The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I made my judgment on what he was like as a captain of a championship winning side and what a decent job he did at Spurs....never could understand their decision, probably got a bit ahead of themselves, like i think we can be guilty of at times.

No one can ever be sure if a manger will do well unless you go for some of the best in the world and then you have to feed them with a kings ransom.

We have never been successful with semi- high profile managers, we have always done better with the low profile types.

young and hungry can apply to managers as well as players.

Well done so far, Tim

He is a winner.

Acid test for me will be when we hit a bad patch. TS has not really had one yet.

Another factor will be the possibility of losing key players in the summer. I don't think we'll keep hold of Cleverley. If we were to lose Benteke as well, it would be 2 out of the top 4 or 5 that we we would struggle to replace like for like.

true that will be a challenge but he has already turned the club around from what was a bad patch though not of his own making and I think he is a lot more savvy than his media reputation 

Don't get me wrong-I have 100% trust and confidence in him-He has a similar ratio at 2 different clubs now. The only thing people can pick up on is the comparatively small amount of games he has under his belt. Turning round a loosing streak will go a long way to counter that.

Like most people I talk to, I'm really enjoying football again. I want to buy papers and read about it, I want to go on the net and find out whats been happening at AV, I want to watch MOTD and other such shows. Most importantly, I can't wait for match day to arrive and am really enjoying watching us play. I'd forgotten what these feelings were like and its all down to Tim Sherwood.

• Like 2

Acid test for me will be when we hit a bad patch. TS has not really had one yet.

What would you call the patch we were in when he took over? Plus the 2 defeats after that? That was one of our worst runs in decades and he pulled us out of it pretty well.

As far as I can see he's unlikely to ever have such a bad run to pull a club out of again in his entire career, so I don't buy that line of thinking at all

• Like 4

Nobody is asking you to buy it, it is what I think, I'm not trying to sell the idea to the masses -The simple fact is that every team hits a slump at some point. Roy Keane  for example hit one with Sunderland and couldn't turn it around. Brian Little had the same problem here in the 90's. The mark of a good manager is having the ability to do so and I'm sure TS will. If you start getting carried away with a manager after 30 games, you will get people like you popping up claiming they "don't buy it".

I think people are in for shock if they think we're just going to keep on winning game after game because Sherwood's that good of a manager, of course we're going to go through bad patches.

Not really, again, using Sunderland as an example, DiCanio did exactly the same when he took them over, Advocatt is currently doing the same.

To prove yourself in the PL, it needs to be done over a lot longer than 30 games and without the "new manager bounce" factor.

• Like 1

The new manager bounce doesn't exist. It's statistically proven to be negligible at most

I think people are in for shock if they think we're just going to keep on winning game after game because Sherwood's that good of a manager, of course we're going to go through bad patches.

Nobody that I've seen has suggested we'll keep on winning game after game, though. As I'm sure you well know

• Like 2

Not really, again, using Sunderland as an example, DiCanio did exactly the same when he took them over, Advocatt is currently doing the same.

To prove yourself in the PL, it needs to be done over a lot longer than 30 games and without the "new manager bounce" factor.

Di Canio momentum was gone after about 4 games when we beat them 6-1

Sherwood has managed more games for Villa than Di Canio did for Sunderland

On MOTD2 just. Really funny clip on the 2 Good 2 Bad bit at the end. Bella wiggles around in front of Tim showing him Sherwood on her shirt. He looks a bit embarrassed. Funny clip. Wish i cd see it again. ☺

The new manager bounce doesn't exist. It's statistically proven to be negligible at most

Yes it does.

But it's a reversion to the mean as opposed to the effect of a new manager.

So if a team is underperforming, the "new manager bounce" is merely an effect of the team not underperforming under the old manager.

Which basically means you can't just bring in 15 managers spread throughout the season and harness the bounce to win you the league :D Because your team will just perform as they should perform.

However, with that being said, Sherwood has gone beyond that bounce now. He's got us performing better than that imo.

Â