The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I agree that he deserve time but you have to take into consideration the long term ramifications of signings.

It's been years and we're still paying Given and N'Zogbia, signed by McLeish, enormous (for us) amounts each week. Richards could easily be consigned to that pile.

I'd argue that they've been holding us back in the transfer market for years. 

Irresponsible, bad decisions now could cost us for years to come.

At some point you have to pay big wages and fees. Out of the 2 you've mentioned only one I wouldn't have done at the time and that Given. No sell on and massive wages when we could've kept Friedel who retired this summer!! Nzogbia seemed like a good signing at the time but with hindsight hasn't need anywhere near value for money. If you're looking at Richards he ticks all the boxes for us. He has something to prove he has proven quality he's young and still has potential. It may not come off but you can't stop trying because we made mistakes in the past.

I'm not against paying good wages, I'm against giving that sort of money to be people that are far from a sure thing. 

Richards is not proven quality, he's an unknown quantity if anything because he's barely played in years. 

I agree that he deserve time but you have to take into consideration the long term ramifications of signings.

It's been years and we're still paying Given and N'Zogbia, signed by McLeish, enormous (for us) amounts each week. Richards could easily be consigned to that pile.

At some point you have to pay big wages and fees. Out of the 2 you've mentioned only one I wouldn't have done at the time and that Given. No sell on and massive wages when we could've kept Friedel who retired this summer!! Nzogbia seemed like a good signing at the time but with hindsight hasn't need anywhere near value for money. If you're looking at Richards he ticks all the boxes for us. He has something to prove he has proven quality he's young and still has potential. It may not come off but you can't stop trying because we made mistakes in the past.

I'm not against paying good wages, I'm against giving that sort of money to be people that are far from a sure thing.

Richards is not proven quality, he's an unknown quantity if anything because he's barely played in years.

Richards has proven quality the unknown quantity is he hasn't played much but whilst at City that was because of Zabaleta being the best RB in the country and then in Italy them changing the formation so he didn't play much. He isn't injury prone. We will struggle to get top quality players who've been stars of late because of where we've finished in the last few years so we will have to gamble a little. Richards is a gamble but a very small one IMO.

Edited by dn1982
  • Like 1

4-2-3-1 for me

but more importantly....the right players to make it work well.

We have no combative central midfielders, no naturally wide players, and if you do move someone like Grealish wide, apart from Gil we don't have anyone for the middle.

You're right about having the right players to make it work well but we're not close to that and so it's not really a formation that we can implement successfully.

Sinclair Grealish Nzogbia and Gil currently can play wide and TBF they could all play centrally with maybe Sinclair the weakest. We need a squad so we can play varying formations. Our problem has been under PL we were a counter attacking side that was crap at home we need to keep that but develop a style for VP.

Nzog can't cross and showed his best form (for Wigan) playing centrally or as a striker. Sinclair too was at his best in the Championship playing as a forward and Gil, well I like him but he doesn't have the pace to play wide in a 4231, not without pace in the full back or central attacker positions. I would play him there though as he has the talent to make space, I'd definitely prefer him behind the striker. I just think we need at least one natural winger at the club and especially in a 4231.

Definitely agree with variation though, we desperately need(ed) it and Lambo added very little in that respect.

I said a long time ago Nzog either keeps his head up, plays in the middle or doesn't come anywhere near the squad, At least he's kept his head up even if he sometimes looks lost.

Sinclair is enigmatic, sometimes I think he can be superb but all too often he looks on the cusp of doing something great only to give an average performance but a good impact. (that's not so bad either).

I would still sign someone who takes control of midfield and another player who like Albrighton knows how to go wide and put a ball in, of course we could do better than Marc but those players are out there, wide players are not dead in the modern game they just need to be good at reading a defender to create some space.

4-2-3-1 for me

but more importantly....the right players to make it work well.

We have no combative central midfielders, no naturally wide players, and if you do move someone like Grealish wide, apart from Gil we don't have anyone for the middle.

You're right about having the right players to make it work well but we're not close to that and so it's not really a formation that we can implement successfully.

Sinclair Grealish Nzogbia and Gil currently can play wide and TBF they could all play centrally with maybe Sinclair the weakest. We need a squad so we can play varying formations. Our problem has been under PL we were a counter attacking side that was crap at home we need to keep that but develop a style for VP.

Nzog can't cross and showed his best form (for Wigan) playing centrally or as a striker. Sinclair too was at his best in the Championship playing as a forward and Gil, well I like him but he doesn't have the pace to play wide in a 4231, not without pace in the full back or central attacker positions. I would play him there though as he has the talent to make space, I'd definitely prefer him behind the striker. I just think we need at least one natural winger at the club and especially in a 4231.

Definitely agree with variation though, we desperately need(ed) it and Lambo added very little in that respect.

I said a long time ago Nzog either keeps his head up, plays in the middle or doesn't come anywhere near the squad, At least he's kept his head up even if he sometimes looks lost.

Sinclair is enigmatic, sometimes I think he can be superb but all too often he looks on the cusp of doing something great only to give an average performance but a good impact. (that's not so bad either).

I would still sign someone who takes control of midfield and another player who like Albrighton knows how to go wide and put a ball in, of course we could do better than Marc but those players are out there, wide players are not dead in the modern game they just need to be good at reading a defender to create some space.

I agree I think we have wide forwards were as we need a couple of wingers or at least one who can cross well from out wide. Benteke scores off of crap chooses ATM get that service better he'd be even better!

Micah Richards has signed and lots of rumours about Andros Townsend.

That's actually about 1000 times more interesting than what I was expecting

and Jack Grealish did the most shameful thing in all humanity

Yeah I did see that. What a load of old shite.

have to respect no messing about from him early on. We have kept on players for too long that werent playing or up to scratch and credit he is start getting rid of players early in window that he doesnt rate

• Like 1

and Jack Grealish did the most shameful thing in all humanity

......Got caught.

have to respect no messing about from him early on. We have kept on players for too long that werent playing or up to scratch and credit he is start getting rid of players early in window that he doesnt rate

.....and in most cases nor do we.

Yeah - getting rid of players thats the way forward - well done Timmy Sherwood keep it up mate.

Yeah - getting rid of players thats the way forward - well done Timmy Sherwood keep it up mate.

Should he not have done that? Should we keep rubbish players that have kept us down their for 3 years?

• Like 1

He also must be backed financially if confident of replacing them.

It does make sense though, clears the wage bill and brings in some money.

Richards has proven quality the unknown quantity is he hasn't played much but whilst at City that was because of Zabaleta being the best RB in the country and then in Italy them changing the formation so he didn't play much. He isn't injury prone. We will struggle to get top quality players who've been stars of late because of where we've finished in the last few years so we will have to gamble a little. Richards is a gamble but a very small one IMO.

While I agree with most of this, Man City also bought Bacary Sagna who ended up before Richards in the pecking order at RB, and Demichelis who did the same at CB.

Richards has a lot to prove, hopefully this is something that works in our favor.

Sherwood mentioned streamlining the squad recently didn't he? Don't think he'll necessarily be trying to replace all of the guys he's let go. There's a big chunk of wages freed up with those guys that have left though. Lowton and Weimann would have been relatively big earners as they both signed new deals under Lambert.

If the wages of those six or seven players were split between two new first teamers we'd be able to go for real quality.

• Like 1

Â