The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

If he can build on the Richards transfer I. Terms of quality and experience I'll accept I was very wrong over my misgivings about his ability to identify top talent.

Well done Tim.

If he can build on the Richards transfer I. Terms of quality and experience I'll accept I was very wrong over my misgivings about his ability to identify top talent.

Well done Tim.

TBF identifying Richards wasn't rocket science but getting him to sign shows promise for the future especially if Sunderland did offer more money.

• Like 1

Classic villatalk.

I've got no evidence that the manager is going to do X.

But if he did it would in my opinion be a bad thing.

So I'm going to criticise him for it even though...

I've got no evidence that the manager is going to do X.

But if....etc.

(This has been known to go on for days if not weeks)

Years. The catastrophising is at times relentless.

• Like 2

So this 3-5-2 talk...interesting Sherwood didn't play it in any game in the run in but maybe this is what he was on about different systems when we're safe.

I wonder if it could morph into something like 3-4-2-1 so he could still play two number 10s in that formation although not sure how the 4 would work in central midfield.

We do look more solid at the back when we play that, it was excellent in the Man. United home game for example.

Think I'd stick with the 4-3-2-1 myself but with a better player than Gabby/N'zogbia in one of the forward positions and better players at the back.

IN fairness he tried a system vs Burnley which was a bit different 

I thought losing at home was pretty consistent....just being facetious :(

Edited by TRO

The manager deserves time.

At the very least he should get a full season but no doubt the knives will be out by September 1st.

I think he knows we have been too weak as a team.

He needs to find strong players to give us that bit of durability for the nifty players to play off them

The likes of Jack Grealish need a platform to play off, not to worry about going back deep for the ball....but to be around the throats of the opposition,where he is most effective.

We need a much stronger defence and that is not JUST defenders

• Like 2

I think he knows we have been too weak as a team.

He needs to find strong players to give us that bit of durability for the nifty players to play off them

The likes of Jack Grealish need a platform to play off, not to worry about going back deep for the ball....but to be around the throats of the opposition,where he is most effective.

We need a much stronger defence and that is not JUST defenders

Very much so.

As a pal of ol' candleface he could do worse than how he put a lot of athletic, powerful,yet still skillful, players into the Portsmouth side for example.

Although without bankrupting us of course.

The league has changed but we are still desperately short of one or two Allan Evans, Ken Mcnaughts, Bremners, McGrath's,Mortimer's and even Townsend's.

We have a fair bit of skill but need some real mental and physical toughness ( as indeed Sherwood pointed out almost immediately).

• Like 1

At the very least he should get a full season but no doubt the knives will be out by September 1st.

no way, we lose a pre-season friendly they will have a Sherwood out thread

• Like 2

Would it be as quick as you were to want MON for Ireland though?

Would it be as quick as you were to want MON for Ireland though?

Well he hasnt done a thing to prove me wrong as Ireland manager the **** word removed ;)

I agree that he deserve time but you have to take into consideration the long term ramifications of signings.

It's been years and we're still paying Given and N'Zogbia, signed by McLeish, enormous (for us) amounts each week. Richards could easily be consigned to that pile.

I'd argue that they've been holding us back in the transfer market for years. 

Irresponsible, bad decisions now could cost us for years to come. 

• Like 1

4-2-3-1 for me

but more importantly....the right players to make it work well.

We have no combative central midfielders, no naturally wide players, and if you do move someone like Grealish wide, apart from Gil we don't have anyone for the middle.

You're right about having the right players to make it work well but we're not close to that and so it's not really a formation that we can implement successfully.

I agree that he deserve time but you have to take into consideration the long term ramifications of signings.

It's been years and we're still paying Given and N'Zogbia, signed by McLeish, enormous (for us) amounts each week. Richards could easily be consigned to that pile.

I'd argue that they've been holding us back in the transfer market for years. 

Irresponsible, bad decisions now could cost us for years to come.

At some point you have to pay big wages and fees. Out of the 2 you've mentioned only one I wouldn't have done at the time and that Given. No sell on and massive wages when we could've kept Friedel who retired this summer!! Nzogbia seemed like a good signing at the time but with hindsight hasn't need anywhere near value for money. If you're looking at Richards he ticks all the boxes for us. He has something to prove he has proven quality he's young and still has potential. It may not come off but you can't stop trying because we made mistakes in the past.

• Like 1

4-2-3-1 for me

but more importantly....the right players to make it work well.

We have no combative central midfielders, no naturally wide players, and if you do move someone like Grealish wide, apart from Gil we don't have anyone for the middle.

You're right about having the right players to make it work well but we're not close to that and so it's not really a formation that we can implement successfully.

Sinclair Grealish Nzogbia and Gil currently can play wide and TBF they could all play centrally with maybe Sinclair the weakest. We need a squad so we can play varying formations. Our problem has been under PL we were a counter attacking side that was crap at home we need to keep that but develop a style for VP.

Â