The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood has done an excellent job so far. We were a certainty for the drop three months ago. He's turned it around with no transfer window and got us playing some very good football.

Shows how are we've come, people calling that performance average.

Average ?

I heard nobody talk like that at the game and haven't seen any comment like that in this thread ?

Had we not been in such a mess when he took over, it would still have been above average.....given had one save to make, some of our football, particularly first half, was excellent, and we looked dangerous regularly.

Given that we were in fact in a mess, it should be seen in that context, and as such considerably above average.

My god it doesn't take much for fans to raise their demands if that is now average !

I said we were average today, and I still think so. This wasn't our best game at all.

However, my main point was that it's a sign of a good team when they can win even with an average performance like today.

Well fair enough if that's how you saw it, but for me while I agree it wasn't our best game, and also agree that being so the victory in many ways means more, and tells us more,I can't call that performance average. First half, IMO, we played some really good football. We dominated possession, meaningfully too for the most part, defended well, and our midfield were everywhere.

Compared to god knows how many other of our games, and a season full of other matches on sky, I would class it as above average.

I would put our performances against Newcastle, stoke, and Swansea as average.

Anyway, I do agree that a 1-0 with some fight and grit is a good sign.

FACT: Villa have now won as many league matches (5) under Sherwood as they did under Lambert (5) up to the point he was sacked.

To be fair, Lambert also won 2 FA Cup games in that time. (Though Sherwood - including Leicester - has won 3 of them too... ;) )

Edited by isgill88
  • Like 1

WhoScored.com@WhoScored 5 hrs5 hours ago

Aston Villa: Since Tim Sherwood took charge, only Man City & Arsenal (19 each) have scored more goals in the PL than Aston Villa (17) #avfc

I bloody love that stat. I know it's hard (as others have said quite correctly) to extrapolate Tim's part of this season over a whole season. But I'm very optimistic about next season, and for me, optimism and hope are key parts of being a supporter. You always need to feel that ''maybe we could" feeling, which was absent under Lambert, certainly towards the end of his tenure.

This!

I even lost that 'maybe we could stay up' feeling when Lambert left!

Thank f*** for Timmy Tactics... Bloody love the bloke I do!

John Carver isn't going to be happy then.

Why?.. He's the best coach in the league right!

Exactly, he'll be spitting feathers when José inevitably picks up the gong

Moving it on from another thread, this 4-3-2-1 is interesting. Very Championship Manager!

It's a bit 90s, but when it all clicks and we have 2 players in behind Benteke that can beat a player, find space and create. It's a thing of beauty!

WhoScored.com@WhoScored 5 hrs5 hours ago

Aston Villa: Since Tim Sherwood took charge, only Man City & Arsenal (19 each) have scored more goals in the PL than Aston Villa (17) #avfc

I bloody love that stat. I know it's hard (as others have said quite correctly) to extrapolate Tim's part of this season over a whole season. But I'm very optimistic about next season, and for me, optimism and hope are key parts of being a supporter. You always need to feel that ''maybe we could" feeling, which was absent under Lambert, certainly towards the end of his tenure.

This!

I even lost that 'maybe we could stay up' feeling when Lambert left!

Thank f*** for Timmy Tactics... Bloody love the bloke I do!

What do you mean Timmy Tactics??? He ain't got none!! You ask Spuds fans!!

I remember when Sherwood took over I think he said we would need six wins to survive. At that moment, I thought he was close to crazy.. so low was morale and poor the teams performances that I couldn't see where the next point was coming from. He really has done a terrific job. Developing a huge man crush on him, as I am sure you are all too.

The pitch invasion Vs West Brom. That's when something changed at the club... the negativity just seemed to disappear. It's like a light was switched on, or something clicked. There has been a different feeling since and I can completely understand the outpouring of emotion leading to the pitch invasion.

Shows how are we've come, people calling that performance average.

Average ?

I heard nobody talk like that at the game and haven't seen any comment like that in this thread ?

Had we not been in such a mess when he took over, it would still have been above average.....given had one save to make, some of our football, particularly first half, was excellent, and we looked dangerous regularly.

Given that we were in fact in a mess, it should be seen in that context, and as such considerably above average.

My god it doesn't take much for fans to raise their demands if that is now average !

I said we were average today, and I still think so. This wasn't our best game at all.

However, my main point was that it's a sign of a good team when they can win even with an average performance like today.

Well fair enough if that's how you saw it, but for me while I agree it wasn't our best game, and also agree that being so the victory in many ways means more, and tells us more,I can't call that performance average. First half, IMO, we played some really good football. We dominated possession, meaningfully too for the most part, defended well, and our midfield were everywhere.

Compared to god knows how many other of our games, and a season full of other matches on sky, I would class it as above average.

I would put our performances against Newcastle, stoke, and Swansea as average.

Anyway, I do agree that a 1-0 with some fight and grit is a good sign.

New Villa average ;)? Edited by AVTuco

A big part of football management is confidence and this is reflected by our performances under Sherwood. He and Lambert are just chalk and cheese.

Only thing that worries me is that, so far, Sherwood is looking like MON mk 2. Great motivator, and has 'favorites' when it comes to team selection. I just hope he doesn't turn out like MON when it comes to buying players and negotiating contracts (Fox may help there), and reacting to the bad run when it comes.

A big part of football management is confidence and this is reflected by our performances under Sherwood. He and Lambert are just chalk and cheese.

Only thing that worries me is that, so far, Sherwood is looking like MON mk 2. Great motivator, and has 'favorites' when it comes to team selection. I just hope he doesn't turn out like MON when it comes to buying players and negotiating contracts (Fox may help there), and reacting to the bad run when it comes.

The football (so far) is better than under MON. That was more kick-and-rush, and our players tired badly by the end of the season. So far, under Tim, we are very careful about where we pass, we move a lot more (into good positions) and only use counter attacking when it is the best choice - as in, when the opposition's attacks break down.

• Like 4

Â