The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Telegraph linking us to Monk from Swansea

http://tinyurl.com/qavk3tz

Well of course. Swansea are in freefall, so obviously their manage is the ideal candidate for us. You couldn't make this stuff up. The two main contenders to replace Sherwood are Moyes and Monk, both of whom are struggling in their current jobs (regardless of their previous performance, experience, pedigree). We should be looking for a manager who is on the up and looking to take us forward, not someone who is trying to escape their current job.

The way I see it is as follows -

Tim is currently one league defeat away from getting the sack i.e. we lose against Swansea and he's gone. The cup game at Southampton is a free hit in my eyes. Even if we beat Swansea, if we lose against Spurs that might be enough for the board to pull the trigger (depending on how far adrift we are then), but certainly defeat against Spurs and Man City and he's gone, regardless of a win against Swansea.

If he somehow manages to win the Swansea game and then get at least a point from Spurs, so he manages to conjure up 4-6 points from our next 2 games, then I think he will be given both the Man City and Everton games - from those I suspect he will need 2 points at least to survive. If he can do that, then a win against Watford will see him still in charge by the time we face Newcastle, regardless of our results against Southampton and Arsenal in the league.

So, in summary -  if we can beat Swansea and then pick up at least 3 points from Spurs, City and Everton (including at least 1 point from Spurs), I think he will still be in charge against Watford. If we then beat Watford, I think he will still be in charge against Newcastle. Bottom line - he just needs to stop the rot.

Sorry, you lost me at 'win'.

• Like 2

I think Bob Bradley would be fantastic. His CV is excellent. He has shown himself to be a highly motivated, pragmatic organiser of men. I am given the strong impression that everywhere he has been he has gotten every ounce of talent out of the players at his disposal.

He is one of the founding fathers of "soccer" in the US and is credited with turning the US national team into a genuine force by making them well drilled, well organised and making the very most of their strengths. He is everything Sherwood is not as well as some of the things he is and has the skillset that translates to pretty much every level.

I can't help but think that he's basically kicking back in Norway, enjoying life. But if he wants the limelight and the challenge we could do much, much worse.

He's actively trying to get to a bigger club, there just hasn't been any serious interest. Which is very strange.

The problem i see with Villa.. is they are playing a target man yet trying to play the Arsenal/Barcelona style where they pass it from the back and try and work it forward.

Now i see many problems with that.

Lescott Guzan Hutton are not that style of players to play this way. Whats the point of starting Gestede? Whos providing the supply when you have a narrow midfield? relying on centre backs who cant cross? especially when you remove Amavi.

To me this just smacks of Sherwood not having a plan. If you are going to play Gil and Grealish and want to play it from the back.. you need to have players comfortable on the ball. He previously played Sinclair upfront and left Gil and Grealish on the bench and used defensive midfielders in that game.

Sinclair would thrive upfront with Gil and Grealish behind him as he MOVES. Its a style clash and the longer we persist with Gestede and these players at the back.. then it wont work.

Id like to see us play on the attack against Swansea.

-----------------------------Bunn------------------------------

Bacuna------Okore/Clark------Richards-------Amavi

------------------Gueye----------Veretout-------------------

Agbonalhor--------------Gil---------------------Grealish

---------------------------Sinclair-----------------------------

There may not be much cover but screw it.. even when we do have cover it fails. If its a bit too attacking... something like:

-----------------------------Bunn------------------------------

Bacuna------Okore/Clark------Richards-------Amavi

------------------Gueye--------Sanchez--------------------

Gil----------------------Veretout---------------------Grealish

---------------------------Sinclair-----------------------------

We need width and movement. We are far too narrow.. going wide doesnt mean just crosses but to open up the play a little and Gil and Grealish NEED to get forward.. they sit far too deep for my liking. I hate seeing Gil pick up the ball at half way off Westwood and he makes a forward play and hes stuck down field. Grealish the same... gets the ball flat footed far too deep. We need these guys getting the ball the way we feed Hutton who usually finds space and puts in woeful crosses. We need our key players there.. that way they can beat their defender and force their central players to move from their position to free up our attack.

The way we play at the moment is just go wide to our full backs.. hit a shit cross to a standing still Gestede. No wonder its boring and doesnt work. Keeping possession around the back has just caused far too many errors.. GIVE IT TO THOSE WHO CAN PLAY IN ADVANCED POSITIONS.

