The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Hasn't Tom Fox already said that we'll be against any "for English" policy and we plan to continue our use of scouting Europe? I believe it was when he was questioned about a new policy being introduced where you have to include a set amount of English academy players or something.

Edited by samjp26

It's not irrelevant and pointless though, any team who limits themselves to English players is going to struggle.

precisely and it's hardly value for money either and also limits you severely on a market that has a small pool of players that are premier league level. He would have to be very naive and almost stupid to limit himself to one market, equally the club for following it. Can't see it myself, surely a premier league manager wouldn't be that silly.

It's not irrelevant and pointless though, any team who limits themselves to English players is going to struggle.

Ok

Edited by jim
  • Like 2

Tim has to grow... but that will take time. He knowledge is English players. Bring in a French manager and guess what you get... players form France. I'm not worried for this summer (actually I think I am but in denial). I am just praying for an improvement next season no matter who he buys which at least seems to be proven players. Maybe not super stars but players that should make us better.

• Like 1

I didn't say that he was definitely going to sign only English players just that it's a worrying thought. In a recent interview Sherwood talked about the influx of foreigners into the Premier league, and in the very next sentence spoke of there being too many losers in the game today, seemed to me like he was making a link between the two.

Also there are a few interviews with him before he signed where he bemoaned the lack of chances given to young English players because of foreign talent. Plus the media might not get every link right but they often have a general idea.

I don't share your belief that Sherwood has intimated he would go down an all English signing path or believe 99% of the crap spouted in the press.

I do though imagine we will sign somewhere between around 5 and 8 players over the summer. I am almost certain they will be a mixture of nationalities from with in the English leagues and abroad. However I do also know that if Sherwood did go the all English route there are enough English players, of a high enough standard, who we could attract that would dramatically improve us so in that regard I'd have absolutely no problem with it.

To put it bluntly I really couldn't give two monkeys if the players we sign come from Barcelona or Bloxwich. What matters most is that the players we sign improve us and fit into the system that the current manager wants to employ. Time spent worrying about what nationality they are is wasted time, totally irrelevant and absolutely pointless.

I just want to see a bit more consistency of good performance from the players....on their day they can be capable....too many bad days

.....but surely,,it's not where they come from......but what they do.

• Like 1

I think he's a similar character who also relies more on motivational techniques becaus of a lack of tactical nouse , although I'd say sherwood has slightly more tactical nouse than di canio . Sherwood is in that mould of manager, in my humble opinion of course.

This is largely my thinking too.  My concern is that he might ultimately prove to have exactly the same tactical nous as di Canio.  But as he is still a relative unknown in the management game I am hoping he proves that not to be the case.

I do not think TS is as volatile or confrontational as Di Canio, I would say he is more like Poyet (getting Sunderland to a cup final and keeping them up) or Stuart Pearce. But we will see, I think our Tim may pleasantly surprise us. 

I think he's a similar character who also relies more on motivational techniques becaus of a lack of tactical nouse , although I'd say sherwood has slightly more tactical nouse than di canio . Sherwood is in that mould of manager, in my humble opinion of course.

This is my thinking too. My concern is that he will ultimately prove to have exactly the same tactical nouse as di Canio. But as he is still a relative unknown in the management game I am hoping he proves that not to be the case.
Small point, important to some: it's "nous" not "nouse".

(Leaving to one side the bigger point about the absurdity of comparing Sherwood to di Canio)

• Like 1

Whilst the proof of a good manager is always judged by results, I think TS understands that providing good football & entertainment is paramount. Its always a fine line but to achieve this, history dictates that you require a balance between youth, experience, quality & commitment. He will need time to build the squad to those values & In my opinion we should be patient & see what players are actually signed, not what these crappy newspaper reporters keep filling their pages with links that are not there.

• Like 2

Â