine that Tim Sherwood is precisely the kind of manager you want to meet when you walk into the club for the first time.

Jury is still out of course, we've only signed one player so far, but I speculate that he will have pulling power.

• Like 1

If you were a player I'd imagine that Tim Sherwood is precisely the kind of manager you want to meet when you walk into the club for the first time.

Jury is still out of course, we've only signed one player so far, but I speculate that he will have pulling power.

Probably when he meets a player he impresses them with his win record

cant not sign for him after that 

• Like 3

Â