• Like 2

I know he's only recently gone to Glasgow but I'd have a look at Warburton. I saw a lot of him at Brentford and although there was a small amount of talk about him before Sherwood took over, I didn't think he was ready then. Having seen what he's been doing north of the border in the last few months though, I'm starting to think he's the real deal.

• Like 1

I think Bob Bradley would be fantastic. His CV is excellent. He has shown himself to be a highly motivated, pragmatic organiser of men. I am given the strong impression that everywhere he has been he has gotten every ounce of talent out of the players at his disposal.

He is one of the founding fathers of "soccer" in the US and is credited with turning the US national team into a genuine force by making them well drilled, well organised and making the very most of their strengths. He is everything Sherwood is not as well as some of the things he is and has the skillset that translates to pretty much every level.

I can't help but think that he's basically kicking back in Norway, enjoying life. But if he wants the limelight and the challenge we could do much, much worse.

I think the problem might not necessarily be him but more how the players respond to him. He might struggle to get respect from them as he didn't do anything as a player and as he's never managed at a high level, he might not know how to deal with them. Plus, the fact that he's an American may mean that some players are automatically pre-disposed to not listen to him when it comes to footballing matters. Obviously this is wrong but I can just imagine someone like Gabby saying 'What would he know? He's a Yank'.

• Like 3

I think the problem might not necessarily be him but more how the players respond to him. He might struggle to get respect from them as he didn't do anything as a player and as he's never managed at a high level, he might not know how to deal with them. Plus, the fact that he's an American may mean that some players are automatically pre-disposed to not listen to him when it comes to footballing matters. Obviously this is wrong but I can just imagine someone like Gabby saying 'What would he know? He's a Yank'.

Gabby wouldn't say that, it's two sentences long and doesn't contain the word 'erm'.

• Like 1

Kinda confused as why the media lot are all defending him ...

I can understand mitigating circumstances ..losing Benteke , other managers struggling by he seems immune from any criticism for our performances this season. 

Kinda confused as why the media lot are all defending him ...

I can understand mitigating circumstances ..losing Benteke , other managers struggling by he seems immune from any criticism for our performances this season. 

Because he's a media darling and always opening his mouth to them

Bob Bradley is too much of a risk we need someone who knows the league and has managed at the top level here before

Hiddink would be my number one choice although it would never happen but i'd take Moyes Rodgers 

Edited by AshVilla

My thoughts are that the English premier league in unique - its pace, power, ariel threat aren't so prevalent in any other leagues, thats why so many overseas managers flounder over hear. Im gutted we missed Big Sam - but onwards and upwards ......I actually think we will beat swansea on saturday - thus prolonging the agony - but you never know the stars may align that we sack Sherwood as Moyes gets the sack.....

Of the muted names Moyes would be my first choice - I wouldn't rule out Laudrup, Bradley I feel has potential, but would be risky , I wouldn't want Person or Rodgers.

All that said I really think we are up against it , I don't think we have the players this season. I m not totally convinced we haven't spunked £50m up the wall to be honest..  

Not sure that's why to be honest, think i'ts more about player culture and senior UK players not willing to adapt their behavior to the new managers more professional  ideas.

Also not sure more foreign managers fail than UK ones, rather the opposite.

Look at the current league table.

Of the current top 10 teams only Crystal Palace are managed by an UK manager the other ones are all foreigners, pretty sure Chelsea and Mourinho will join the top pretty soon as well.

I 100% wan't us to hire a foreign manager (obviously not just anyone) now even more so now that a large part of our new recruits are from abroad.

• Like 1

Interesting this from Collymore..

After 6 years of doing an official Aston Villa programme column, today I've been notified by the club that they no longer wish me to continue due to my support of Tim Sherwood and fierce criticism of the ownership and club structure.

The club felt is essence that it would be inappropriate for me to write positively in a column whilst being critical on air or in a newspaper.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snmi6a

I presume his criticism over the ownership was what did it, not so much the support for Sherwood.. right..

waiting for the response from the club - 

after 6 years of doing an official aston villa programme column as well as a weekly column in the national press and a daily show of national radio we have come to the realisation that stan collymore is a bellend

the club feels in essence that its inappropriate to write one thing in one form of media and then discuss another thing on another form of media depending on which ever suits what ever arguement he is trying to have

Â