The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Vardy for 15mil, Clark to West Brom, Micah Richards... Massively worrying rumours. Have we been linked to any good transfer moves besides selling Lowton and Weimann?

Don't forget the two Swindon lads who turned us down because they didn't feel they were good enough for the premier league.

Vardy for 15mil, Clark to West Brom, Micah Richards... Massively worrying rumours. Have we been linked to any good transfer moves besides selling Lowton and Weimann?

Villa don't do transfers in the press, rumours are exactly that, nothing worrying whatsoever

Indeed, there does seem to be a bit of substance to the Richards rumours and I think he would be a good signing. As for Vardy and Clark leaving, nothing but wild rumours. 

Couldn't disagree more. From the short spell we've seen under him, he's set us up to play better football, got players performing better and brought out the best in our most important player. That wasn't done because he got them working harder through motivation, its from the way the team have been set up and the way they've approached games tactically IMO.

Awful: Southampton, Arsenal

Poor:

Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, QPR, Burnley, Man United.

Good: Everton, West Brom x2, West Ham

Very good: Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Sunderland

I think the performances under him are split, as above.

From your poor list, Stoke and Newcastle were two games without any of his coaches having had chance to work with the players. And I didn't think Swansea was too bad, thought we deserved a draw. And QPR wasn't tactically poor, we looked like we were going to score every single time we attacked. The problem was Richardson and other defenders had a mare.

I'll stick with my original point. The good performances were not just down to motivation IMO.

• Like 1

Don't forget the two Swindon lads who turned us down because they didn't feel they were good enough for the premier league.

Worrying times. Apart from the one nailed on signing we're actually making. But yes, very worrying if we go by paper gossip and rumour.

• Like 1

Afaik Luongo deal was real the player confirmed it himself and Sherwood was scouting him and was seen at the games, this wasn't paper gossip. He preferred QPR as he didn't think he would play much here.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

Afaik Luongo deal was real the player confirmed it himself and Sherwood was scouting him and was seen at the games, this wasn't paper gossip. He preferred QPR as he didn't think he would play much here.

Not sure he confirmed it was us but even so, I don't find that worrying for us one bit.

I understand what you're saying Mark but this is Villa and this is the unknown - experience tells us to be fear it and be worried, especially in the last few years. 

There's nothing wrong with being both appreciative that Sherwood kept us up but also doubtful that he'll make the right signings. 

IIRC it was actually the other player that said he thought it was a step to far. Did Luongo also say that as well?

Not sure about step too far but this is from Luongo

Luongo, who played a pivotal part in the Socceroos’ triumph at the Asian Cup in January, scoring in the final on the way to being named player of the tournament, is relishing the move to Loftus Road, commenting: “Regular football is important to me. That’s why QPR appealed to me. I’m at my best when I’m playing week in, week out – I’m all for playing as many games as possible in a season.

http://mobile.qpr.co.uk//news/article/massimo-luongo-joins-qpr-from-swindon-town-2474048.aspx At a guess I'd imagine we offered a squad role not a starter role.
  • Like 1

Not sure about step too far but this is from Luongo

Luongo, who played a pivotal part in the Socceroos’ triumph at the Asian Cup in January, scoring in the final on the way to being named player of the tournament, is relishing the move to Loftus Road, commenting: “Regular football is important to me. That’s why QPR appealed to me. I’m at my best when I’m playing week in, week out – I’m all for playing as many games as possible in a season.

http://mobile.qpr.co.uk//news/article/massimo-luongo-joins-qpr-from-swindon-town-2474048.aspx At a guess I'd imagine we offered a squad role not a starter role.

Ah, fair enough. The other player did say he thought it was a step to far in his career but I hadn't seen those comments from Luongo.  Cheers.

No other club was linked to him in the premier league, it was us. Hardly the definition of a winner that we are targeting anyway.

just because wasnt linked doesnt mean their wasnt interest

• Like 1

No other club was linked to him in the premier league, it was us. Hardly the definition of a winner that we are targeting anyway.

just because wasnt linked doesnt mean their wasnt interest

And just because someone is linked doesnt mean there is

Just signing English players is a worry. Look how rubbish the England national team are, and we won't even be signing the so-called cream of crop.

Who says we are going to?

No one specifically, but the warning signs are there, I don't thin it's an often expressed concern for nothing. If we go down that route, I fear we are going to have a very low ceiling

What warning signs?? Think you're making a mountain of a mole hill. The transfer window isn't officially open yet, sherwood hasn't been in charge of club during a transfer window before. Just because the odd couple of rumours have been English players doesn't mean that sherwood has got a dossier of foreign players who he wants to sign.

• Like 2

I didn't say that he was definitely going to sign only English players just that it's a worrying thought. In a recent interview Sherwood talked about the influx of foreigners into the Premier league, and in the very next sentence spoke of there being too many losers in the game today, seemed to me like he was making a link between the two.

Also there are a few interviews with him before he signed where he bemoaned the lack of chances given to young English players because of foreign talent. Plus the media might not get every link right but they often have a general idea.

Edited by useless

Â